2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Made me wonder if it's valid to pass the shot. I could hardly keep the bow on target, I wouldn't have taken the shot in a hunting situation. I feel like with high winds animals stick tight and you have more going on to cover your sneak. I would have tried to close the distance, or let it go.
yes, you should pass any shot you wouldn't take on a hunt.

Remember, it's not five-arrows-in-5-days' challenge, it's 5 arrows total. Just no practice shots between arrows.

Two years ago in the challenge, we had high wind. I went out, drew and looked at my site picture. I could tell it was not gonna be good. So I passed on that day. Picked right back up the next day with my next arrow and was glad I passed.

Main thing is, you just can't practice between shots. Seems like some guys have taken two weeks to finish the challenge, but they didn't disqualify themselves as they didn't shoot any arrows between days.

you got this Billy Goat!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
My MER is a lot shorter in the wind- skinny arrows or not.
yip, my skinny arrows move with the wind too.

So to be clear, don't adjust your MER on a windy day, just skip that day.

It's max MER, so whatever you'd shoot max with good conditions.

SHoug07

FNG
Oh man.... competition is heating up..... Any tips on hand torque? Just put one in the 2x4 frame because I started letting the stress get to me and torqued my wrist 😓

I am pretty new to it but a pointer I have gotten is not to wrap fingers around riser, just slightly rest index and middle finger on front. Other then that another option is maybe a finger sling instead of wrist strap.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
And another Rokslider asked me "My MER Is shorter now than it will be by hunting season, as I've only been shooting my bow for a few weeks, so what should I shoot for MER?"

your MER if you were going hunting tomorrow is what you should shoot.

I'm shooting 55 right now, but hoping to be to 60 by hunting season.

yes, you should pass any shot you wouldn't take on a hunt.

Remember, it's not five-arrows-in-5-days' challenge, it's 5 arrows total. Just no practice shots between arrows.

Two years ago in the challenge, we had high wind. I went out, drew and looked at my site picture. I could tell it was not gonna be good. So I passed on that day. Picked right back up the next day with my next arrow and was glad I passed.

Main thing is, you just can't practice between shots. Seems like some guys have taken two weeks to finish the challenge, but they didn't disqualify themselves as they didn't shoot any arrows between days.

you got this Billy Goat!

I was trying to count not shooting an arrow as a shot arrow. Lots of times not shooting is a good shot, especially if you have fought target panic. Hard to sacrifice 5 days of shooting. Guess it's only 4, you can keep shooting after your arrow on day 5.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Ready to go! Sent plenty of arrows down range today knowing I’ll be itching with the one arrow limit. Some winter weather this weekend will make for some good hunting scenarios

833258F6-A59D-4960-8C18-DC15120637EB.jpeg3D09775D-7D67-4166-ABEC-E8BA1335C3F0.jpeg

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh man.... competition is heating up..... Any tips on hand torque? Just put one in the 2x4 frame because I started letting the stress get to me and torqued my wrist

Try ready all 4 fingers on the side of the bow. Like making a fist and having the bows weight on the meaty part of your thumb if that makes sense.

Your hand will be twisted 45 degrees with your wrist bent and hand almost straight up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I was trying to count not shooting an arrow as a shot arrow. Lots of times not shooting is a good shot, especially if you have fought target panic. Hard to sacrifice 5 days of shooting. Guess it's only 4, you can keep shooting after your arrow on day 5.

I think you’re understanding me. And you are right, letting down on a shot on an animal is a good thing.

However we’re not gonna count that as a shot. That’s why you don’t have to shoot consecutive days. Just have to shoot five arrows even if it took 9 days for an example.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, is our MER line of sight or angle compensated? If my MER is 40, but with angle, I aim for 35, do I break any rules?

No, as long as it’s your personal MER that you feel l is stretching you a bit, you’re all good. I think adding in angle is a great idea.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Is this still starting today?
I don’t know. A few things are out of my hands in this. You’ll understand once I open it.

I’ll tell you what, don’t shoot more than one arrow today and if by 3 PM MTN Time, I know it’s not going to start, I’ll let everybody know on here then you can continue to practice.

best I can do at this point...

I don’t know. A few things are out of my hands in this. You’ll understand once I open it.

I’ll tell you what, don’t shoot more than one arrow today and if by 3 PM MTN Time, I know it’s not going to start, I’ll let everybody know on here then you can continue to practice.

best I can do at this point...
Thanks Robby!

Heck yea! Im excited for this one. Too bad we have 25mph winds in Michigan today (50mph on Monday! Not slowing down until next Wednesday). My MER is less than half than usual!

jkdrgn

Lil-Rokslider
Testing...

Attachments

• 139A60CF-8348-480C-BFAF-305F8C9A79F8.jpeg
    139A60CF-8348-480C-BFAF-305F8C9A79F8.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 28

Ten Bears

WKR
I have shot my one arrow for the day at my MER in anticipation of the potential opener today. Winds are a solid 15/20 with gusts of 40mph. I think it helped groove my arrow closer!

Last edited: