2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

MER: 30 yards - I haven't shot in a few months, and hopefully this gets me back into it.

Bow: RealmX 70lbs
Site: Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL with the double pin pointer
Rest: QAD Ultra Rest HDX
Stabilizer: 12" Octane
Quiver: Tight Spot Whitetail edition (Has the hanging loop)

Arrow: CE Maxima Hunter 350
Broadhead: Slick Trick 100g - I change broad heads all the time.

Day 1:
Weather: 30*F and a 10-15 mile wind blowing at the target
1586824717057.png
1586824841865.png

MER: 30 yards - I haven't shot in a few months, and hopefully this gets me back into it.

Bow: RealmX 70lbs
Site: Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL with the double pin pointer
Rest: QAD Ultra Rest HDX
Stabilizer: 12" Octane
Quiver: Tight Spot Whitetail edition (Has the hanging loop)

Arrow: CE Maxima Hunter 350
Broadhead: Slick Trick 100g - I change broad heads all the time.

Day 1:
Weather: 30*F and a 10-15 mile wind blowing at the target
View attachment 170836
View attachment 170837
Hey man, welcome to the CBC

two things- this is on the wrong thread.

and that MER seems a little close! You need to tell us what your vital size is. And if was that lower circle, you're definitely too close. If it was center of target, then maybe you're right on the MER.

Don't wanna hassle you, but you gotta push yourself on this

Let us know your thoughts

@Travis Bertrand @realunlucky

Hey man, welcome to the CBC

two things- this is on the wrong thread.

and that MER seems a little close! You need to tell us what your vital size is. And if was that lower circle, you're definitely too close. If it was center of target, then maybe you're right on the MER.

Don't wanna hassle you, but you gotta push yourself on this

Let us know your thoughts

@Travis Bertrand @realunlucky

I can push it out to 40. I typically hunt whitetail and haven't ever shot one past 30. I'll make it more challenging. Thanks for the heads up on the wrong thread haha! I'll repost this with the caveat of pushing it to 40 for the next 5 shots and start over if that works.

Guys - I just can't help but punch the trigger, wind or no wind - probably why my last two shots have been poor - man, I need to get better 😐 I try to circle the pin around the spot and release but my mind is screaming "now!!!" anytime the pin passes over the aiming point. On a side note, it's pretty awesome that Randy Ulmer is doing this challenge! I have read tons of his articles and loved them all 👍

I can push it out to 40. I typically hunt whitetail and haven't ever shot one past 30. I'll make it more challenging. Thanks for the heads up on the wrong thread haha! I'll repost this with the caveat of pushing it to 40 for the next 5 shots and start over if that works.
yes, go ahead and copy it over to the correct thread, then put a note in there that you're gonna restart the challenge tomorrow for your five arrows with a new MER. At least go 35. I understand you're a whitetail hunter, and we do take that into account.

You'll be glad you're pushing yourself. We've let a few guys stay in at 25-30 yards with compounds but they're either very new archers or been off a long time. A few ladies are in at 30 too.

Guys - I just can't help but punch the trigger, wind or no wind - probably why my last two shots have been poor - man, I need to get better 😐 I try to circle the pin around the spot and release but my mind is screaming "now!!!" anytime the pin passes over the aiming point. On a side note, it's pretty awesome that Randy Ulmer is doing this challenge! I have read tons of his articles and loved them all 👍
hey man, that's very common what you're experiencing. Most call it Target Panic or TP. I'm sure some guys on here can point you to some resources to work on that. The way I understand it, it doesn't fix itself.

Good luck and glad you're learning something already.

For those of you shooting with so much wind are you canting into the wind or holding off?

Shit I'm just trying to hold in the target. We have had odd winds here lately. Big fronts coming through that are spawning tornadoes down south. Wind isn't even consistent, while I'm trying to hold it's changing directions. I would hold of into the wind but it's swirling and really stiff.

Doing the Archery version of pull and pray.

What do you mean canting into the wind? I typically hold off. Open to new methods but hadn't heard of that one.
I think it was Dudley that had mentioned instead of holding off you can put your pin on the target and cant your top limb into the wind so far depending on the wind havent been able to get accurate with this method myself but it is very interesting how much of a difference canting your bow even a little can make on your POI

Last edited:
I'd like to know who else has managed to bust an Exodus in a target? I mean am I special or what?

IMG_20200413_121236509.jpg

That's just how bad I f'ed up my shot today.
Either their is something in the top of the target or it went through some of the roofing that's in the air around here.

I'd like to know who else has managed to bust an Exodus in a target? I mean am I special or what?

View attachment 170884

That's just how bad I f'ed up my shot today.
Either their is something in the top of the target or it went through some of the roofing that's in the air around here.
Is that a GD full rut? I'm using what's left of my insert as my vitals but I have definitely hit some hard spots in the past on that target. Some were in odd spots...

Is that a GD full rut? I'm using what's left of my insert as my vitals but I have definitely hit some hard spots in the past on that target. Some were in odd spots...

It probably is. Honestly it's old enough I don't know what it is. But it's had more heads than inserts. Some damn wood pecker every year went into the throat patch and down the center of the neck, hollowed the whole damn extension that the head rotated on til it fell off. Haven't used it in a bit, it was what I had that I figured might stop broadheads and I didn't care if I tore it up.

Back