2020 DIY Idaho Elk Hunt - 1st Year

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Happy New Year everyone!

This year I and 2 other friends will be embarking on an experience I've always dreamt of and that is to go on an elk hunt. We will be taking advantage of the disabled veteran non-resident tags. Being that 2 of us have never hunted elk, we're thinking it would likely be better to hunt rifle so we will be going with a B tag. We haven't selected a unit yet, but Weiser River seems to be a good option.

One of us grew up hunting elk in Montana but hasn't hunted elk in quite a few years. All of us are waterfowl and deer hunters. We will likely be bringing a camper and potentially backpacking if necessary. We will have access to horses for packing out.

My question to the Rokslide universe is, what advice could you offer for 3 guys from Missouri/Kansas who are looking to DIY elk hunt in Idaho for the first time, likely rife in late October/early November? Any particular gear you would advise of? Tactics or tips? Any general areas if you're familiar with the area to draw to or look for in e-scouting? Any areas to stay away from?

I appreciate any advice any of you may have for us and I wish you all the best of luck in 2020!

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Looks like your a fellow Jarhead-I did just what your talking about and would be happy to relay what I can

Weiser-lots of elk, lots of hunters, lots of roads, lots of private. Not a bad choice but you’ll work for your elk, though not necessarily climbing big mountains like Central Idaho. Good luck.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Remember that one quarter of an elk weighs as much as the average dressed out whitetail. Dealing with the meat is a huge part of an elk hunt. You will likely be packing the animal out on your back over several trips.

There is lots of info on here regarding gear to bring; just be in the best shape possible. I’m hitting the gym every day to prepare for next season, and I live at 5000’ in elevation. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
SemperHunter

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Remember that one quarter of an elk weighs as much as the average dressed out whitetail. Dealing with the meat is a huge part of an elk hunt. You will likely be packing the animal out on your back over several trips.

There is lots of info on here regarding gear to bring; just be in the best shape possible. I’m hitting the gym every day to prepare for next season, and I live at 5000’ in elevation. Good luck!

We'll have horses available for packing out which will make the pack out easier. I'm definitely not in good enough shape at the moment to do this so I'm working on it. If I were in better shape I'd try to tackle central Idaho. I'll be busting tail to get in as good of shape as possible.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the means join the Mtn Tough community. They are a fitness based company out of Bozeman and offer online fitness programs. I joined a couple months ago and it awesome. I’m from Wisconsin so the in shape part of hunting out west is the most important factor.

Jbake108

FNG
Get in shape. Shoot as much as you can. Call biologists. Come up with a plan/options. Iron out your gear. If your gonna stay off your back do some trips at home to get dialed. Don’t let anything stop you from going. If one of your buddies bail, weather, money(budget now), the horses aren’t available, whatever it is that might come up. Prepare and enjoy yourself and you will not regret it.

Fullfan

WKR
As mentioned, get in shape. And when you think you are ready add 4 more mile and 25 more pounds to your work out. Been hunting Idaho since 1983 as a nonresident. Idaho will humble you, wear you out mentally and physically.
But what a rush it is.

I’d like to hear how your hunt goes - the good, bad and ugly. I was planning a first-time archery hunt to Idaho this year and missed the window for a NR OTC General tag when they sold out last week. So, instead, I’m taking a 2 week scouting/camping trip to get the lay of the land and check out the areas I was planning to hunt.

Concur with the above comments, especially it getting in shape and getting/using quality gear. There’s loads of info out there.

Good luck and Semper Fi

As everyone has mentioned being in shape will make your trip much more enjoyable. With that said, make sure you have good boots and a good layering system. ID weather in Oct can vary greatly. Be prepared with good insulation if you are going to do the backpacking/country portion. Nights have a high likelyhood of being cold. Mostly enjoy the experience and learn from it. Good luck!

1234AveA

Lil-Rokslider
My 2 hunting buddies and I are also going for our first Elk this year in Idaho. We are all coming from Florida so we have to get creative with our training to try to get ready for the mountains.

Best of luck!

My buddies and I (all of us from the Corps as well) did an Elk hunt last year for archery, let me tell you it was miserable. Opening weekend and near record temps for hear, which caused almost no animals to move. It was beautiful country and a great experience. We are headed back out this year again, but for rifle as a nice change of pace. Good luck out there brother, semper

OP
SemperHunter

SemperHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My buddies and I (all of us from the Corps as well) did an Elk hunt last year for archery, let me tell you it was miserable. Opening weekend and near record temps for hear, which caused almost no animals to move. It was beautiful country and a great experience. We are headed back out this year again, but for rifle as a nice change of pace. Good luck out there brother, semper
Hell yeah, we’ll be out there for rifle as well. Good luck to you also!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wth? Is this an every Marine a rifleman reunion or what?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm not opposed to a post hunt beer somewhere on the way back if the dates lined up haha. Semper- did you guys get additional tags or just elk?