2020 Field Report - Rifle Scopes

slowelk

WKR
I did my rifle hunting with a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the MOAR reticle. I shot two elk and one mule deer, at 480, 425, and 210. The mule deer was a mature buck and was dropped with one frontal shot at 10AM, the scope was everything I needed in that situation. The elk were both at first light, and in those situations I was left wanting for more magnification in the lower light situation. I also didn't enjoy uncapping the elevation turret to dial for the two 400+ yard shots - some may argue that dialing was unnecessary, but I wanted to dial.

I have a 300 win mag coming, and I had another SHV 3-10 ready to be mounted on it, but now I am leaning towards more magnification.

With the majority of 2020 rifle seasons in the rear view mirror I'd like to know how the optic you used on your 2020 rifle hunts performed and if you are satisfied, or if you're looking to make a change. In either case what were you using and why or why not are you satisfied?

Full disclosure, I am very intrigued by the Maven RS3 and its reported function, weight, mag range. What's out there about it is good, but there isn't much at this point, so I'll be particularly interested if you used an RS3.

Bacwest

FNG
I have the leupold cds vx5 and absolutely love it. Its extremely accurate and easy to use. Highly recommend.

I also really like Maven optics but the cds system for long range imo is hard to beat.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
I have several different scopes but my favorite right now is my Sig Sauer Whiskey 5 5x25 with the milling hunter recital been using it since it came out. I am in the don't dial group and with that recital you can Kentucky windage any shootable distance you are comfortable to.

The same thoughts are going through my head about ideal scope magnification on my 300wm. I've used a Swaro Z6i 5-30x50 with the ballistic turret and 4A-i reticle and have been happy with it. Taken two elk and one muley with it. The elk were at 185 and 375 and walking. The muley was at 275 and running.
The last elk is what made me start rethinking my scope. It went into heavy timber and had to track it for a long time. While walking through the heavy timber I wished for a lower magnification scope since the 5x was too much for the shot i was afraid I'd have to take.
I am now looking at going to either the new Z8i 2-16x50 or maybe the 3.5-28x50. I will look forward to seeing what feedback you get and which direction you go with yours.
Best of luck!

22lr

WKR
So I was planning on putting a PST on my 30-06 for the years hunting. But thanks to COVID, my 6 month vacation to a place that rhymes with Stan got a 3month extension. I can't complain too much, others had their 12month tours extended by the same time, but I missed 80% of my season prep time. But, I at least got home in time to quarantine, get 75miles of pavement hiking on my new boots, and get my rifle zeroed. Definitely not ideal, but it I felt good enough to go.

As I was installing my scope the day before the 1 chance I had at zeroing, I realized the rings I had were not tall enough for my PST to clear the rear sight on my Win-70 (Using luepold QD rings and mounts). So, I figured I'd just make do with a 3-12x42mm Diamondback that I had handy. I have to say, after 2 trips and killing 2 Caribou and 2 Blacktails, im pretty confident that its a pretty bomb proof scope. Took plenty of hits while strapped to my pack, never lost zero. I will be using my PST 4-16x42 for 2021 as I'd prefer the better glass, FFP and dialing, but as a stopgap scope, I was very impressed and after the Caribou trip I didnt bother replacing it for the Blacktail trip.

20200811_165934.jpg

Rich M

WKR
I've got a couple scopes that I'd say are good - Leica ER, Leupold VX2, Viper, and believe it or not - not too far behind was a Diamondback.

The 40mm Diamondback went 20 min before sunrise & almost 25 min after sunset on a cloudy day - beat 30 min on a clear day. Surprised me. I rarely shoot anything in low light anyway.

The Leica can count points pushing an hour after sundown when the animal might be a smudge, so can't just say that's "good". The VX2 and Viper are solid.

KNASH

Lil-Rokslider
Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 X 42. Great for range, shot a cow elk @ 180 and discovered later the exposed windage dial had been moved going into/out of the scabbard on the horse. We did not recover the elk, and I learned a lesson about checking dials every time I touch the rifle. I'm considering using a scope with locked or capped dials for horse hunts going forward.

JakeSCH

WKR
I have an RS.1 and love it, however I have been thinking about going up to an RS.3 as well. I like the idea of 30x for target shooting but the 5x on the low side makes me a little uncomfortable for hunting.

rrMT

FNG
I did my rifle hunting with a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the MOAR reticle. I shot two elk and one mule deer, at 480, 425, and 210. The mule deer was a mature buck and was dropped with one frontal shot at 10AM, the scope was everything I needed in that situation. The elk were both at first light, and in those situations I was left wanting for more magnification in the lower light situation. I also didn't enjoy uncapping the elevation turret to dial for the two 400+ yard shots - some may argue that dialing was unnecessary, but I wanted to dial.

I have a 300 win mag coming, and I had another SHV 3-10 ready to be mounted on it, but now I am leaning towards more magnification.

With the majority of 2020 rifle seasons in the rear view mirror I'd like to know how the optic you used on your 2020 rifle hunts performed and if you are satisfied, or if you're looking to make a change. In either case what were you using and why or why not are you satisfied?

Full disclosure, I am very intrigued by the Maven RS3 and its reported function, weight, mag range. What's out there about it is good, but there isn't much at this point, so I'll be particularly interested if you used an RS3.
I used a NF nx8 2.5-20 this year, it's a great scope, I'm sure I will be using it for many years to come, only downside is it makes me pretty critical of all the other scopes on my other rifles mostly vortex and couple zeiss