Nightforce Question

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who have used the nightforce shv, are the clicks as crisp as the higher end nightforce’s such at the NX8? I got one, a demo SHV and compared to the NX8, extremely sloppy. Even compared to my Zeiss v4 it was sloppy. Didn’t seem like the Nightforce quality I expected. Is this how they all are, and why are they so talked up?

It is kind of a price tier thing. Even the trijicon scopes while solid scopes, don’t hold the clicks quite like my nxs. It’s almost like the more money you spend the firmer clicks you’ll get. Anything in the $1200-$1400 and under have I ever felt have good solid clicks, or it will have solid clicks but movement or slop between clicks.

Ram94

WKR
Is having slightly less firm clicks than another scope really what determines a scopes value? They do what they are designed to do.

Some of the firmest clicking turrets are on vortex hs-t. I wouldnt judge a scope’s quality by the firmness or sloppiness of the clicks.

Fat_hog

FNG
I have had the shv line for several years and bought two of them at different times. They aren’t crisp but at least they’re consistent and track like they should, for me, I have full confidence in them. I like the repeatability and know exactly what I’m going to get

I will agree with some others here. The clicks of an NXS are how I measure other scopes clicks (mainly because Ive been using NXS models longer than any other brand) but all that being said I have come to learn that click quality has no bearing on how the scope performs internally most of the time.

I own a couple other scopes that have mushy-ish clicks but they are extremely repeatable in my experience. As long as the scope tracks the way it should, I wouldn't seat it.

Fat_hog

FNG
In fact, I’ve ran a few prs matches with the shv line. Any instance that has a mild stress component I never notice the turrets being an issue. Holdover/dial and reticle consistency with a ffp is where it counts. Love the shv…I think they’re wildly underrated for what they are.

BjornF16

WKR
I just compared my SHV to my NX8… both are firm clicks, but the SHV has more rotation per click.

Also compared to my Trijicon Tenmile. It has “mushier” rotation but I can still feel the detents.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
My NXS have better clicks, but the SHV 3.5-10x42 has capped turrets to keep dials from being knocked around. They dial fine and are just as repeatable as my NXSs. For a hunting scope where you are not dialing up and down constantly the clicks have never bothered me. I only wish it had a zero stop in the models I used, but otherwise they always work just as well as my NXS and glass is the same.