2020 mule deer

hunterjmj

WKR
Was able to find a decent buck this year! It's so much fun hunting mule deer. Last year I shot a decent four point, knocked him down, found very little blood and gave up after loosing blood and tracks the next day. I was disappointed, discouraged but it happens and life goes on. My neighbor came with me this year, who has never shot a buck bigger than a forky, but wanted to experience some more backcountry type hunting. On the third day I spotted the buck I had shot the year before and asked my neighbor if he wanted to take this buck. He was all over it, so we set up my pack for a good prone shot and he took him at 250 yards. We found my bullet from last year lodged in his neck between the muscle and hide. The bullet went under his spine and above all the arteries and stopped at the hide! Very cool ending to a terrible day a year prior. My neighbor killed a nice buck and I was able to kill a nice buck 3 days later. A707B109-EFFE-44AE-B562-C7A89B45B4FB.jpeg4A0DD242-733B-4623-B1A5-210CFBA3C9CC.jpeg

Last edited:

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Wow that's a great story and truly amazing you found out finally "what happened"! Congratulations to both of you.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Two great bucks and a great story! I’m curious what cartridge and bullet you were using last year?

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
300 WM 215gr berger

Interesting. I would have thought that cartridge and bullet would go clean through a mule deer easily. I say that because I hunted numerous trips our West with a 300 WM as well, with either a 180 gr Nosler Partition, or a 200 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for elk.

Last edited:
OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Interesting. I would have thought that cartridge and bullet would go clean through a mule deer easily. I say that because I hunted numerous trips our West with a 300 WM as well, with either a 180 gr Nosler Partition, or a 200 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for elk.
I'm not sure. I've killed lots of elk , deer and antelope with that rifle/bullet and that is the only time I've seen it. I suppose all the muscle it went through slowed it down enough to be stopped by the hide on the other side.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure. I've killed lots of elk , deer and antelope with that rifle/bullet and that is the only time I've seen it. I suppose all the muscle it went through slowed it down enough to be stopped by the hide on the other side.
I guess, and since you didn’t hit any bone you didn’t break down the animal. They’re just crazy tough some times. Both nice bucks, and a great story also. Thanx for sharing.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Yeah, I remember that day vividly because I did everything I knew and came up empty handed. That feeling of loosing an animal really sucks. I was beyond excited to see him alive although for a short period.