'24 Wyoming Range Mule Deer Update

Just did a big drive the other day where I will usually see 600 to 800 or more deer and lots of antelope
Saw maybe 100 deer and not one good buck, I think we saw 3
1 group of 40 or so antelope which are the first ones I have seen down there this winter
It is one place I will probably not hunt again and that is a bummer because I have killed many big deer and lots of antelope in that country

S.Clancy

WKR
Tell-tale will be fawn:doe ratios this spring. Interestingly, the fawn to doe ratio graph has definitely trended down over the last 35 years....says something about habitat quality and landscape scale effects....

1709324953077.png

maxx075

FNG
Do the muley bucks hold their antlers long enough to get accurate buck counts in February? When do they shed?
Been watching a decent 3x3 from my window and he's recently dropped his in the last two weeks here in UT. That or straight up disappeared.

rcook10

WKR
Do the muley bucks hold their antlers long enough to get accurate buck counts in February? When do they shed?
Still seeing 3-5 full antlered bucks on my commute this week in se wyoming. Everything from spikes to large 4 points

I don't think they just finished the flight, got the reports completed and published the article in the last week.
I'd assume flights were in January.
S.Clancey is spot on about productivity, both of the habitat and the does.

Yep overall numbers way down. Also fawn to doe ratio down so the near future isn’t looking very bright either. The population graph shows about a 65% mortality rate. From what I saw last year that number is low. For a year now they’ve been saying it was 80-90% and I think that is a more accurate number. It’s that bad.

CBar

FNG
This winter in the Wyoming range was trending very light into January, the Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) was barely 60% of normal temperatures mild, and it looked like everything was going to get a real break. Slightly further north, the National Elk Refuge didn’t even commence feeding elk until March 4th, the latest date in the history of the refuge.

Down in the Wyoming Range, conditions changed dramatically in the last month, with over 100” of snow to push the SWE to 112% of normal. So it’s good to know what few deer that did survive last year in our region went into this year in great condition, but the true toll of Winter has yet to come.

F31FB04F-3087-41EC-AFE1-8D7C3D5AD354.jpeg

This winter in the Wyoming range was trending very light into January, the Snow Water Equivalent (SWE) was barely 60% of normal temperatures mild, and it looked like everything was going to get a real break. Slightly further north, the National Elk Refuge didn’t even commence feeding elk until March 4th, the latest date in the history of the refuge.

Down in the Wyoming Range, conditions changed dramatically in the last month, with over 100” of snow to push the SWE to 112% of normal. So it’s good to know what few deer that did survive last year in our region went into this year in great condition, but the true toll of Winter has yet to come.
Agreed here. On the Pinedale side, snow accumulation ticked up a bit into February and March has been warm but somewhat snowy. Looks like it's melting more and more on the winter range now, but some of the fawns have died in the last couple weeks with some storms that came through (partly due to them being born in poor shape this spring no doubt). The next few weeks will probably be critical to get those 2023 fawns through and at least have something to show for recruitment this year. However, with does in good shape and pregnant, and mountain snow packs near average, I think 2024 fawn crops should be excellent (barring impending disaster). Stay tuned