2020 Rokslide Cooler Challenge

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
It’s that time of the year and we are revisiting soft sided coolers. So many options!

Day 1 has started and with this heat, I don’t imagine these coolers making 3-4 days. The thermometer might touch 100 today!

This year, we have Canyon Coolers, Yeti, AO Coolers, and Siberian coolers. I will post specs on the coolers hopefully later this evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
Nice job Travis, I always enjoy your cooler series. I don't have the newer model of the Yeti, mines an older one with an airtight zipper, but I find with the shape of it I can squeeze some extra air out as ice melts and/or things are removed. Removing the excess air seems to help it stay cool a bit longer.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice job Travis, I always enjoy your cooler series. I don't have the newer model of the Yeti, mines an older one with an airtight zipper, but I find with the shape of it I can squeeze some extra air out as ice melts and/or things are removed. Removing the excess air seems to help it stay cool a bit longer.

Thank you! Means a lot....

I hear you on the space thing. Air is the number one killer of ice! It takes more energy to cool air than water.

OP
Travis Bertrand

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is the end of day 3! Is your pick still in?

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
On a side note; I'm going to test a cheap cooler on how well it performs, then compare it under the same conditions when it's covered with a sleeping bag. Seems like it would be a good idea to crawl out of your bag in the morning and wrap the bag around the cooler while you're hunting. We'll see if that works.

yeti hopper 30
I had a zipper failure at the put in for a weeklong river trip, kind of a bummer. They did warranty the cooler, the warranty cooler had a zipper failure couple of weeks ago. Yeti in my mind has zipper issues.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
On a side note; I'm going to test a cheap cooler on how well it performs, then compare it under the same conditions when it's covered with a sleeping bag. Seems like it would be a good idea to crawl out of your bag in the morning and wrap the bag around the cooler while you're hunting. We'll see if that works.

It does.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I took a basic cooler and put a frozen gallon of water in it and after 24 hours in the sun I was able to pour out 7 cups of water. I then wrapped a sleeping bag around it and used another frozen gallon of water for 24 hours and it also drained off 7 cups of water. It was exactly the same temperatures outside so that had no influence. It was a dark colored sleeping bag so I wondered if that absorbed more heat and counteracted the insulation effect. No idea, but not impressive.

Blandry

WKR
The Canyon is an EXACT duplicate of the Engel soft sided cooler, which was the highest rated soft cooler for years. No surprise it performed the best.

KHNC

WKR
How did yall not include RTIC in this comparison? They seem to be the most direct competitor to yeti and they make a damn nice soft side cooler.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
At quick glace,
the canyon and the englel are the same as stated above.
the ao and the rtic are the same as well.
The yeti is different then all.
the siberian is moderately different.

at some point adding the rtic and the engle just duplicate coolers already in the shootout. I would bet a donut that they perform almost identical. The review is great as is thanks for the videos.

Last edited: