2021 Bear Success Thread

rodney482

WKR
You may not be required to retrieve the meat, but you are required to check in the hide and head with evidence of sex naturally attached within 10 days to IDF&G. It actually IS illegal to not retrieve your harvest, regardless of the meat exception. Do us all a favor, stay in your home state (along with your buddies) to needlessly shoot and leave game to rot. Idahoans respect the resource more that that.

Or be smart enough to never tell anyone what a 1/2 ass hunter you are!!!! Smh

Buddy and I only hunted one day in Idaho but he shot a cinnamon phase black bear. It was a small one, somewhere around 150 lbs was my guess. We weren't able to retreive it due to hunt ending truck issues the next morning when we were going back in to get it so no pics. Was a lot of fun. I saw the bear and got my hunting partners attention (I shot one my first time out there in 2019 so I wanted him to get one). The bear walked away before he was able to get a good shot opportunity. I called the bear back in and he was able to get a good shot at maybe 50 yards. He hit the spine (was sighted in high for a 250yd point blank range) and the bear went down. It got up on it's front legs and started toward the edge of the trail which was a 500+ ft. drop into a very brushy ravine/creek bottom. He shot it again just before it went over the edge and into a log jam. After a death moan and a few seconds it tumbled head over heels out of the log jam down the mountain into the ravine. It hit the bottom and moaned a couple more times and then it was silent so it was definitely finished. Was a fun hunt and learning experience. Sad we couldn't finish our last two days of the hunt or retreive his bear. Did quite a bit of scouting, covered alot of area and saw some elk and mulies really close which was pretty cool. I now have a second great area in ID for spring bear!

This is right up there with some of the most ridiculous sh*t I've ever heard... and I've heard some ridiculous sh*t.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Buddy and I only hunted one day in Idaho but he shot a cinnamon phase black bear. It was a small one, somewhere around 150 lbs was my guess. We weren't able to retreive it due to hunt ending truck issues the next morning when we were going back in to get it so no pics. Was a lot of fun. I saw the bear and got my hunting partners attention (I shot one my first time out there in 2019 so I wanted him to get one). The bear walked away before he was able to get a good shot opportunity. I called the bear back in and he was able to get a good shot at maybe 50 yards. He hit the spine (was sighted in high for a 250yd point blank range) and the bear went down. It got up on it's front legs and started toward the edge of the trail which was a 500+ ft. drop into a very brushy ravine/creek bottom. He shot it again just before it went over the edge and into a log jam. After a death moan and a few seconds it tumbled head over heels out of the log jam down the mountain into the ravine. It hit the bottom and moaned a couple more times and then it was silent so it was definitely finished. Was a fun hunt and learning experience. Sad we couldn't finish our last two days of the hunt or retreive his bear. Did quite a bit of scouting, covered alot of area and saw some elk and mulies really close which was pretty cool. I now have a second great area in ID for spring bear!
Bad enough to do it, but to post it on the Bear Success thread is a new form of stupid. Did you think we’d hold your hand and wipe your tears?
You shot, you figure out how to get it out.

suda0402

FNG
First bear, I took on Saturday in Montana
cafbe58e5187f47f188c1325c9acb6ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally made it happen on Memorial weekend. I drew this WA Spring Bear tag and really wanted to take advantage of getting out during the Spring and learning some new country. It is thick thick country. I had been watching a couple of bears for awhile but just could not find a way to close the distance. Met a buddy who has a tag as well and was more than happy to help me out. We woke early on Saturday morning and and spotted a smaller jet black bear within 2 minutes of glassing. We made a game plan and found an old decommissioned logging road and started the hike in.

We found ourselves 4 miles in and had an absolutely awesome shooting perch that overlooked the whole hillside I had been seeing bears on for a couple of weeks. When we first got to the spot there was an absolute giant light chocolate covered bear that was working his way into the timber at about 600yrds away. That was a beautiful bear. Once he left into the timber we continued to glass the hillside. Not 15 minutes later my buddy started pointing and mouthing " Bear, Bear, Bear" I thought he was saying that the monster fed his way back out of the hillside so I was not all that excited thinking he was out of range. I then quickly realized that another bear had started feeding up the hillside right below us! I grabbed my rifle got comfortable and got my buddy on the spotter to watch for hit or miss. I ranged the bear at 325 yrds. I dialed my scope and let one fly. The first round went just barely over the bears head and hit a rock right behind him. The bear was confused and stepped up and gave me a better shot. Seconds later, I let the second shot go and dropped him in his tracks.

It could not have worked out any better. It was a long night getting out of there and making the long 4 miles packout to the truck. I could not be happier with the boar I took and how the situation played out. First Spring Bear for me. Love looking through all the other successful post on this forum. Congrats all!

Attachments

• 20210529_184015.jpg
    20210529_184015.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 112