2021 California Bear

Bears are still out n about. The high country bears usually come down and winter around 3-5000’. That elevation is full or 2 big food sources - acorns, and manzanita berries. I look on south facing hillsides with those food sources and have no problem finding bear. I encourage you to go hunt them as they are way over populated. If the snow gets bad enough I can see them hibernating for a short time. With the snow on the ground, its a fun time to go cut tracks.
Awesome info, thanks. So if the food source at my primary spot (the lower/2000 ft range) is no longer there, I'll move up to the 3-5000 range to look for the ones who've moved down from the real high ground. I have a nice area or two in that range too, so it's perfect for a backup plan.

Moserkr

WKR
Awesome info, thanks. So if the food source at my primary spot (the lower/2000 ft range) is no longer there, I'll move up to the 3-5000 range to look for the ones who've moved down from the real high ground. I have a nice area or two in that range too, so it's perfect for a backup plan.
There are local bears at every elevation, and some monsters in the 0-3000’ range who probably never hibernate. Especially those coastal bears. Lots of food sources like oak and manzanita in the 0-3000’ range. Dont discount grasses either, all berries, carcasses, etc. They are up 20 hours a day right now feeding. My only issue with lower elevation bears is that they are more likely to be trash bears. Just remember south slopes or south facing hillsides - more likely to be full of food with that much sun. Ill be out this weekend looking for yogi’s tracks in the snow.

Dea7

FNG
Does anyone know how long the manzanitas produce cuz were I'm at they were really scarce this year and I found a good spot with them in it and it held bear but the last 2 weeks I haven't seen any fresh sign or bears seen a total of 5 bears at this spot prior I just couldn't make a play on them rough country

There are local bears at every elevation, and some monsters in the 0-3000’ range who probably never hibernate. Especially those coastal bears. Lots of food sources like oak and manzanita in the 0-3000’ range. Dont discount grasses either, all berries, carcasses, etc. They are up 20 hours a day right now feeding. My only issue with lower elevation bears is that they are more likely to be trash bears. Just remember south slopes or south facing hillsides - more likely to be full of food with that much sun. Ill be out this weekend looking for yogi’s tracks in the snow.
Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I'm pretty sure the bears in this low area are locals (I know the deer are). I've given a LOT of consideration to the trash-eating thing too, and I don't intend to ever hunt trash-eaters. With how variable bear taste can be (from what I've heard, I'm no expert), I want nothing to do with them. Luckily, the area I'm looking at is pretty remote and has a very sparse human population. Can't say for sure, but I feel like the odds are in my favor there.

The only thing I'm worried about now is being in there for several days if the weather turns to shit again (as it's forecasted to do). A little cold and rain is fine, but what we had on Monday would be very hard to deal with in the backcountry. I'm slowly accumulating high-quality gear, but it's damn expensive, so not everything I have is real high quality yet.

Totally appreciate the south slope advice. I'm looking forward to some long glassing sessions concentrated on them.

Moserkr

WKR
Does anyone know how long the manzanitas produce cuz were I'm at they were really scarce this year and I found a good spot with them in it and it held bear but the last 2 weeks I haven't seen any fresh sign or bears seen a total of 5 bears at this spot prior I just couldn't make a play on them rough country
Some years they dont produce at all. Focus on the most productive food sources and find fresh sign. Right now is when Ive seen them in huge bunches, all plump n juicy looking. It was dry earlier this season so they may not have had a good crop. I havent hunted my manzanita-bear patch yet this season so cant tell you how it is currently.

Dea7

FNG
Some years they dont produce at all. Focus on the most productive food sources and find fresh sign. Right now is when Ive seen them in huge bunches, all plump n juicy looking. It was dry earlier this season so they may not have had a good crop. I havent hunted my manzanita-bear patch yet this season so cant tell you how it is currently.
Appreciate the response I'm in c4 and we just got like a foot of snow today so we'll see how it goes

Moserkr

WKR
Appreciate the response I'm in c4 and we just got like a foot of snow today so we'll see how it goes
Snows good. I dont bother hunting bear without it after deer season, mainly because I cant glass them where I hunt. All spot/stalk. Go cut tracks!!

180ls1

WKR
Does anyone have thoughts or guidance on how archery season stacks up compared to rifle? I am in the beginning stages of research and it seems like most are killed with rifle but I know that is somewhat tangential to deer season and having both tags. I need to locate them first, would archery give me a better shot at doing so?

Moserkr

WKR
Does anyone have thoughts or guidance on how archery season stacks up compared to rifle? I am in the beginning stages of research and it seems like most are killed with rifle but I know that is somewhat tangential to deer season and having both tags. I need to locate them first, would archery give me a better shot at doing so?
Ive seen a few during archery season but if you target them spot and stalk, I dont see why hunting more wont help. They are all over during archery due to many food sources. Most encounter I have are by chance. But you wont find them sitting at home (unless you live in tahoe).

180ls1

WKR
Ive seen a few during archery season but if you target them spot and stalk, I dont see why hunting more wont help. They are all over during archery due to many food sources. Most encounter I have are by chance. But you wont find them sitting at home (unless you live in tahoe).
Thanks for that. I live in San Diego so best I can tell I need to head north at least 5 hrs. With other, out of state hunts I cant run up there all the time so I am just trying to strategize. It's looking like I am probably best off hitting it during rifle if I can only make 1 trip this year.

TheGDog

WKR
Well... in my instance... the Choke-cherries are beginning to bear fruit end of August thereabouts. And out here in CA... for Bear... that'd put you in the beginning of Archery season for a Bear tag. And the choke-cherries require a certain amount of water, so the locations of them are much more specific than, as an exmaple, areas that dump acorns.

And since we can't bait. Well... just seems like that'd be supremely helpful, having known food sources that they love to chow-down on, where they leave their calling card of massive dumps full of the choke-cherry pits, since they just woof 'em down whole. That only come around at a certain time range, and can only be found nearish to water-lines.

180ls1

WKR
Well... in my instance... the Choke-cherries are beginning to bear fruit end of August thereabouts. And out here in CA... for Bear... that'd put you in the beginning of Archery season for a Bear tag. And the choke-cherries require a certain amount of water, so the locations of them are much more specific than, as an exmaple, areas that dump acorns.

And since we can't bait. Well... just seems like that'd be supremely helpful, having known food sources that they love to chow-down on, where they leave their calling card of massive dumps full of the choke-cherry pits, since they just woof 'em down whole. That only come around at a certain time range, and can only be found nearish to water-lines.
That is very helpful. Thank you! I would assume those cherries are in pretty dark/deep canyons or hideaways where the bear does not really have to move around much to get their food/water/shelter?

TheGDog

WKR
Well... I just noted that I've always found those Choke-cherry trees in areas that follow a water line. Lotta times such a place will also have those new grass shoots they sometimes like to eat too.

A scat with the choke-cherries looks like this :

WP_20150725_006.jpg

A scat that looks more like it's grasses :
WP_20150725_001.jpg

Thanks for that. I live in San Diego so best I can tell I need to head north at least 5 hrs. With other, out of state hunts I cant run up there all the time so I am just trying to strategize. It's looking like I am probably best off hitting it during rifle if I can only make 1 trip this year.
The Los Angeles and San Bernadino mtns have plenty of bears, just ask the land owners.

180ls1

WKR
The Los Angeles and San Bernadino mtns have plenty of bears, just ask the land owners.
From what I've read. While there are bears there I am probably better off to keep heading north at least into the southern sierras to try and find a better population. Is that not true?

From what I've read. While there are bears there I am probably better off to keep heading north at least into the southern sierras to try and find a better population. Is that not true?
I’d suggest finding a spot you can consistently get to, it’s rare it only takes one trip. I’d pick a spot and learn it, get cameras out and figure out timing of food sources and travel corridors

180ls1

WKR
I’d suggest finding a spot you can consistently get to, it’s rare it only takes one trip. I’d pick a spot and learn it, get cameras out and figure out timing of food sources and travel corridors
It'll be a once-a-year type deal for me. From what I gather, that is less than ideal but that's just where I am at. Not sure if that changes anything...

OP
David Gough
It'll be a once-a-year type deal for me. From what I gather, that is less than ideal but that's just where I am at. Not sure if that changes anything...
If it's a once a year trip I would start learning an area with a higher concentration of bears.