New CO bear hunter seeking advice - Western slope

RCB

WKR
Will do my first bear hunt this September in Colorado. I'm looking for any and all advice. Of course happy to receive DMs with specific information. But more generic advice is also greatly appreciated. I feel like I know how to look at a map and get a decent idea of where to hunt for deer and elk, but with bear I'm pretty lost. For now my plan is...
(1) Mostly stay in the 6000-9000' elevation range.
(2) Look for steep canyons with a lot of oak brush with prominent points that I can glass from.
(3) Do some scouting over the next few weekends.
Not quite sure about south/north/west/east facing slopes, or if it matters. Covering ground vs. staying put. Whether it's worth it venture into higher country. Whether I should hunt BLM / near private land or roads at lower elevations, or further into public land. Should I be focusing on those deep nasty oak brush thickets? Water sources? I'm sure there's not a simple easy answer to all of these questions..
Have found some good threads already, but would appreciate any advice specific to this area, or fall CO bear hunting in general. Thanks.

Last edited:

TheGreek

Lil-Rokslider
Will do my first bear hunt this September in Colorado. Got the BE041O1R tag, which covers the units listed in the title. I'm looking for any and all advice. Of course happy to receive DMs with specific information. But more generic advice is also greatly appreciated. I feel like I know how to look at a map and get a decent idea of where to hunt for deer and elk, but with bear I'm pretty lost. For now my plan is...
(1) Mostly stay in the 6000-9000' elevation range.
(2) Look for steep canyons with a lot of oak brush with prominent points that I can glass from.
(3) Do some scouting over the next few weekends.
Not quite sure about south/north/west/east facing slopes, or if it matters. Covering ground vs. staying put. Whether it's worth it venture into higher country. Whether I should hunt BLM / near private land or roads at lower elevations, or further into public land. Should I be focusing on those deep nasty oak brush thickets? Water sources? I'm sure there's not a simple easy answer to all of these questions..
Have found some good threads already, but would appreciate any advice specific to this area, or fall CO bear hunting in general. Thanks.

Not sure if you’ve seen this, but these are great starting points for fall bear hunting information wise.

colby12

WKR
Most of those places won’t have a lot of areas where you can sit and glass(successfully with a good chance to kill) like spring bear in more open areas. Find a decent trail and walk until you find food and sign that they have been eating that food. Then find difficult to access water and hang out.

Reactions: RCB
Don't rule our chokecherries and serviceberries, especially if your area doesn't have reliable acorns. I've also found bears in old burns and clear cuts where blueberries and raspberries grow.

If you glass oak brush country, make sure to use a tripod. You're looking for trees moving while a bear is feeding in that thicker stuff.

I failed on numerous occasions to pick up a deer tag, so I bought a limited rifle bear tag (B-E-004-O1-R) and will be hunting the first week of Sept.

OP
R

RCB

WKR
Don't rule our chokecherries and serviceberries, especially if your area doesn't have reliable acorns. I've also found bears in old burns and clear cuts where blueberries and raspberries grow.

If you glass oak brush country, make sure to use a tripod. You're looking for trees moving while a bear is feeding in that thicker stuff.

I failed on numerous occasions to pick up a deer tag, so I bought a limited rifle bear tag (B-E-004-O1-R) and will be hunting the first week of Sept.
Same story for me - no deer tag, hence my first time bear hunting. Good luck to you.

Poser

WKR
Your primary plan is solid. In fact, I gave that exact advice on another thread.

Bears at this time of year are fairly indifferent to human pressure. Packing on calories is all that matters. I wouldn’t concern yourself so much with “going deep”, just focus on the oak brush that hasn’t been eaten yet. If there is enough of it in an area, a bear or bears will move through.

svivian

WKR
Find the trashiest camp on the mountain and wait till they leave. A bear is sure to come in looking for food.

you think im kidding im not..... Every year i hear about guys complaining a bear got into their camp while they were hunting, and i always know which camp it is before they tell me where.

Did you make it out to scout? I'm hunting the same tag and live near the unit. Acorns are going to be great but are still behind in a lot of areas. Berries seem to be abundant already. Sounds to me like you're on the right track.

UncleBone

WKR
I have an elk tag for the same units for muzzle loader. What dates are bear season? I could use a hand packing out if I get one down, and would be happy to let you know if I see any bears. I found some fresh scat the other day scouting for elk, and could maybe give you an idea of where, via dm.

Finding scat is easy. Finding bears is not easy.

Pick out some ridges that look like you will be able to glass from them. The prime feed elevations are going to be roughly 7500-8500 feet. Despite that last year I found tons of Bear scat above 9000.

I will gladly help anyone on here that gets an animal down if I could shoot a Bear! I will mostly be solo in 41/421.

OP
R

RCB

WKR
I have an elk tag for the same units for muzzle loader. What dates are bear season? I could use a hand packing out if I get one down, and would be happy to let you know if I see any bears. I found some fresh scat the other day scouting for elk, and could maybe give you an idea of where, via dm.
Bear season is pretty much the full month of September. Happy to help pack out for intel in return.

taskswap

WKR
So I have a fun bear-scat photo for you. Obviously it can be all shapes and sizes depending on the time of year and what they're feeding on. But did you know bears will not just eat the honey from a hive... they'll eat the BEES too?

Zoom in...

bear-scat-bees.jpg

Seriously, if you live in Colorado and need help on a unit, instate, sorry, brother 500’+ posts or no, it’s just plain laziness asking, and broadcasting a unit to the WWW.

Turn the key, and go get it!

Reactions: RCB

2mas

FNG
Off topic: Might be a good year to have rain gear locked down. At least it’s looking like it in northern Colorado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I noticed that forecast in my bear area. Gonna be a wet few days. May keep them moving better though. Like a lot of critters I have hunted, they seem to pop up quickly after a rain subsides. Good luck to the rest of the hordes heading out this weekend.

I’m not seeing nearly as much Bear scat on the Mesa this year compared to last.

Anyone else experiencing the same?