2021 SD Turkey Hunt

Dutchman

FNG
My brother, his youngest son and I are planning a turkey trip to South Dakota in 2021. We are planning on heading to the Black Hills National Forest. Of course, we are loaded with questions. This will be a DIY hunt and we will camp. Any tips or tricks that you may have to share would be appreciated.

jmez

WKR
Turkeys won't gobble as much on the ground as the Easterns do. They are pretty vocal on the tree and then don't say much once they come down. You can work them off the roost in the am. Later in the day they don't come to calls well. Best strategy after the early am is to just cover ground quietly and try to spot them. Once you spot them it isn't hard to get close enough to kill one with a shotgun. Get high in the evenings and try to roost them.

Weather will be your biggest hurdle. The later you come the less likely you will get snow. We get most of our snow from Feb through April. May is generally nice but snowstorms are still common. Sometimes a few inches and sometimes measured with a yardstick. Keep an eye on the weather. If they issue a winter storm warning you may want to plan on breaking camp and getting a room for a night or two. Bring clothes for 15 degrees and snowing to 80 and sunny.

A lot of turkeys in the Hills.

Zac

WKR
Hi I am also hunting SD in November. have never hunted Turkeys before. I am going on a buddy's ranch and plan to hunt out of a blind. Should I bring my bow or just try shotgun? Also I was going to pick up some Dave Smith decoys. Anyone know what kind of set up I should use? How many decoys etc?
Thanks

KurtR

WKR
if you are hunting in the fall i think its just spot and stalk or sit by the hay bales and blast them off there .

hobbes

WKR
I've had a different experience with Merriam's vs. Easterns. I believe they are more willing to come to a call at all hours of the day than an Eastern. I cover a lot of ground and call a lot to Merriam's. I've only been to the BHs once in 2020, so maybe they get more pressure than other Merriam's and respond different. The tom that I called in there acted no different than those in CO, NE, or MT from my one experience.

Actually, Merriam's are easier to get to gobble than an eastern. They are more willing to strike up all day long (most of the time). The trick is just finding them and getting close enough to do it. To find them, I cover as much ground as possible before daylight and after sunset trying to get them to shock gobble. Coyote howler works great for this.

Now they can be REALLY stubborn and cover way more ground than an eastern. Sometimes they will gobble at you but walk straight away. They know where they are going and its hard as heck to turn them! Once they start this, I just try to circle around and cut them off.

I've hunted the hills several times, including this past spring. You will love it!

Last edited:

3gsd

FNG
Hi I am also hunting SD in November. have never hunted Turkeys before. I am going on a buddy's ranch and plan to hunt out of a blind. Should I bring my bow or just try shotgun? Also I was going to pick up some Dave Smith decoys. Anyone know what kind of set up I should use? How many decoys etc?
Thanks
Bring a rifle just in case

Chett09

FNG
My brother, his youngest son and I are planning a turkey trip to South Dakota in 2021. We are planning on heading to the Black Hills National Forest. Of course, we are loaded with questions. This will be a DIY hunt and we will camp. Any tips or tricks that you may have to share would be appreciated.
Time of year will determine where you can hunt. Last year my brother and I gave it a shot. we went the middle of may and we where surprised that the north park was hard to navigate due to the amount of snow at the higher elevation. If you go early in the season snow may effect travel at higher elevations. needless to say hours of e scouting went out the window.

UA_Blake

FNG
I agree with the comment on weather. Be prepared for anything. Year before last we worked birds on the first day and had a blast. That night it snowed quite a bit and we didn’t hear a bird for 4 days. Another important piece of advice is not to underestimate the terrain. If you aren’t prepared physically you will have trouble after a couple of days. If you are having trouble finding birds hit the local “watering hole” and you will likely get some help. The people are very nice and generally think we are nuts for flying across the country to shoot a turkey 😂

Chett09

FNG
Is this an over the counter oppurtunity or do you have to apply? I've been thinkin of tryin it myself
We bought the tags online. yes basically over the counter. covid complicated things. you also need a vehicle pass for the off highway roads in the park

Ozstot

FNG
We bought the tags online. yes basically over the counter. covid complicated things. you also need a vehicle pass for the off highway roads in the park
10-4 thanks. I wasn't sure if there was an application deadline. I guess I have some homework to do. Goodluck huntin!

Chett09

FNG
10-4 thanks. I wasn't sure if there was an application deadline. I guess I have some homework to do. Goodluck huntin!
just so we are clear the black hills turkey license is over the counter. the prairie turkey license i believe you need to apply for.

jmez

WKR
Prairie licences are all draw for shotgun. Unlimited for archery.

Black Hills are not technically OTC unless you go to the headquarters in Pierre. You are guaranteed a tag but have to apply online or buy them in Pierre.

Just make sure you apply with plenty of time to get the tag in the mail.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Generally, Merriams birds follow the melting snowline. If you are walking around in three feet of snow there are most likely not turkeys there yet. I have killed birds during a heavy snow. It is fun

NYBowhntr

FNG
I to am looking at taking my Daughter to the black hills to chase merriams this spring. I appreciate all the info I have read so far. Not hijacking this thread but would like to chat a bit with those who are willing to give out some info. No I don't need to know locations. Thanks

Chett09

FNG
I to am looking at taking my Daughter to the black hills to chase merriams this spring. I appreciate all the info I have read so far. Not hijacking this thread but would like to chat a bit with those who are willing to give out some info. No I don't need to know locations. Thanks
i hunted the hills for turkeys last year. i do not have much experience on hunting turkeys in the park but i can try to answer any questions you may throw out.