2023 Blacktail Success Thread

My brother shot a 3pt today, and I passed a similar deer a couple miles away, my brother also saw a little forky

Still not much for bucks around does, but that’s to be expected. Saw some good sign this morning, but couldn’t turn anything up besides the one buck. Back to work for a few days, but the end of next week looks like a really good time to kill a nice deer

Attachments

• Resized_20231019_104353.jpeg
    Resized_20231019_104353.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 119
That'll work!

Hoping to hunt this weekend for the first time this season. Will be nice to be in the woods again. Have not really been out since last season.

That'll work!

Hoping to hunt this weekend for the first time this season. Will be nice to be in the woods again. Have not really been out since last season.
Well, it’s certainly a good time to start, haha

Hopefully this thread gets active here shortly with a bunch of pretty blacktail. It’s that time of year

I was pretty bummed out this morning when the whole canyon I planned to hunt was completely socked in with fog, but everything else felt bucky

I had to walk over 6 miles before I found some country I could start glassing and found a buck feeding pretty quick, ended up 7.3 miles from my pickup when my brother told me he shot one so I ended up crossing onto the road system he was on to pack his deer out for him😂 he is still a game cart guy, and I’m trying to talk some sense into him… but when I’m close, it’s even better for him… at least he had it mostly broken down by the time I got over to him

His boy was with him today too, so that was really cool, they haven’t been seeing much so I’m glad they got some action this morning.

Certainly getting to be more ground sign, and that alone keeps it interesting to me… they all mean something, and I love trying to find big sign, figure it out, then put eyes on that buck… favorite part of hunting them. Nothing cooler than panning across a zone you narrow down and catch that white face in the binos!

Well, it’s certainly a good time to start, haha

Hopefully this thread gets active here shortly with a bunch of pretty blacktail. It’s that time of year

I was pretty bummed out this morning when the whole canyon I planned to hunt was completely socked in with fog, but everything else felt bucky

I had to walk over 6 miles before I found some country I could start glassing and found a buck feeding pretty quick, ended up 7.3 miles from my pickup when my brother told me he shot one so I ended up crossing onto the road system he was on to pack his deer out for him😂 he is still a game cart guy, and I’m trying to talk some sense into him… but when I’m close, it’s even better for him… at least he had it mostly broken down by the time I got over to him

His boy was with him today too, so that was really cool, they haven’t been seeing much so I’m glad they got some action this morning.

Certainly getting to be more ground sign, and that alone keeps it interesting to me… they all mean something, and I love trying to find big sign, figure it out, then put eyes on that buck… favorite part of hunting them. Nothing cooler than panning across a zone you narrow down and catch that white face in the binos!

I have plenty of other things I need to be doing, and I have a hard time dedicating time to just go scout or hunt anymore.

I have a couple of those special spots, 15 mile drive and you are hunting, 10 min hike and you are in the good stuff. So will probly go park my ass on the rimrocks for the day an see what I can find. If not theres always another spot.

Still bummed about my backup plan canyon being a clear cut now. I never liked hunting it, but man were there alot of animals moving through that spot. Since they cut it, everybody drives all around it now. Oh well, thats how it goes

Thinkin the 'ol ruger hawkeye 223 is going to get to go this year

Last edited:

Tmarsh38

FNG
7e68dbf5b0c289673b8573099777d228.jpg

Came across this guy in an absolute hole

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Public land in A zone 2023. 670 yards. Tikka Rokslide special with SWFA 3-9 chambered in 7SAUM.

I’m positing pictures of the animal just before it dies this season if the animal gives me time. I think it can make for nicer photos than a limp animal on the ground, especially when I almost always hunt by myself and don’t have someone else to take a photo.

This legal buck came out with two spike bucks and another forked horn buck with him. He gave me a perfect broadside opportunity feeding down the slope about 5 minutes after taking this photo. He tumbled down the very steep slope about 100 yards and never got up.

Working on a black tail, mule deer, whitetail combo this year in 3 vastly different hunts. Step one is complete back in my old stomping grounds of Northern California! Always a fun and challenging hunt.

Resized_20231017_065910.jpeg

TripleJ

WKR
This young man went to school with my 2 older boys. He grew up without much of a father figure in his life, and never hunted until this year. This was our 2nd trip this season. Pretty slow day with the fog but I glassed up this guy feeding at 2pm. Got him set up and he made a great shot at 360 yds. I’m so happy for him, it was an awesome day.

IMG_3270.jpegIMG_3279.jpeg

Last edited:
This young man went to school with my 2 older boys. He grew up without much of a father figure in his life, and never hunted until this year. This was our 2nd trip this season. Pretty slow day with the fog but I glassed up this guy feeding at 2pm. Got him set up and he made a great shot at 360 yds. I’m so happy for him, it was an awesome day.

View attachment 616857View attachment 616858
That is awesome! Those scenarios are hard to beat and so helpful for a young man like that giving them a new interest that will last a lifetime!