2023 Crispi Briksdal MTN

You gonna try them out again? I wonder if this was a fluke or a real issue with bonding to the microfiber shell

Mine have also started to separate. I e-mailed Crispi over the weekend and got a warranty form to fill out today to send them back.

Edited to add: Send them back on my own dime with no estimate of when I might see them again.

gostovp

WKR
Mine have also started to separate. I e-mailed Crispi over the weekend and got a warranty form to fill out today to send them back.

Edited to add: Send them back on my own dime with no estimate of when I might see them again.
This is interesting…. I’m wondering if this is indeed an issue then… good to know

MT_Wyatt

WKR
You gonna try them out again? I wonder if this was a fluke or a real issue with bonding to the microfiber shell
Yes, I’ve been using the new ones. These separate like that and my perspective will be different for sure, entire rand cut loose on mine. Might be that nubuk finished synthetic they are using? It’s super soft.

They dry so much quicker than my beartooths, not even comparable. I love the fit and feel, durability is still a ??

As another data point, I’ve been through 3 pairs of Briksdals (normal and SF) in 3 years. I think there is enough evidence to suggest that the Briksdals have excellent fit and feel, but are not durable past one season of normal use in rock/scree. Only one of those pairs was accepted under warranty, but that experience may vary for other users.

Benetel

FNG
Yet another data point - my first season with the Briksdal Pro (200g insulation). Hunted a total of 12 days after breaking in, and the rand is starting to separate from the leather where the boot flexes. Likely going the warranty route with Crispi now that the season is over.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
As another data point, I’ve been through 3 pairs of Briksdals (normal and SF) in 3 years. I think there is enough evidence to suggest that the Briksdals have excellent fit and feel, but are not durable past one season of normal use in rock/scree. Only one of those pairs was accepted under warranty, but that experience may vary for other users.
This is 💯 % true and have had the same experience with the same number of Briksdal’s.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider
Just wrapping up the first season with my Briksdal MTN's and have 75 miles on them. I'm getting a little separation on one boot right in the toe flex zone, but otherwise they're OK. My Kenetrek's do the same, so I'm not too worried yet.

As an aside, these are the cheapest feeling pair of $500 boots I've ever worn... They feel more like a Salomon Quest type build then a premium boot. They're very comfortable though, I'll give them that.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Well…..warranty replacement pair < 20mi, just some training and (1) full day hunt. I just don’t understand what the deal is with their Rand application. Found it doing gear cleanup. The funny part is the social media push a couple weeks ago on how awesome/durable these boots are, meanwhile I can’t keep a pair together.

Meanwhile I’ve got a pair of Beartooths from 2018, still zero rand separation.

I’m asking Crispi for some repair glue. I’m not cutting them up in pure shale or anything crazy. I absolutely still love the fit/feel of these things over any boot I’ve ever owned. Hard not to be skeptical of their build quality.

IMG_2853.jpeg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My buddy got a pair after a very last minute notification he won a Dall sheep raffle (Yukon) this summer- he loves his. I'll have to ask him if he's any issues w/ the rand separating.

They make a black Shoe Goo if Crispi doesn't have an adhesive; works pretty good.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
My buddy got a pair after a very last minute notification he won a Dall sheep raffle (Yukon) this summer- he loves his. I'll have to ask him if he's any issues w/ the rand separating.

They make a black Shoe Goo if Crispi doesn't have an adhesive; works pretty good.
I’ve seen enough evidence that they can be durable that I don’t want to give up, I love the fit too much. But damn. I’ll try that glue if Crispi doesn’t have a specific suggestion.

I’m between taking the Briksdal MTN SF’s or normal Briksdals for a wet SEAK hunt in tagging along for next year….this really surprised me though.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Aquaseal SR is a great adhesive specifically intended for shoe repair and has worked well on my Lowa and Schnees boots for rand repairs. I find that it penetrates and adheres better than Shoe Goo. Probably because it has some wicked levels of volatile compounds in it.... definitely use in a well-ventilated area.

Crispi warranty said I should try Aquaseal on mine if I didn't want to wait three weeks and pay for shipping.

Currently breaking in a pair of Hanwags

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I talked to them yesterday and they said I can either swap them out or their cobbler uses "tuff toe" which is $34 on amazon, if I want to repair myself. Not sure what I want to mess with, both sides are actually separated. I think I'm just going to try and glue it, and if I can't get it to hold, then warranty them.

schmalzy

WKR
Just another data point; I’ve got a pair (non insulated briksdal) that have a backpack sheep hunt, a heavy hiking Aoudad hunt, and at least a hundred miles of training without any separation. Have been great boots for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got a pair after a warranty on some wyomings. Just starting to wear them but have some late desert hunts coming up, will keep an eye on them and update.

I received a pair of the new 2023 Crispi Briksdal MTN GTX's in yesterday. Initial impressions are quite good for the latest iteration of the Briksdal, a now classic mountain hunting boot. I wore out two pairs of Briksdal SF's before moving on to the Hanwag Friction 2 for my serious mountain boots. The Frictions are quite a lot stiffer than the SF's laterally and seem to have a better build quality. For steep terrain, they perform much better for me.

This year I will be covering lots of miles on a couple sheep hunts and wanted a boot that walked easily, yet still offered enough ankle support to pack out heavy loads in rough terrain. Also, a synthetic boot was a priority as well, which these are. The original Briksdal nubuck leather would completely saturate and become quite heavy & take days to dry out. The fit is similar to the original boots. I'm a true 8.5 and normally size up to a 9 in order to fit my aftermarket insole, liner socks and Darn Tough's. Size 9 (42) in these fit perfect.

I may try out the new SF's as well when they become available. I'll update this thread as I get more time in them.

View attachment 546103
I just got these about 4 days ago. Did an easy 3.5 miles first day with 30 pound pack and were fine. My first stiffer set of mountain boots so taking a a bit of getting used. Ran them today for about 7 miles, with some aftermarket insoles and I blistered on a small toe and heel. Removing those insoles and ordered pair of superfeet. I’m used to a lighter boot so I’m hoping to get used to them. However, they were not as amazing comfortable out of the box as many reviews I have read. Hoping they get better as they break in.

Are any of yall flat footed, and if so, how do these feel? I noticed @Burnt Reynolds comment about the instep. I’ve had my Kenetrek EverSteps since 2017 and had them resoled in 2022. When I first got them I threw out the high arched stock inserts and use a Lathrop and Sons foot bed, but since I’m flat footed there isn’t much to it. Thinking of trying these Crispi Briksdals out for a less bulky/more technical feel, but curious about the arch.