2023 MULE DEER OFFICIAL MEAT POLE THREAD

I wanted to learn some new area this year, and drew a tag in a unit I had never been to. Summer and fall got away from me and I never got a chance to put boots on the ground until the night before opening day. I saw a ton of deer, and my rough calculation was about a 1:8 buck to doe ratio. Sounds great, right?
I spotted one decent buck on the opposite side of some private property, and watched as he and his does started towards a road. I figured I'd watch them cross, then I would hike around the private to the public they were going onto and find him. The only truck I saw on the road that day appeared at that moment. The deer crossed the road, the truck stopped, the driver got out and off the road, and killed the buck. Crap.
I found a lot of little basket racked 2.5 year olds, and what seemed like a million forkies. I had very limited time to hunt, and was pretty sure it was going to be a 12" wide 3 point I kept seeing or tag soup. I decided to stick with it and let the little ones grow up.

Finally, I found a little pocket of deer, spike, does and fawns. I glassed them from about 1000 yards away for a while and caught a glimpse of a buck moving beds up on the hillside. There was a lot of open country and I spent quite a bit of time getting close to the pocket of cover he went into. I got closer and closer, and he finally stood up where I could see him at 18 yards. He stared at me for a few minutes then bounded away across the hill. He took his 3 other buck buddies (that I had no idea were in there) with him. The biggest was a 4x4 that was well inside his ears and only about as tall as his ears. Smallest 4x4 I have ever seen!

I went back 2 weeks later and kept seeing small bucks. I saw a branch of an antler above a rock way up a little draw, so I crept up the next ravine over and got to where I thought I would be about 80 yards from the rock. I saw 4 deer walking up the hill and got my glass on them. Nope, he wasn't in that group. Then I see another 4 deer. Just does. Then I spot some elk. Now I'm second guessing if I mistook an elk antler for a deer antler. I continued over the hill towards where what I thought was a buck should be. I'm 80 yards away and I see a deer butt! Yes! No. It was a doe and fawn. They have no idea I'm there so I sit down and watch them for about 30 minutes. I decide the buck either was never there, bailed before I crested the hill, or is still bedded somewhere I can't see. Curiosity is killing me, but the doe and fawn are between me and where he should be. Finally, I decide to softly bump the doe and fawn and see if they pick the buck up with them. I'll be damned if it didn't work! Buck stood up, looked around, walked a little bit, stopped and turned broadside.
26" outside spread with cool eyeguards.

Attachments

• IMG_7386[1].JPG
    IMG_7386[1].JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 140
Shot my first Muley Buck this past week on a DIY hunt I planned in MT what a rewarding experience.

Attachments

• received_922978116104014.jpeg
    received_922978116104014.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20231103_133420_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_133420_Gallery.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20231103_110822_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20231103_110822_Messenger.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 130

Rich M

WKR
First I'd like to say I suck at mule deer hunting, like really suck. I've even read Robby's books, and several other authors on mule deer hunting, and gawd do I suck. This is my son's 4th year hunting and he's yet to get a mule deer buck, no problem with buck antelope and elk, those seem to come easy. A lot has to do with him only have one day, or two half days, but I'm still not very good at mule deer hunting, so this year he only has one night and one morning, no pressure.
Boy it was different this year though. First night we had a buck out in front of us, just a little too far. Next morning I thought he was going to seal the deal on a pretty nice 3 or 4 year old, just couldn't get him comfortable, minutes later a descent 3 point comes up and out of the bottom, same thing close, safety off multiple times, he just didn't feel like it was a good shot. After seeing 4 bucks in a couple hours of hunting his season pretty much over and so close, but on the walk back to the truck God blessed us and put this 2 point right in front of us. A great offhand shot at 80 yards and the impossible, became possible. We boiled the head ourselves and every thing in his room had to get reorganize so that mule buck is right in the middle, he's very proud. Even though most wouldn't even look at this buck on many a hunts, it's a trophy to my son and me.View attachment 618864
Congratulations to you and your son. Nice symmetrical forkie never hurt anyone for a first buck. Great shot too!

grfox92

WKR
Wyoming General Deer.
a546df40ee623700e7d6e8d13db0d846.jpg
2dfcf91da5d42014313fbb642c63d98a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Bigfeet

Lil-Rokslider
Took 11 years to get the draw in the zone I chose in Alberta. A good friend drew the tag 6 years ago and took a great 190 class deer. I spent 15-25 days scouting and bowhunting the area this fall but never did turn up a really old buck. Lots of deer and certainly some nice bucks, but nothing in that upper age class. All the landowners I spoke to in the area mentioned how there used to be some truly big bucks, but not the last few years. Some thoughts on why included too many tags, dry summers, CWD, too many coyotes. Regardless, I couldn't lay my eyes on a really big deer.

Last week I went out, with a good buddy, the day after the rifle opener. Was really tempted in the morning by a really wide and tall buck, but he wasn't terribly heavy and had the look of a younger deer. But he was probably close to 28" wide, with an impressive frame. Saw some other really nice deer but passed on what we found.
Mid afternoon we went to an area that has an impressive number of deer. In looking over what we found I spotted 2 bucks I hadn't seen previously. One heavy big framed 4x4 and a wide framed 4x4 with an extra tine off his beam and brows - making him a 6x5. We studied him for quite a long time and, with long beams, a good frame, good width and an extra tine, I decided I like him. Maybe not the best scoring buck I had seen in the zone, but in the top tier regardless. A stalk through some coulees put me in range and one shot later I had my deer. Always hope for bigger, but he is a really beautiful buck that I'm very happy with. Near to 24" width and 25" beams.

Attachments

• -4461671692302250314.jpg
    -4461671692302250314.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 196
  • -7582326900565370506.jpg
    -7582326900565370506.jpg
    346.4 KB · Views: 167

hdc77

FNG
Classified Approved
Took 11 years to get the draw in the zone I chose in Alberta. A good friend drew the tag 6 years ago and took a great 190 class deer. I spent 15-25 days scouting and bowhunting the area this fall but never did turn up a really old buck. Lots of deer and certainly some nice bucks, but nothing in that upper age class. All the landowners I spoke to in the area mentioned how there used to be some truly big bucks, but not the last few years. Some thoughts on why included too many tags, dry summers, CWD, too many coyotes. Regardless, I couldn't lay my eyes on a really big deer.

Last week I went out, with a good buddy, the day after the rifle opener. Was really tempted in the morning by a really wide and tall buck, but he wasn't terribly heavy and had the look of a younger deer. But he was probably close to 28" wide, with an impressive frame. Saw some other really nice deer but passed on what we found.
Mid afternoon we went to an area that has an impressive number of deer. In looking over what we found I spotted 2 bucks I hadn't seen previously. One heavy big framed 4x4 and a wide framed 4x4 with an extra tine off his beam and brows - making him a 6x5. We studied him for quite a long time and, with long beams, a good frame, good width and an extra tine, I decided I like him. Maybe not the best scoring buck I had seen in the zone, but in the top tier regardless. A stalk through some coulees put me in range and one shot later I had my deer. Always hope for bigger, but he is a really beautiful buck that I'm very happy with. Near to 24" width and 25" beams.
What a hunt!! Beautiful buck!

twsnow18

FNG
View attachment 597408View attachment 597409View attachment 597410

Got my first archery buck! 🤣
General Idaho deer that I wouldn't have killed if @robby denning hadn't all but called me names for wanting to wait till rifle season. He went 216.5 with the fuzzy stuff and 214 1/8 stripped. I gave him 3 inches for a tine he broke falling off a cliff. I have hours of video or him and I'm confident it was at least that long.

This is when I first found him at the end of July. He grew a bit more after this.
View attachment 597411

Unreal buck! Great job.

@Dioni A Did you watch someone hit the buck the evening before?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Unreal buck! Great job.

@Dioni A Did you watch someone hit the buck the evening before?
They missed twice and I got it on film. I actually knew who he was. He's a super good dude. I've heard a bunch of stories after the fact about how a lot of drama happened. He and I ended up becoming pretty good friends afterwards. Lol

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
2023 Wyoming limited entry hunt. Went with At Ease Hunting guide Pat Ginder out of Casper, WY. Amazing time. Saw tons of deer and his guides were all amazing. 220 yards.

Attachments

• Buck_1.jpg
    Buck_1.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 148
  • Buck_2.jpg
    Buck_2.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 147