2023 OFFICIAL ELK MEAT POLE THREAD

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Solo Public DYI CO. Sept 15th Crossed a river, made a steep hike into a small park meadow. Got one fired up above it. Wind was switching as it got closer to dark, got right with the thermals and moved in on him. Gave him a challenge and he was in my lap. 10yds shot Kudu point put him down @ 60yds.

Attachments

• elk23.jpg
    elk23.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 207
  • elkmeat23.jpg
    elkmeat23.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 205

suda0402

FNG
First archery bull
d56841aee8039564bfdf94cb2e14dabb.jpg

6d460ec287bbbc5ec37d2b54d172ffab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duh

WKR
Got on the board with my dad last week. I’m pretty sure this is his last time coming elk hunting with me due to his health so it was pretty special.

Found this bull the night before and he was intact. He must have got busted up on his back left side that night.

Snuck into his bedding area and called him out. Easy shot and a short track job.

Kids loved it too.

Attachments

• IMG_6267.jpeg
    IMG_6267.jpeg
    556.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_6200.jpeg
    IMG_6200.jpeg
    490.5 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1198.jpeg
    IMG_1198.jpeg
    730.1 KB · Views: 210

jslove

FNG
My dad and I have been archery hunting elk together every year for the last ten years. It has always been my favorite trip of the year. He drives from Iowa to my place in CO and stays with us for a week or two depending on whatever else we have going on in our lives. He has had a hand full of opportunities, but the stars never aligned to close the deal. Over the last few years, I have tried to convince him to switch to using a rifle or muzzleloader, but he flat out refuses to put down his bow.

Last night we charged into the woods as we normally do. This time it was a little different though. For the first time ever, my five year old son got to join. He had been begging to go every day of the season. Before we left last night my son took it upon himself to go upstairs to his room, put on his camoflauge, strap on his shoes, and fill up a water bottle. He took the initiative to do it. I was busy getting my own gear ready and loaded up. When I walked in the house to grab one last thing, he was standing in the living room and said "Dad, I am ready. Can I please come? I want to go real life elk hunting." He made it impossible to say no.

As we walked up the trail to our spots, my dad took off ahead for a tree stand while my son and I walked at a slower pace. Before my son and I got to our spot about 1.3 miles in, I could hear my dad yelling for me from about 600 yards away. He had already climbed the stand, shot, and recovered his first elk. The bull was at 15 yards within minutes of being in the stand.

My son and I walked directly for him. When we saw my dad, my son took off on a sprint to give him a hug. After some hooting and hollering, we let my son follow the blood trail and find the bull (it was only about 30 yards from the stand). The excitement was overwhelming. It still is. So many miles, trips, spots, and years finally paid off for my dad and my five year old got to be a part of the whole thing. After about 1,000 pictures and high fives, my dad and I got to work while my son held his little flashlight that we grabbed out of the junk drawer before we hopped in the truck.

When we got down to the truck well after bed time, my son's final words before he fell asleep were "This is the best day ever."

Its not huge, but it means everything.
Seriously this is the best elk story I’ve heard this year. I had a solo elk hunt this year proved to be a once in a lifetime hunt, but nothing can beat sharing such an experience with the people who mean the most. My sons are starting to hunt. My dad never did. I hope to be making these stories with my boys soon. Cheers.

Joel

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from NM and had a great public land hunt. Bulls were screaming all week. Missed a 320 class bull tuesday on a deflected shot but got another opportunity yesterday on a decent 6x5.

Attachments

• IMG_2395.jpeg
    IMG_2395.jpeg
    732.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_2425.jpeg
    IMG_2425.jpeg
    330.8 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_2404.jpeg
    IMG_2404.jpeg
    705.6 KB · Views: 233

duckhuntr

FNG
First elk season for me, and solo with a bow in WA public OTC. I'm more than pumped. I killed this bull at 5:30pm on the last day of season. The last two days of the season I was on this satellite ((pictured below) and the herd bull. The last day I had the herd bull at 50-60 yards through a wall of brush but he just wouldn't break. He was running back and forth screaming at me and the satellite up on the ridge. Even had I not killed this one, that in itself was an unreal experience. The wind was in my favor the whole time, not sure what happened or if he got sick of us harassing him. But all the sudden I heard a lot of cows and calves calling and heading out. He screamed in my face one more time then followed. This satellite followed them and I was able to catch up with him. This satellite never wanted to come in to fight though/or to aggressive bugling. Only when I started mixing in cow calls did he finally break and come in to me. Couldn't have asked for a better scenario 18 yards broadside. I'm still an idiot and almost blew it. I cow called to stop him and stopped him one step too early behind a massive tree. I thought I was busted for sure. luckily he took 2 more steps and stopped for me again. My legs were shaking so bad I thought I was going to fall over. I Doubled lunged him though and he went 30 yards tops and fell over . . What an absolute rush. highlight of my hunting career no doubt.

Attachments

• IMG_8718.jpeg
    IMG_8718.jpeg
    609.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_8739.jpg
    IMG_8739.jpg
    689 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

280Ackley

WKR
Got out for a day hunt with my oldest son yesterday. Was hoping just to find a bull to bugle so he could experience a fired up bull. Well we found two that were willing to play. Called the 1st into 50 yards for him but no clear shot opportunity. After going back and forth with the 2nd bull I was able to close the distance and get a shot off at 56 yards!! He only went about 100 yards.IMG_5317.jpegIMG_5314.jpeg

JK_CO

FNG
Got out for a day hunt with my oldest son yesterday. Was hoping just to find a bull to bugle so he could experience a fired up bull. Well we found two that were willing to play. Called the 1st into 50 yards for him but no clear shot opportunity. After going back and forth with the 2nd bull I was able to close the distance and get a shot off at 56 yards!! He only went about 100 yards.View attachment 605296View attachment 605297
6 days left in the season for archery and here you are making me think maybe I could squeeze in one more piece of a day somehow….awesome bull and inspiration!