2024 AK Moose Prep

Only issue youll run into is if its warm and you kill bull early. I set up aircargo account before i went. When bull was flown out place we were staying in illiamna had no cooler to hang that long so they want it donated or gone so then it goes to anchorage and you have to do something with it so i just had it picked up by nick and took it too butcher. I process my own meat but i was extremely happy i had them do it. Best advice line everything out for easy trip. Its nice to save money but sometimes ease of mind is worth it. I think i was 5k roughly after all butchering and paying nick to pick up box ship. Does great job packing. Cape was vaccum sealed then in fish box frozen thats a long bed pick up. Lots of meat
You were 5k as in 5,000 for butchering, packaging, and shipping?!!! Or 5k for your whole trip? lol

barehandlineman

FNG
Classified Approved
Picking me up at anchorage taking me too airport and back. Picking my moose up in illiamna flying it to anchorage picking it up there taking it too the butcher. Butcher did his work which i did a lot of exspensive jerky sausage bergers be alone was 2800$. Then antlers cape wrapped and meat boxed and shipped to me all in there 5k. Bush flights and airline flights another story lol id say all in 15k diy hunt

Picking me up at anchorage taking me too airport and back. Picking my moose up in illiamna flying it to anchorage picking it up there taking it too the butcher. Butcher did his work which i did a lot of exspensive jerky sausage bergers be alone was 2800$. Then antlers cape wrapped and meat boxed and shipped to me all in there 5k. Bush flights and airline flights another story lol id say all in 15k diy hunt
Ah right on ya that sounds about right then!

AKDoc

WKR
Similar to probably everyone here...careful and responsible meat care is my top priority from the moment I get dropped at my remote location until it's in my freezers. Even as a resident, that also costs me considerable extra money on remote fly-in hunts. Very happy to spend it though because moose meat is the very best in my family.

You gotta have a plan in advance that works.

Similar to probably everyone here...careful and responsible meat care is my top priority from the moment I get dropped at my remote location until it's in my freezers. Even as a resident, that also costs me considerable extra money on remote fly-in hunts. Very happy to spend it though because moose meat is the very best in my family.

You gotta have a plan in advance that works.
Absolutely that’s what I love about this forum, everyone on here is helping eachother out with tips and tricks and getting prepared well in advance! Good group of people in here!

Cyril

FNG
I brought home half of my moose, 287 lbs boned out weight plus split skull cap and shoulder mount cape. It cost me about $2,650 from remote village to freezer. That included $1/lb to debone in village plus $2/lb to cut and wrap steaks, freight rate out of village to anchorage, Nick's fees and freight as expeditor and local butcher to cut/wrap/grind the rest. Looking at meat costs only I was around $6.5/lb and honestly it could be much more expensive.

Getting the meat out of the village to Anchorage or fairbanks is the biggest hurdle. You either have to charter the plane which is expensive or have a trustworthy contact in the village with a cooler or freezer who will take the time to get it on a local flight via freight pricing.

It all depends on where you are hunting out of. I know this much, I love having the moose meat, it is worth the time, stress and money to get it home.

Cwagsta

FNG
I can’t remember the actual amounts of money, but my dad got his company set up as a “known shipper” with Alaska air cargo. This allowed the meat to be shipped LTL to a dock which saved some coin! So if anyone has a connection in their home town with a business that has a dock you may look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t remember the actual amounts of money, but my dad got his company set up as a “known shipper” with Alaska air cargo. This allowed the meat to be shipped LTL to a dock which saved some coin! So if anyone has a connection in their home town with a business that has a dock you may look into it.

What do you mean LTL? And what do u mean by a dock? Sorry for my ignorance lol

Cwagsta

FNG
Sorry I work in a warehouse I forget it’s not common knowledge. the vernacular is as follows
LTL is an acronym it stands for Less than load. This means a shipment less than a full 53’ trailer full.
A dock is a door built on the side of a building specialized for loading and unloading trucks.
Now that I think of it I believe you may still be able to get LTL shipments without a dock if you specify a delivery truck with a lift gate. A lift gate is basically an elevator on the back of a truck that lowers pallets to the ground from the back of a truck

AKDoc

WKR
A few thoughts to share regarding prep. My apologies in advance if they have already been emphasized...
  1. Bring an extra water filter or two. Some areas of the state, no problem...one filter will last you. Other areas of the state, you can blow through filters rather quickly. Ask your transporter in advance about the area where you're going to be dropped. I've contracted Giardia once...and never want that again!
  2. Bring several tarps.
    • For my location, I always bring five (8x10's and/or 10/12's work best for me). Usually two or three for meat management and transport...laying bagged meat on the ground at the kill-site and at the meat pole that we built (both covered if it's raining)...I then use those tarps for tenting the meat pole when all meat is hanging (bloody side up to rinse off in the rain, which is always in the forecast in the area where I go).
    • 2 of the tarps are always new ones that I stake-out to catch rain water to be filtered.
  3. Bring two sets of gloves per bull. One set for wearing when handling the hide and one pair for cutting and handling meat...never mix the two. I wear a fillet glove when cutting meat, and it has saved me from countless cuts and steri-strip jobs...doing a moose is fatiguing and accidents happen.
  4. Other than my tent and sleeping bag, there are always two MVP's on the gear list of my trips...a piss bottle to use in the tent, and a folding toilet seat!! :unsure:

barehandlineman

FNG
Classified Approved
I used stone glacier tarp, laid meat on it first then built lean pole and put tarp over it. Ran out of room used antlers for ham and a shoulder. Meat pole pic is the second meat pole after getting the moose out too lake for pick up. First one didnt have enough room.

Id invest into some alpaca rafts. We got my bull out 2 trips with 2 guys. 2.5 mile pack one way.

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    406 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3634.jpeg
    IMG_3634.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3632.jpeg
    IMG_3632.jpeg
    528.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3639.jpeg
    IMG_3639.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 25

WMR

FNG
Pee bottle? Oh yea. Seems like it’s always raining when I gotta go. Or it sounds like bears outside.

We camp a lot. “I wish I hadn’t brought that extra tarp,” said NO CAMPER EVER! 😳 Same applies to extra rope. A cut resistant glove is a must for me too.

OP
Robinhood21
  1. Bring two sets of gloves per bull. One set for wearing when handling the hide and one pair for cutting and handling meat...never mix the two. I wear a fillet glove when cutting meat, and it has saved me from countless cuts and steri-strip jobs...doing a moose is fatiguing and accidents happen.
  2. Other than my tent and sleeping bag, there are always two MVP's on the gear list of my trips...a piss bottle to use in the tent, and a folding toilet seat!! :unsure:

I will for sure be bringing a cut proof glove with me this trip. The last 2 I didn't, and I cut myself both times. Not real bad but enough to make me think how important one is. I'd hate for a hunt to be cut short because of a bad cut.

Piss bottle is a must! I never really thought of one before but @mcseal2 had one on his gear list that he sent to me and I realized how genius it was. I try not to "wake up" too much when I have to "go" in the middle of the night so to even think about going out in the rain in the dark then try to go back to sleep doesn't sound fun.

I can't believe more people don't try and setup an Air Cargo account before they head up. Once you get back to ANC or FAI, pad and wrap your antlers up, buy some coolers and fill them with meat. Take them to Air Cargo the day you fly home, pick them up shortly after you get home. I'd check the meat coolers as luggage if you have bags to spare, rest on Air Cargo.

Last time I applied for a known shipper number with AK Airlines was 2019 and I was quoted $275 for the verification. Probably well over $400 now. It was cheaper to ship three coolers next day UPS than to just get verified. Curious has anyone done the verification lately?

Almost every outfitter has a known shipper account and most are happy to share with their clients. Worth checking with your outfitter or pilot, if applicable.

dan33

FNG
I’ve gotta buy new waders this year. Older Cabelas pair got me wet last fall. My wading boots will probably last forever. I’m looking at a pack raft, which could come in very handy. Also was intrigued by the new floorless hot tent from the Arctic Oven folks, but decided to stick with the tipi that’s worked before.

I sold all my bigger rifles, thinking a 30-06 would always be fine. It might be, but it didn’t feel that way last time. Bears love me much more than I love them. I’m probably going a bit bigger this time.

As far as food, I’m starting to stock up but most will be bought closer to the fall. Gotta watch expiration dates on much of it. Mountain House meals last about forever, but we mostly eat other stuff. I guess I could buy the Spam singles now. They also last near forever. I’m not sure they’re even biodegradable. 😳

One other tip for those who take hot tents. If you’ve got extra plane capacity, consider a few of the commercial pressed wood firewood bricks or logs. They’ll burn much longer than the dry willow you’ll find there. Experiment with different sizes in your stove before you go. And avoid the chemical fire logs like the plague. Trust me on that one.
Not sure if you found waders but I used compass 360 waders for 3 years of trout fishing. They held up really well despite being abused and ran through briars and sticks all spring and summer

roymunson

WKR
I miss moose camp. I'd love to go back this year. How many hunts of a lifetime is someone legally allowed to have?