2024 Blister Care

What is the state of the art here.

i did a 25-mile Charity hike his weekend and ended up with some nasty blisters. I pretaped my typical hotspots with some moleskin and lukotape and they were fine. The blisters I got were in other places. I could have stopped and padded those but I was feeling like shit toward the end and just pushed through.

there are some old threads and some info here and there, but I am curious what people are doing for both prevention and care these days.

I decided to pop mine (cut a slit with sterilized scissors) to drain them and have them bandaged. When they dry out a bit I will apply some new skin or liquid bandage. I will keep them clean and dry for a while and expect they will be fully walkable in a day and resolve fully in 7-10 days.

what say ye, roksliders?

Wapiti151

WKR
I am strictly a Leukotape guy, put that stuff on any traditional hot spot areas and then if a feel a new one coming on, make sure to stop and take care of it as fast as I can.

If I do get them, I try not to pop them if I can unless they pop by themselves. That fluid in there has a purpose, it is 100% sterile and will help with healing in a big way...similar to a scab on a cut. If they do pop, I just try to keep them as clean as possible and let them air dry at night. Problem after you pop them, if you do have to put socks/shoes on, it's nearly impossible to keep that area clean with bacteria growth, existing bacteria in shoes, etc.

TX_Diver

WKR
I tried some sleeves at the recommendation of the L&S guys and liked them for toes whenever something would pop up.

I also cut one flat and leukotaped it over a spot on the bottom of my foot for a few days and that was a huge help.

Ultimately I switched back to the L&S insoles and didn't need anything besides the precautionary leukotape on the back of my heel though. I still keep 2 of these in my first aid kit though.

dtrkyman

WKR
New boots.

I have put duct tape over blisters in the past, just remember to put some type of ointment over the actual blister spot so the tape doesn't stick to it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Tincture of Benzoin.......awesome stuff. When I was playing basketball six days a week years ago, blisters were a way of life. I'd cut them open, pour the tincture of benzoin in and in a day they'd be good to go for playing again. It might sting.......just a bit......LOL.

My daughter was just complaining about a blister yesterday, and I said "tincture of benzoin". And she said "No way, I still remember Michaela crying when you did that to her years ago". But she was good to go the next day.

For prevention........always leukotape on the hot spots.