2024 Elk Hunt Gear

Tjman

FNG
Going on my first archery elk hunt this year...planning on a 4-5 day hunt in the backcountry. I have a gear list put together but wanting to get people's input to see if there is anything I've missed.

What's a piece of gear that you won't go into the mountains without?

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Nicotine. lol. But really - be prepared. Have a decent first aid kit. And I am not talking like a walmart first aid kit with 16 band aids and a packet of ointment. A lot can happen out there.

I am small and get cold easily, so for me a good sleep system and plenty of good layers is a must.

I would go into the backcountry on my first elk hunt with more than 4-5 days off work lol

If you mean 4-5 days at spike camp, then back to the truck/base camp to recharge, no issue.

If it’s your first hunt, it’ll take 3-4 days to figure out what’s going on and then maybe you’ll have one or two chances at a shot opportunity the remaining 10 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke10

FNG
Water purification system and fire starter. Then good boots and a comfortable pack

Spare release, ability to start a fire if needed (and knowledge of current fire restrictions when you go), water filter and backup treatment tabs, toilet paper, spare zipper bag for trash

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, but the most important thing is to get out a couple of times to test your kit. Even if it's not in the exact same conditions/terrain, it'll give you a good idea of what's missing & what can go.

Smoke10

FNG
Spare release, ability to start a fire if needed (and knowledge of current fire restrictions when you go), water filter and backup treatment tabs, toilet paper, spare zipper bag for trash

That's what I can think of off the top of my head, but the most important thing is to get out a couple of times to test your kit. Even if it's not in the exact same conditions/terrain, it'll give you a good idea of what's missing & what can go.
The extra release is a great idea. I also have an extra release in my pack

Usi05

WKR
chapstick
also drinking plain water gets old, I like to add an electrolyte powder mix to my water - obviously good for hydration, but helps if you get some not so great tasting water. or you could use some Mio, or similar.

Two things I absolutely love and agree with. You dry out so fast out west. I like caffeinated water packets too for extra boost

Also like to mix in some ramen type stuff to break up freeze dried meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KsRancher

WKR
As mentioned above. Whatever type of lip moisturizer you use. I can't use chapstick. I carry a tube of carmex with me 365 days a year. My very first elk hunt in the mountains as I parked at the trailhead getting ready to head in a guy is coming out. We stood at the vehicles and talked a minute. It made me want to cry looking at his lips. They were like you see in the movies of someone that is walking across the desert without water for 3 days.

DeePow

FNG
What you need is a list of crap that beginners carry and experienced guys have never needed.

To mirror this guy, I’d create a Google Doc, here is Exo’s spreadsheet, and share what you’re thinking to receive feedback. Getting advice from people about items they bring, but never need will be integral to you leaving behind items. You can also pick and choose which feedback you want to accept.

KsRancher

WKR
To mirror this guy, I’d create a Google Doc, here is Exo’s spreadsheet, and share what you’re thinking to receive feedback. Getting advice from people about items they bring, but never need will be integral to you leaving behind items. You can also pick and choose which feedback you want to accept.
I find myself taking less and less every year. Except food and water. Now that I have started taking my boys. It's unreal how much water and food those boys can consume. A gallon of water each gets them to just after noon. And they eat every few hours. But when it comes to packing meat out. Those boys can flat get it done.

Some already said it but a good hunting partner is priceless.

As for gear - you will narrow it down after your first week in the mountains. First time I went I packed way too much. I will say - take care of your feet and find a pack that fits your frame.