2024 Elk Meat Transport Strategy

Lots of threads about this over the years, but they seem dated OR focus on something trivial like 50 lbs of meat.

I'm looking for the best way to get ~200lbs of bull elk + ~100 lbs of deer meat (1 buck & 1 doe) from MT to AZ . ~14 day long adventure (doorstep to doorstep). Good problem to have....but it is a problem that (hopefully) needs to be solved!

Am I missing any better options? (I'll worry about the antlers later...I have friends who can hold them for me).

1) Drive
I was originally planning on driving. Would love to have my (very off-road capable) jeep truck up there for hunting and meat hauling, but also would prefer to spend more time in the mountains chasing deer & elk than on the freeway. Its a minimum of 20 hours of drive...each way...so probably 3-4 of my 14 days not spent in the woods.

Transport Cost: 2800 miles / ( 16 MPG ) * $4.5 /gallon + $400 for hotel and meals = $1188
Travel Opportunity Cost Factor : (4 Travel Days / 14 Total Days + 1) = 1.28
Factored Transport Cost: $1520

2) Fly & Ship Meat

Fly there, ship back via fedex 2-day air. Both of the two travel days are considered lost days. Using the fedex.com shipping calculator for 6 -50 lb, 15x15x15 boxes of frozen solid meat.... is $2,370.42...ouch.
Transport Cost: $728 airfare + $2,370.42 shipping.
Travel Opportunity Cost Factor : 2/14 + 1.0 = 1.14
Factored Transport Cost: $3541

3) Fly & Check Meat, & Mail Luggage

Fly. Check 4-50 lb meat bags, carry another 50lbs on my back. Delta has a limit of 4 checked bags per passenger on "Delta Connection" flights, so I'll have to come up with a plan for the remaining 50lbs of meat (give it away, beg to check another bag...have it turned into jerky and shipped, etc). My $728 airfare includes 1 checked bag already. The second one will cost me $45. Third...$150, and fourth...$200. Shipping 50 lbs of gear/luggage back via ups ground is ~$150, per their calculator.

Transport Cost: $728 airfare + ($0 + $45 + $150 + $200) baggage + $150 shipping = $1,123
Travel Opportunity Cost Factor : 2/14 + 1.0 = 1.14
Factored Transport Cost: $1451

Per this calculus (algebra technically) & opportunity cost model....Option 3 appears to be the right option. With the flying option, I'm clearly neglecting the need to rent a truck, that would increase the costs and tip the scales (with this model) towards driving. I'm neglecting that because there is a good chance I wont need to rent a truck ( i have friends & family).

What are y'alls thoughts? Am I missing better options or mis-evaluating my known options?

Marble

WKR
Maybe im missing something. Can't you just put it in ice chests and drive it back when you go back?
If you are near a town, usually you can find a place to store meat if it's too warm outside.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Maybe im missing something. Can't you just put it in ice chests and drive it back when you go back?
If you are near a town, usually you can find a place to store meat if it's too warm outside.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

IF I drive, I could absolutely do that. But, I'm a 20 hour drive away from my hunt area if I drove straight there, so I'm considering flying to maximize hunt time. Sorry if I wasn't clear...but I'm debating flying vs driving, and if I fly, how to get meat home.

Are you driving up by your self? A buddy turns that into a straight through trip not stopping then your only loosing the same amount of hunting days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
Are you driving up by your self? A buddy turns that into a straight through trip not stopping then your only loosing the same amount of hunting days

On the way up I would, but I'm also thinking about fatigue from sitting in a car for 20+ hours. Way back I would be solo (he's flying back regardless, he doesn't have a tag...so just helping me out the first week).

LostArra

WKR
Option 1 (drive): you are in control of the meat.
Option 3: (fly): the airline is in control. I just returned from a three day fishing trip with my daughter and son in-law. My rods never made it to the destination and I am now home and the rods are nowhere to be found. I would not trust meat to an airline (although I've trusted frozen salmon and halibut from Alaska to an airline and it went fine)

Last edited:

phil1841

FNG
Drive - you will probably be amped for the hunt to start and I doubt too fatigued from the drive north. This gives you 100% control of your meat and gear - to me pretty important. On the two fly options you didn't mention elk and/or deer antlers. Not bringing them back?

I agree this is a "good" problem to work thru - and good luck with your hunt.

I agree with everyone else the first day might not be as good if you flew you’ll be pretty jacked up ready to hunt but having your own truck and able to get meat home is a huge bonus. Last year we went from 800’ here in Michigan to about 9000’ in Wyoming drove straight through parked the truck where camp would end up and and hunted all day chasing elk never thought about the 20 hour truck ride

OP
M
Drive - you will probably be amped for the hunt to start and I doubt too fatigued from the drive north. This gives you 100% control of your meat and gear - to me pretty important. On the two fly options you didn't mention elk and/or deer antlers. Not bringing them back?

I agree this is a "good" problem to work thru - and good luck with your hunt.

RE antlers. I still have family there, so plan on leaving the antlers with them in the near term (if I fly), and shipping/retrieving at a later date

TaperPin

WKR
Young relatives enjoy driving, eating out on someone else’s dime and work for cheap - I’d fly and at the end of the trip have the truck meet you there, then you fly back.

Having said that, if you were packed and ready to go after work on Friday, you’d be there by Saturday afternoon by driving straight through. If messing with airports takes up most of Saturday you haven’t gained much. 20 hours is a long haul, but hunting isn’t about it being an easy vacation.

Two days of driving each way isn't bad. On the way back, make sure it's frozen and put dry ice on it. I drove from WY to FL a few years ago with about the same amount of meat over a longer time period with no issues. I just had to keep throwing dry ice on every couple days. Hunters from the East do what you are curious about every hunting season.

Legend

WKR
If you do anything other than drive you might think about taking a picture of the doe. And buy some ribeye.

Last edited:
OP
M
If you do anything other than drive you might think about taking a picture of the doe. And by some ribeye.
Lol, excellent point. I don't even know if I can OTC a whitetail b tag anymore anyway (got to check the regs again). I havent hunted Montana since I moved away, almost 20 yrs ago.

I always drive because it is most often the most cost effective, gives me flexibility and allows me to take all the gear I need to be adaptable to the hunt. Seems simple for me based on my personal experience with trips west over the last 30 years from as far east as PA. I always drive, sleep in the truck when I get tired, hunt and drive home when done. I did a quick search and from Kalispell to Phoenix is under 19 hours. For me that’s a day trip. No need for hotel/motel and I surely don’t like to leave my rig at any hotel between home and my hunting destination. Last year I did a trip from my home in Missouri to Hunt sheep in NV then elk in Az, then home to Missouri for 10 days. Then back to Western Nevada to continue my sheep hunt, then home again. Sure it was almost 10k miles but I had everything I needed for a successful hunt. Never slept in a hotel.
For meat, I recommend you buy a $200 freezer and run a generator a few hours a day to keep any meat or meals you have frozen. If successful I process my meat and vac seal in camp while sipping bourbon and celebrating success. The year before last I traveled to Wyoming to hunt elk, killed a bull then went to MT to also hunt elk. Meat in the freezer stayed frozen with a 4-6 hour generator run every day for the 7 days I hunted in MT. I save money by eating home made meals vac sealed and frozen, sleeping in the truck while traveling and processing my own meat. If you took those savings it will equal the cost of an elk tag for the next year. Plus I have flexibility to leave when I want. What do you do if you have a return flight scheduled 10 days out and kill a bull on day one or you have to leave early for a family emergency?
Just how I think I guess.

Duh

WKR
I’m with @Marine4life on driving. I’ve got a 16hour drive to and from my hunting spot every year. Make the trip in 1 Day and get right to hunting.

I take a cheaper deep freezer and plug it in at my families house. Cut everything up and freeze it. Sometimes just for a night and pack it with ice. The deep freezer works just as well as most coolers. I’ve always worried about the freezer not working but it hasn’t failed yet.
Last year I did coolers because I drove a little jeep out and it worked just as well. Flexibility it key and then you don’t have to rely on other people to not screw up and ruin your meat.