2024 fly-in Caribou

Raberd14

FNG
Looking at a 2024 mid-sept, alaska caribou hunt with a couple buddies. Probably fly-in, self guided. I know the caribou situation is a bit iffy at the moment, but was hoping someone could give me some good direction. Air taxis, hunt areas etc. Appreciate any insight.

VernAK

WKR
This site is your best source of information. Stick with us for a while and you'll get some good advice.....some of which, you may not like. Search!

The demand for remote fly-in hunts far exceeds the supply and much of 2024 is probably being booked already.
Prices are climbing rapidly and many herds are suffering.

After contacting a lot of the different outfitters last year, I ended up booking (about a year ago) for a 2025 Drop Camp hunt. If a place still has openings for 2024, I'd really be questioning why they still have the openings. More than likely, it's probably not a business that people want to give their money to.

OP
Raberd14

Raberd14

FNG
I've talked with Ram, they've been very responsive and informative. But 5,900 for a 5 day hunt seems steep. Anybody have any experience with arrowhead?

I've talked with Ram, they've been very responsive and informative. But 5,900 for a 5 day hunt seems steep. Anybody have any experience with arrowhead?
You get what you pay for. Alaska isn't the place to cheap out on a hunt.

Plenty of info on arrowhead on Rokslide, just look around.

No Promises

FNG
Classified Approved
I was at Dallas Safari Club this past Jan specifically looking for a Caribou hunt. Weren’t many available & all hunts were over 20k!!! I should have gone years ago when they were half that for multiple ‘bous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Caribou has always been just a tad more than i wanted to pay, for the last 30 or so years. I knew a bunch of folks who did the Quebec herd hunts at about $4K/person. Was kinda high for me at the time, now if I want to go, it will be about $20K - I'm deaf, no DIY tundra trips for me.

If you want to go, you gotta just go and know the price is only gonna keep going up - if they continue to allow caribou hunting in the future.

I did a hunt last year with Ram and it was absolutely amazing! I actually just emailed them about doing another one. They were super responsive and helpful.

VernAK

WKR
I would be very cautious about booking caribou hunts very far out as herd conditions are changing rapidly and the different agencies don't always agree on quotas and hunting privileges.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Im reading the regs now. It looks like there are no longer river corridor restrictions in unit 26A? Is this new?

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Th river restrictions are the same as last year. Thier is going to be a population review after this season, which the feeling is thier will be more nonresident restrictions. I would be keeping a close eye on this before you put deposit money down

Mojave

WKR
You can hunt reindeer/caribou in Greenland for about $4000-12,000 depending on who you go with.

jdinville3

Lil-Rokslider
I've been booked with them for about a year for 2024. Reach out to Misty and you will get a good feel for the organization. Like someone else has mentioned, the ownership changed for the better. The amount of information Misty provides to get you going is very helpful. Prices do keep going up, but it's Alaska and if you can swing it, I don't think you will ever regret it.

Here's a linked review from Gear Guy from his trip and you can find a few other YouTube videos on Arrowhead also. Plus this is a 10 day self guided fly in hunt.

Arrowhead Outfitters review

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Th river restrictions are the same as last year. Thier is going to be a population review after this season, which the feeling is thier will be more nonresident restrictions. I would be keeping a close eye on this before you put deposit money down
Where are you seeing this? I see the restriction for 23 but I do not see one for 26A

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
In the declarations after the hearings last spring thier rulings were for the 22-23’ season

Starcraft

FNG
Alaska fish & game will have to respond with some restrictions to the drop in the western acrtic herd . The non residents will take the hit unfortunately .