2024 Mystery Ranch Hunting Packs

Welcome.

I don’t think you will notice much difference between a 45 and 50 liter pack.

a lot depends on what you carry. I hike with some ultra light weenies. I have done 6 nights in a 60L pack But that was without a bunch of hunting gear. For me, I am pretty comfortable for 1-2 nights with hunting gear in my mid size pack - 40L pintler. For more than a couple of nights I jump up to a larger bag when hunting, especially when it is cold And I need layers.

having said that, a lot of what I carry for a +3 day trip vs a 1-2 day trip is consumable - food and fuel - so you could get away with loading up a meat shelf on a smaller pack.

Welcome.

I don’t think you will notice much difference between a 45 and 50 liter pack.

a lot depends on what you carry. I hike with some ultra light weenies. I have done 6 nights in a 60L pack But that was without a bunch of hunting gear. For me, I am pretty comfortable for 1-2 nights with hunting gear in my mid size pack - 40L pintler. For more than a couple of nights I jump up to a larger bag when hunting, especially when it is cold And I need layers.

having said that, a lot of what I carry for a +3 day trip vs a 1-2 day trip is consumable - food and fuel - so you could get away with loading up a meat shelf on a smaller pack.
Thank you. Appreciate the well thought out response.

Any updates from people who've bought these new models? Interested to see what people think now that they're getting their hands on them.

Any updates from people who've bought these new models? Interested to see what people think now that they're getting their hands on them.
I have owned the new Sawtooth 45 for just over a week now. I have not gotten out overnight with it yet but it carry’s my 3 day loadout with not much room to spare, which is rightfully expected with a 45 liter bag. I will have to put food in a dry sack in the loaf shelf to accomplish that. It has, however, been successful with helping me carry out a pig. The bag was really easy to adjust to fit me and really comfortable carrying a 75 pound pig 2 miles. I’m really looking forward to spending the night out with it. Great looking bag and I’m happy so far with my purchase.

crowlja

FNG
Any tall guys run Mystery Ranch? I'm 6'4 and 220lbs. I ran the Metcalf for about a year during day hikes and training hikes (never hunted with it or took it out on over night trips). The seam where the torso adjust was right at the curve of my back so I ended up buying a Kafaru and selling my Mystery Ranch.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same issue or if it just the way I had it set up?

I keep looking at there day packs, but don't want to make my back raw again lol.

Any tall guys run Mystery Ranch? I'm 6'4 and 220lbs. I ran the Metcalf for about a year during day hikes and training hikes (never hunted with it or took it out on over night trips). The seam where the torso adjust was right at the curve of my back so I ended up buying a Kafaru and selling my Mystery Ranch.

Just wondering if anyone else had the same issue or if it just the way I had it set up?

I keep looking at there day packs, but don't want to make my back raw again lol.
I am 6’3”. #250. Fairly muscular back. I run my MR packs adjusted a little shorter than they suggest. Works for me. I tried Kifaru but never loved the fit. Different strokes for different folks.

I saw a comment on Hunt Talk from someone who got their hands on one of the updated Metcalf models with the new frame. They didn't like the updated padding and material. Said it was too soft and slick. I'm really curious if that's the impression others are having. These packs are so new to the market I'm not expecting much feedback yet.

Just saw that the fabric is now 330d instead of 500d. I’ve seen the MR 300d fabric and it’s not flimsy, but i don’t see how this isn’t a downgrade.

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
I listened to an episode of the Randy Newberg podcast with some Mystery Ranch guys on it talking about the new Metcalf packs. They basically said the 300d fabric these days is as good as 500d used to be. Who knows.

Their explanation for the switch back to the 3 piece waist belt was interesting. They compared the 5 piece from the NICE frame and Guide Light MT to a pair of heavy duty mountaineering boots and the 3 piece to a lighter pair of synthetic boots. Not sure if that’s what you want to hear for a 100 liter pack with a meat shelf… but then again, I had some discomfort with the five piece belt and am thinking about trying out the new packs to see if they fit better.