2024 Mystery Ranch Hunting Packs

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
The Radix 57 in the outdoor catalog looks badass, but I’d definitely miss using my brain to store my bladder.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Exciting that MR is doing more development on their hunting line. The ping ponging back and forth each iteration between 5 and 3 piece hip belts is interesting (the belt to frame connection looks like they've built some rigidity in there, perhaps like how they do the 5-piece belts)......Looks like some improvements in layout of bag, and FINALLY 3 compression straps to the frame on the sides. Doing 3 straps across the face is also interesting. The 75L being just shy of 5lb is a notable weight drop compared to where there hunting stuff was a decade ago, good news.

It'll be interesting to hear the field reports as these get used.

Certainly looks like an upgrade on MR, that’s good to see. I personally think they need to find a different yoke adjustment system, it’s easy to adjust but I think creates a fairly narrow window of body types that it actually fits right.

Belt looks like an improvement, but hard to say without wearing it. For those that like MR, this looks like a pretty solid system. I think they trimmed fat well this year in weight and bags design

Ran a Metcalf for two seasons so far. Looks like they TRIED to address my main issue but did a poor job of it. The pack needs a higher load shelf like the Stone Glacier. It says they moved the mounting point up, but the way it uses the extra material of the bag will still result in it riding low. That’s my main complaint because it constantly feels like you have to hike the whole pack up as the weight sags you down. I’m actually currently DIY’ing a SG style meatshelf into my MR frame.

My other main issue is the lid. If you don’t have the Metcalf fairly full, the lid turns more into an accessory bag on the back and not an actual lid. Last season I spike camped and the Metcalf compressed down to a day pack just fine minus using the lid. Would rather both attachment points be near the top of the bag as opposed to the bottom straps running all the way down as compression straps if that makes sense.
Other than the load shelf and lid, are there any other issues with the pack? I just received a metcalf as a gift.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Other than the load shelf and lid, are there any other issues with the pack? I just received a metcalf as a gift.
They are great backpacks if they fit you. They don't have as much compression (ie they only use 2 straps on the sides until this year) which can be a little annoying, and their frame height is a bit shorter for some people. The "yoke" has to fit your back/neck well, and is generally a lot warmer to wear than most other packs with yokes that are split down the middle (ie indepdent shoulder straps). The frame extension to get load lifter height is a bit narrow and right behind your head, which can be annoying depending on how tall your torso is. ALL of this stuff is faily nitpicky - they are bombproof, MR is the best with "finish" in my opinion when it comes to sewing, and their foam applications around the packs are generally very very nice. Hard to go wrong, especially for the price. I prefer other packs mostly, but it is based on how they work for my body. Like boots, fit rules the day.

bpeay4

FNG
I expect a lot of the old guide light packs will start to hit the classifieds like the K3's did when Exo released new packs...

personally I can't justify spending 500+ on a new pack for some insignificant upgrades.

Just stumbled across this catalog online - light on details and no pricing, but what are everyone's thoughts on this new lineup?

2024 Catalog
I recently bought the 50 Metcalf and a while I liked the bag itself I just couldn’t get on board with the fit. The hip belt is not wide and at least on me would slide down slightly with 60 pounds in it and just wasn’t comfortable. After countless adjustments. The meat shelf hangs low, I wish it wasn’t attached to the bag itself and had separate adjustments to raise it. The lid hangs loose if the pack is cinched down for a day pack. Overall not a bad pack but fit wasn’t for me.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I recently bought the 50 Metcalf and a while I liked the bag itself I just couldn’t get on board with the fit. The hip belt is not wide and at least on me would slide down slightly with 60 pounds in it and just wasn’t comfortable. After countless adjustments. The meat shelf hangs low, I wish it wasn’t attached to the bag itself and had separate adjustments to raise it. The lid hangs loose if the pack is cinched down for a day pack. Overall not a bad pack but fit wasn’t for me.
did the bag hang below the belt line and contact your rear? Some of their bags are connected/sewn like that, curious if the new ones are.

did the bag hang below the belt line and contact your rear? Some of their bags are connected/sewn like that, curious if the new ones are.
No it sat above my hips when I dialed in the fitting and stayed there until I got some good weight in and moved around. Hip belt I personally don’t think is wide enough.

No it sat above my hips when I dialed in the fitting and stayed there until I got some good weight in and moved around. Hip belt I personally don’t think is wide enough.
What other mods did they make to the frame vs the previous version?

So I bought one of their gravely 18 day packs. I plan to use it alone for some day trips and in place of a lid on longer trips. I like the idea of leaving my main pack at camp and having a day pack I can use for hunting.

it’s well built and well thought out. Attaching it at the top is easy with the supplied straps. I am going to have to figure out the best way to rig it to my pack on the sides.

So I bought one of their gravely 18 day packs. I plan to use it alone for some day trips and in place of a lid on longer trips. I like the idea of leaving my main pack at camp and having a day pack I can use for hunting.

it’s well built and well thought out. Attaching it at the top is easy with the supplied straps. I am going to have to figure out the best way to rig it to my pack on the sides.

If I was buying a new Metcalf, that would be bought with it. I wish all companies sold a little bag like that you can use as a primary bag or piggy back it on a different bag

MR has some excellent designers, I realized that when the pop up came out

If I was buying a new Metcalf, that would be bought with it. I wish all companies sold a little bag like that you can use as a primary bag or piggy back it on a different bag

MR has some excellent designers, I realized that when the pop up came out
It’s like a slightly bigger, more refined version of the Kifaru E&E. The MR daypack lid left me wanting a bit more from a function perspective on some hunts and this scratches that itch. It comes with a bit of a weight penalty but it looks like it will be worth it.

I am a day hunter and usually only overnight every now and then but want to spend more time in the woods. I’m thinking about buying a Sawtooth 45 for 3-4 day trips (hunting, hiking and backpacking). It’s a stretch, I know, but I run a tarp, bivy bag and am in hunting/hiking/backpacking in warmer weather (live on Oahu/Hawaii but hunt Arizona too). Ya’ll think I can pull that off or should I look at the Metcalf 50 and have a bit more room? My current hunting bag, Camelback Motherload 35L, handles all my day hiking/hunting needs but is no good for 3-4 days.