2024 NRL Hunter schedule

Lawnboi

WKR
For all the experienced guys-

I want to jump-in on my first NRL Hunter match this year. Closest to me is going to be Madras, OR and it looks to still be open for enrollment. Would my gear be enough to be dangerous, or do I need additional items for the skills division:

7 PRC suppressed in a XLR 4.0 shooting 180's, good bipod and scope.
RRS 34L
Revic BLR10B binos
Various rear bags
Kestrel

I will start nerding out on Youtube videos but want to get signed up soon.

I fully expect it to be a humbling experience.

Iv only shot one, but you just have to jump in. As with any shooting comp sometimes the biggest hurdle is showing up.

I’d just go shoot. If you never have shot a match of any kind I think skills might be good. But your gear wont hold you back. If you have any match experience I’d personally jump into shooting it in not skills.

I shot it with a bdl 3006, cause it’s all I had to make power factor and did fine. Learned a lot and would shoot the same again if it’s all I had. Was even able to pull something nice off the prize table.

CCooper

WKR
Iv only shot one, but you just have to jump in. As with any shooting comp sometimes the biggest hurdle is showing up.

I’d just go shoot. If you never have shot a match of any kind I think skills might be good. But your gear wont hold you back. If you have any match experience I’d personally jump into shooting it in not skills.

I shot it with a bdl 3006, cause it’s all I had to make power factor and did fine. Learned a lot and would shoot the same again if it’s all I had.
I do all of my shooting at a range or in the mountains. I have never shot a match or shot on a timer in my life.

parshal

WKR
RRS 34L
Revic BLR10B binos
Various rear bags
Kestrel
Other than the 7 PRC, your list has everything you need. The PRC is gonna beat you up over 20 stages and make it harder to spot impacts but it's your hunting gun so roll with it.

Don't expect to use your Kestrel on the clock. That's something to check at the waiting area before a stage.

Lawnboi

WKR
I do all of my shooting at a range or in the mountains. I have never shot a match or shot on a timer in my life.
I do think nrl hunter would be a hard first match in general with the stage layout.

I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot skills with what you have or even just sign up if you’re a confident shooter. Especially if you have time to train on a timer. That said skills is a good option to get some feedback. Sometimes just some of the safety rules that competitors take for granted can be harder work through for a newer shooter with the RO staying silient the whole time.

I shot my first nrl hunter coming from shooting a bunch of PRS style matches. Took a few stages to get a handle on time but beyond that the shooting was farily standard.

CCooper

WKR
Other than the 7 PRC, your list has everything you need. The PRC is gonna beat you up over 20 stages and make it harder to spot impacts but it's your hunting gun so roll with it.

Don't expect to use your Kestrel on the clock. That's something to check at the waiting area before a stage.
Thanks @parshal

I also have a 6 creed setup identically to the 7 PRC - it looks like no minimum power factor for the skills division

Ramem7mm

FNG
Never shot a match before and I have signed up for the Skills division at the Arbuckle event as well. Shooting a 7mm rem mag, not ideal for spotting impacts but it doesn't kick much with the muzzle brake. I will zoom out and try and get a decent position to hope to spot the impacts. See what happens and maybe work on building a gun for next time.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider

I want to jump-in on my first NRL Hunter match this year. Closest to me is going to be Madras, OR and it looks to still be open for enrollment. Would my gear be enough to be dangerous, or do I need additional items for the skills division:

edit to add- I have a 6 creed in a XLR as well (looks like no power factor for skills division)
RRS 34L
Revic BLR10B binos
Various rear bags
Kestrel

I've only shot 1 match, but am planning on doing the Madras one this year in the skills division too. I ran my first event with just my rifle, harris bipod, pack, binos, standalone rangefinder and had a great time. One of the more skilled guys took pity on me and let me borrow a gamechanger-ish bag (which was very helpful). As someone mentioned above, you probably won't be pulling out the kestrel during a stage, but it would be helpful for getting an idea of general wind between stages. The one thing that you don't have that may be helpful is an armboard to write down your comeups on. I was pulling out a small notepad from my pocket and that was not fun.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
For standard divisions the stages are blind so no ranging until you are on the clock. I'm not sure if more leeway is given for skills division. I think I read that the ROs can point out the targets to you in skills division if you would like.

Check out the schedule for the Idaho match. No chrono or weight on Friday. it'll all be done on Saturday morning. Shooting starts at 1100. Shooting a little longer into Saturday evening, but it could save me a day off work Friday.

I think they should do it like every USPSA match where there is a Chrono stage that competitors go through throughout the day. Roll it into the match and it wouldn’t take any more time.

It would help a lot with travel for most and would help to not have to plan to get there early on Friday. Would save a lot of people a day of PTO and make it a true 2 day event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
You still have to check the gun weights which takes nearly as along as the velocity check. I would hate to do that halfway through a match to find out I’m 1 ounce over weight and I’m screwed. I’m also not sure how they’d collect velocity on a stage. I’ve never seen a troop line which you may need to effectively use the Xero to gather the data.

They also apply zip ties to your gun and bipod at weigh in once your weight is determined.

The last two matches I’ve been on they allow Xero’s. You can bring your own and show them the results rather than wait in line. It goes much faster now with the Xero.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
The last two matches I’ve been on they allow Xero’s. You can bring your own and show them the results rather than wait in line. It goes much faster now with the Xero.

The Missouri match had 3 Xero's to catch power factor on Friday. They also allowed personal ones as well. Xero is a game changer for how quick it was compared to last year and Magnetospeed.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

You still have to check the gun weights which takes nearly as along as the velocity check. I would hate to do that halfway through a match to find out I’m 1 ounce over weight and I’m screwed. I’m also not sure how they’d collect velocity on a stage. I’ve never seen a troop line which you may need to effectively use the Xero to gather the data.

They also apply zip ties to your gun and bipod at weigh in once your weight is determined.

I’m aware of how the check in goes. Same stuff happens at USPSA match. It’s not actual a stage shot for score, it is just an equipment check “station”. It could be between stage 5 & 6 for example. Shooters filter through as the move from one stage to the next. They weight pistols, check to see if they fit the box if your division requires it, check for any modifications that are not legal in your declared division, etc. It doesn’t take much time and doesn’t effect the flow of the match.

This puts the onus on the shooter to make sure they are legal for their declared division. If you don’t make power factor or make weight that’s the shooters fault and you are either bumped up in division or you shoot NFS (not for score) with the skills division.

As for zero checking, maybe allow competitors an hour of daylight before the match and access to a 100yd target board to verify if they choose. But my opinion is that you should show up ready & zeroed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
This puts the onus on the shooter to make sure they are legal for their declared division. If you don’t make power factor or make weight that’s the shooters fault and you are either bumped up in division or you shoot NFS (not for score) with the skills division.
I've weighed my gear on multiple scales prior to arriving at a match only to have their scale weigh a couple ounces more.

ID_Matt

WKR

edit to add- I have a 6 creed in a XLR as well (looks like no power factor for skills division)
RRS 34L
Revic BLR10B binos
Various rear bags
Kestrel

I would shoot the 6 creed for sure if you are doing skills. You have a good list of equipment. I would add a wrist band of some sort to write dope on. I use a cheap football QB armboard and just put blue painters tape over it to write on. Bring a write in the rain pen or grease pen in case it rains. As others said, the kestrel will be nice for getting wind in between stages, but plan on using your binos for dope on the clock. A plate of some sort for your tripod is nice to rest your bag on to glass from.

CCooper

WKR
I would shoot the 6 creed for sure if you are doing skills. You have a good list of equipment. I would add a wrist band of some sort to write dope on. I use a cheap football QB armboard and just put blue painters tape over it to write on. Bring a write in the rain pen or grease pen in case it rains. As others said, the kestrel will be nice for getting wind in between stages, but plan on using your binos for dope on the clock. A plate of some sort for your tripod is nice to rest your bag on to glass from.
Any recommendations on a plate and a bag that plays nice with said table and a XLR?

Any recommendations on a plate and a bag that plays nice with said table and a XLR?

I've not used the various options enough to point definitively in one direction but my buddy has that SRS one and it worked well and I have the smaller/lighter LS wild one that comes with a flat bag for the same price https://www.lswild.com/store/p69/Ultralight_Plate_and_Bag.html

The flat bag is nice for glassing, helps for shooting, but isn't as stable as throwing a sand filled schmedium GC on top of the plate instead. I do like the velcro'd flat bag on there to keep things in place and think it's more convenient for glassing off of than throwing a GC on a plate. I think the SRS one is going to be more flexible for different sized GCs on top for shooting. A pint sized GC doesn't sit well on the LS plate.