2024 NRL Hunter schedule

Juan_ID

WKR
Any recommendations on a plate and a bag that plays nice with said table and a XLR?
Prolly not what you want to hear but I just toss my heavy schmedium gamechanger on top of my tripod without a plate. Disclaimer, I don’t “clip in” when shooting off a tripod either. Just use the same bag as above to rest my rifle on 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I've not used the various options enough to point definitively in one direction but my buddy has that SRS one and it worked well and I have the smaller/lighter LS wild one that comes with a flat bag for the same price https://www.lswild.com/store/p69/Ultralight_Plate_and_Bag.html

The flat bag is nice for glassing, helps for shooting, but isn't as stable as throwing a sand filled schmedium GC on top of the plate instead. I do like the velcro'd flat bag on there to keep things in place and think it's more convenient for glassing off of than throwing a GC on a plate. I think the SRS one is going to be more flexible for different sized GCs on top for shooting. A pint sized GC doesn't sit well on the LS plate.
I'm trying to decide between these two options. If I already have a schmedium gitlite gc, would you point me towards the SRS? Is the main advantage of the LS wild one just already having the bag on there for speed to glassing off it?

ID_Matt

WKR
Any recommendations on a plate and a bag that plays nice with said table and a XLR?
The SRS one quoted above works great for me. A lot of guys just use a 3d printed plastic or home made one. It really doesn't matter too much. I do like the SRS over a cheaper one because the tolerances on the arca attachment match my XLR. I have used other plates that don't quite clip in the same and it is a pain to have to adjust my head for it. Mute point if you don't have a clamp style head that has to be timed perfect.

As for bags, the vast majority of guys are going to be using an Armageddon gear gamechanger of some sort. Schmedium waxed is probably the most popular. I have one with git lite fill and one with sand. The sand is undoubtedly more stable than about anything else, but at an 8+ lb weight penalty. If you get one, take about 1/3 of the sand out.

I'm trying to decide between these two options. If I already have a schmedium gitlite gc, would you point me towards the SRS? Is the main advantage of the LS wild one just already having the bag on there for speed to glassing off it?

That is a benefit that it's already there on the plate and its not going to roll off the table while moving between positions. That little flat bag is just nice for glassing off of period. My only experience with NRL hunter is a 1 day where we watched all the other shooters and we rotated being RO on the stages so I spent a lot of time behind the binos and just found that flat bag setup convenient. There is no manipulating a bag at all, just throw your binos on it. For pure shooting that SRS one or no tripod head at all like @Juan_ID said with schmediums might be preferable?

This input is with limited use so I'd give more credence to input from guys who have more experience with them.

inkedspot

FNG
I use a similar tac table to the SRS one with a Git-Lite filled Bone Bag on top of it. Works for glassing as well as for shooting off of. Depending on the hike up the hill when hunting - I take the exact same set up.

Personally I wont carry a 7-8 lb bag hunting so I work with my lighter bag for the practice. Seems pretty stable to me.

inkedspot

FNG
You need to find targets and range first which is easier to do with a plate and a bag. I find that i am more stable shooting off a plate/bag than direct off tripod, but you will burn some time swapping plate off for rifle.

Thats my experience but every person is different

Lawnboi

WKR
Does anyone clip into their Anvil head, or is it too slow hence the plate and bag?
I can translation faster from glassing/shooting with a plate and bag. I also have an easier time getting natural point of aim and managing recoil with a bag.

That said for a match I’m carrying an aluminum plate and a cheater bag (sand schmedium). Kneeling off this setup I’m at prone level stability.

I wonder how stability would compare if @hereinaz made a similar flat bag with sand fill to leave on the plate vs the existing one with git lite... More in line with gamer intention than the current design's utility for actual hunts but might be cool.

Or do any of you guys attach your bags to platforms or tripod apex in a different manner? I had one stage where the schmedium slipped off the LS plate and rolled downhill a little in front of the shooting location on a stage. The real answer is to suck less at gear manipulation but anything preventing that is nice.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I wonder how stability would compare if @hereinaz made a similar flat bag with sand fill to leave on the plate vs the existing one with git lite... More in line with gamer intention than the current design's utility for actual hunts but might be cool.

Or do any of you guys attach your bags to platforms or tripod apex in a different manner? I had one stage where the schmedium slipped off the LS plate and rolled downhill a little in front of the shooting location on a stage. The real answer is to suck less at gear manipulation but anything preventing that is nice.

I have an aluminum plate, covered in athletic tape, combined with the waxed canvas it sticks pretty well. Any more attachment and you lose versatility to grab your bag and shoot off something quickly.

I don’t think a smaller flat bag would be better. Part of the beauty and why the schmedium both git lite and especially sand, are so stable is that they create a large contact area on the bag and nearly hold the rifle in place when settled. Forming almost around the rifle if that makes sense. Something like a flat bag dosnt givevery much, similar to putting a rifle mounted plate ala PRS on a tripod and shooting off it. It just dosnt offer the cushion that the schmedium does. I tried it thinking it would work when I bought a plate/bag combo but anymore it just is used for prs in tripod rear situations

The aluminum plate and sand schmedium is my cheater setup, I can settle my rifle on that bag and have zero wobble.

Also for those that don’t have the current generation of AG sand…. I don’t know what they did but holy hell doesn’t settle and form well to a rifle.

ID_Matt

WKR

A heavier sand fill would definitely help stability for shooting, but then you may have 2 heavy bags to carry around. There are a lot of stages that you can use natural terrain to glass from - rocks or a stump, so no need to deploy the tripod. At the matches I went to, most of your shooting was with a bag on a rock or stump, OR bipod with bag rear. Stages you actually shot off a tripod was fairly low - maybe 10%?? For that reason, I don't think I'd want a heavy bag separate than my normal bag that is fixed to the plate. Light bag, sure.

OP
kharb22

kharb22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm kind of the odd one on this. I use my tripod for these matches. A lot. I don't have a ball head on my tripod or any way to clamp in. I just throw my schmedium with regular fill on there and use that for glassing or shooting. I picked this up from Morgan King last year when I was able to shoot a match and squad with him. I also will deploy my tripod whenever I can to set up right over the sighting pin. Even if it is a rock or stump. I figure it's easier for me to glass from the top of the tripod to be stable to get a solid range. And if I need it, it's up and ready.

I shot my first NRL hunter match (first match of any kind) in Laramie WY last weekend and it was a total blast even with the less the ideal weather conditions we had on the first day. Made some dumb mistakes that I learned from and can’t wait to try another one next year.

I didn’t use my tripod to shoot off a single time - which worked out well for me since I only have a light weight backpacking one. Lots of shooting off rocks or awkward prone shots.