2024 Sheep Hunt Conservation Raffles

mt100gr.

WKR
@CHL
@WiscoHoundsman
@duckcarver
@Doc Holliday

As mentioned, MT state law prohibits us from allowing "gambling " on credit. There are many nonprofit organizations in the state that hope to lobby together for changes to that law, but for now it is so.

The states listed in the fine print have their own laws prohibiting online sales of raffle tickets. Those are for the residents of those states to understand and abide by. I don't know if the other raffles listed have exemptions for those of you in those states, but the individual organizations should absolutely be able to tell you whether you are eligible.

As far as the $15,000 federal tax liability, that is certainly significant. Individual organizations can either absorb that cost or pass it along to the winner. In the latter case, I suppose it could be viewed as winning a very deeply discounted hunt as you will still have substantial expenses. MT has done it both ways and for our current raffle, we voted to pass that along to the winner and be clear about it from the start. Mainly because our goal is to maximize the amount of money we have available for on-the-ground conservation efforts. In MT we have unique opportunities to put the money to work. It's also a good thing when the winner, that will become an outfitter's client has some skin in the game. These are outfitters that we have developed relationships with and the winning hunter is representing our organization, too. If spending some of their own hard earned money helps them take the hunt (fitness, prep, gear, COMMUNICATION, etc.) more seriously, that's all the better for everyone.

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck to everyone!

@CHL
@WiscoHoundsman
@duckcarver
@Doc Holliday

The states listed in the fine print have their own laws prohibiting online sales of raffle tickets. Those are for the residents of those states to understand and abide by. I don't know if the other raffles listed have exemptions for those of you in those states, but the individual organizations should absolutely be able to tell you whether you are eligible.
The rules in Florida around raffles are for raffles held in Florida. You all are conducting your raffle in Montana.

I think the verbiage was inserted by someone in your organization as part of a legal checklist of what they thought they should include, without actually understanding who they are potentially excluding, and why.

The Oregon WSF Desert Raffle on the other hand, states a much shorter list of states (Montana being one of them, and Florida is not!) where online raffle ticket sales is prohibited, BUT, they provide a workaround with a form and a means to get tickets. So they are not excluding anyone!

1707660970633.png

My question remains: What happens if I buy a ticket? Can I win your raffle, or is my ticket going to be thrown away, or worse, not even make it to the bin?

I want to be clear I really appreciate you putting yourself out here to answer questions, and am not trying to be snarky or put you or MT WSF on blast in any way here, just really want some answers as it is frustrating to not be sure what's going on behind closed doors. I hope this is also helpful to residents of other states who share the same concerns.

mt100gr.

WKR
Honestly, there's a good chance that you (and I, now that we're having this conversation) know more about this than whomever is putting the information into the websites! It's very curious to me, but I seem to recall receiving a notice from National WSF that online ticket sales are a no-no in certain states. I suspect that list is simply being pasted into the site...BUT it definitely does not appear to be consistent as Oregon clearly has a different list.

At a minimum, I will put together a form for states listed on our site today, present it to the board and see if we can get that added. Right now we are scrambling to get our banquet organized, but I will at least get the ball rolling.

To your question: I don't know, exactly. I didn't get a complete answer but I will present it in another way. I would say that if you buy a ticket online from a state that we list as ineligible, that your entry would be excluded at some point in the process but I don't believe there is anything in place to keep you from buying it....which is kind of silly.

I am surprised that it is really this complicated, so I appreciate patience in trying to sort it all out.

Stay tuned!

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the information man and checking into this.

MntHunter

FNG
You shouldn't have to pay taxes on the Montana lottery, and not sure why they are collecting anyways, you would have to pay taxes to the IRS and not organization. If anything it is best guess at estimated taxes.

But there is a clause in the IRS guidance that non profit raffles where the prize is not valued more than 300x of the cost of ticket is exempt from paying taxes.

So at 250 a ticket the sheep hunt would need to be valued at 75001. It is probably closer to 60ish so should be good.

*Not financial advice and please consult your CPA.

mt100gr.

WKR
You shouldn't have to pay taxes on the Montana lottery, and not sure why they are collecting anyways, you would have to pay taxes to the IRS and not organization. If anything it is best guess at estimated taxes.

But there is a clause in the IRS guidance that non profit raffles where the prize is not valued more than 300x of the cost of ticket is exempt from paying taxes.

So at 250 a ticket the sheep hunt would need to be valued at 75001. It is probably closer to 60ish so should be good.

*Not financial advice and please consult your CPA.
Legal counsel and a variety of CPAs and MT gaming folks disagree. But I suppose the winner can argue that on their own.

As it turns out, no one EVER self reports winnings. And the liability falls on the organization according to our president, so this is our way of assuring that the winner takes care of it.

*also not legal or financial advice! Consult your CPA and or legal representative.

MntHunter

FNG
As it turns out, no one EVER self reports winnings. And the liability falls on the organization according to our president, so this is our way of assuring that the winner takes care of it.

Lol yeah I believe you that no one ever reports (though being honest I would, don't mess with the IRS).

Did your president say what forms are required or if anything like a 1099 is given to the winner? Does the organization give the winner anything to show that they paid the taxes? This is more out of curiosity since I buy a lot of raffles but have never won.

mt100gr.

WKR
Lol yeah I believe you that no one ever reports (though being honest I would, don't mess with the IRS).

Did your president say what forms are required or if anything like a 1099 is given to the winner? Does the organization give the winner anything to show that they paid the taxes? This is more out of curiosity since I buy a lot of raffles but have never won.
As would I! The IRS is slower than snake shit, but once there's a few zeros behind anything they seem to pay attention.

I'm not sure on the forms but I know there is plenty of paperwork exchanged and available.

mt100gr.

WKR
To follow up from before:

I did some more digging and had a chance to talk a bit with our board members that were tasked with figuring all of this out a few years ago...

There is no cut and dried list of states that allow online raffle ticket sales. It's really messy. A lot depends on the state that is hosting vs where you may be trying to buy from. Basically, organizations offering raffles make a list of states that have been or potentially could be a pain in the ass if the winner is a resident. The selling site may or may not take your card and if accepted, you may or may not technically be eligible.

Fun fact: National WSF is incorporated in Nevada! So gaming with national is much more straightforward.

The guy (board member) that added the raffle to our site recently said that he reviewed the suspect states again this year and literally just added 4 more states to our (MT) list because his interpretation of the language made them iffy.

There will be a form added to our website for residents of those states to participate. I will link it here if @Doc Holliday doesnt beat me to it.

Again, good luck to everyone!

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Will do! I already went down the lightweight forum rabbit hole for my stone sheep hunt....... So I have everything besides a blaze orange hat for WY lol
Freaking awesome man!!! What a few weeks / months you’re gonna have this fall! If you need someone to take the Stone Sheep off your hands so you can focus on the Bighorn, I’d gladly be that guy. 😜 Good luck and keep us posted.

JasonWi

WKR
This thread just cost me a bunch of money!

I’m in for one ID stone sheep hunt and for two OR desert sheep hunt tickets.

This would be a great way to finally get out of the >1 sheep club.

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Not a raffle but they have some desert sheep hunts up for auction at a few SCI chapter banquets. You can find them online at onlinehuntingauctions.