2024 Turkey Meat Pole

After 5 years of hard hunting chasing gobblers in the Colorado mountains, I finally got it done! After completely missing a shot at a Jake at first light, I began chasing after a rafter of 8-10 turkeys. They were moving up a hill and I ran after them after they crested the top. Luckily, some deer fed out in front of them and made them stall as they were 40 yards from the edge of private. Using the cover of some boulders between me and the turkeys, I snuck up and was able to take this great Tom!
IMG_1662.jpegIMG_1664.jpegIMG_1665.jpeg

Last edited:

Taudisio

WKR
On the board! First one with a fixed blade broadhead. Necropsy revealed a double lung, spine, and severed the heart arteries. The exodus continues to be deadly!

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    500.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3228.jpeg
    IMG_3228.jpeg
    862.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    387.5 KB · Views: 28

Broomd

WKR
Opening day Merriam's gobbler.
I had no idea my pine bough blind was 30' under his roost! Shocked the pudding outta me when he and another tom gobbled from a few yards above me. Didn't move a muscle, he glided over and outta the meadow for the morning.

Set back up a few hours later with some box calling; several hens came in and he wasn't far behind....8.5" beard.

Attachments

• ylEqmqO8TM+rw2%QLFdaIQ.jpg
    ylEqmqO8TM+rw2%QLFdaIQ.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 48
  • VnIz5YeATiuyzi4eUyDUSA.jpg
    VnIz5YeATiuyzi4eUyDUSA.jpg
    849.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I drove up to my place in Oklahoma yesterday, and it was surprisingly warm and very windy. I gambled on where to set up, and it paid off. I was about 400 yards northwest at the opposite end of a grove of trees along the river from my camera where I’ve been seeing turkeys, because I know they hang out in those trees. The wind was blowing pretty hard so I was up wind to hopefully get the sound to carry into the trees. I called a few times and after a while got a glimpse of something moving in the shade about 50 yards away. When he came out into the light, I could see it was a tom I’ve been watching that has something wrong with his beard (maybe beard rot), so I just sat still and watched him for about 30 minutes as he milled around my decoys (which I set up way too close). All of a sudden I hear a gobble south of me, but I was afraid to call back because of getting busted. Well, the other tom acted as my live decoy and coaxed this tom within 10 yards. It was a bang and no flop. The 1 1/4 oz #7.5 load dropped him like a hot rock even out of a modified choke.
He has a 9 1/4” beard and 1” and 1 1/8” spurs.
IMG_0679.jpeg
IMG_0688.jpeg

Last edited:

Devin.y

FNG
I drove up to my place in Oklahoma yesterday, and it was surprisingly warm and very windy. I gambled on where to set up, and it paid off. I was about 400 yards northwest at the opposite end of a grove of trees along the river from my camera where I’ve been seeing turkeys, because I know they hang out in those trees. The wind was blowing pretty hard so I was up wind to hopefully get the sound to carry into the trees. I called a few times and after a while got a glimpse of something moving in the shade about 50 yards away. When he came out into the light, I could see it was a tom I’ve been watching that has something wrong with his beard (maybe beard rot), so I just sat still and watched him for about 30 minutes as he milled around my decoys (which I set up way too close). All of a sudden I hear a gobble south of me, but I was afraid to call back because of getting busted. Well, the other tom acted as my live decoy and coaxed this tom within 10 yards. It was a bang and no flop. The 1 1/4 oz #7.5 load dropped him like a hot rock even out of a modified choke.
He has a 9 1/4” beard and 1” and 1 1/8” spurs.
View attachment 701272
View attachment 701273
Good looking turkey! I'm actually going on my first turkey hunt this weekend in Western Oklahoma.

dtrkyman

WKR
fb68665acef33ccdc8784d1f8ca6808b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk