20V DeWalt Chainsaw review

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
I think some of the oil leaking is because as the motor runs (gas or electric) it operates an oil pump. This pump runs the entire time the motor turns. When you shut the motor off there is oil pressure between the oil pump and the bar. This pressurized oil leaks out of the oil hole in the bar.

Erict

WKR
I did the "anti-leak" modification like in the video today. It went smoothly and after taking it apart you see first hand the little places where seepage could happen. I don't need to use it soon so won't be able to give a report until then. I probably wouldn't have gone through the work but I have the Dewalt pole saw and the leaking is so bad I just plan on emptying it after each use.

It doesn’t leak out of the cap. It leaks out the bottom.
Mine leaked like crazy before I put the oring on as shown. I thought it was useless and that I would have to drain the oil after every use like is being discussed above. After installing the oring, I haven’t had any problems with oil leaking from mine.

Mine leaked like crazy before I put the oring on as shown. I thought it was useless and that I would have to drain the oil after every use like is being discussed above. After installing the oring, I haven’t had any problems with oil leaking from mine.
Wonder if it just creates a vacuum and holds the fluid in from leaking. Perhaps that's why the manufacturers don't put an oring up top, might slow down the oiling of the chain as it runs?

SDHNTR

WKR
I think some of the oil leaking is because as the motor runs (gas or electric) it operates an oil pump. This pump runs the entire time the motor turns. When you shut the motor off there is oil pressure between the oil pump and the bar. This pressurized oil leaks out of the oil hole in the bar.
That does make sense initially after running it, but mine will leak continuously for days, as long as there is oil in the reservoir.

Beagle1

Lil-Rokslider
I have the leak problem with my Dewalt 12” and polesaw. The o ring did not solve the problem. I keep them on their side in the garage and have had no leaks. When I transport them upright I place them on a piece of thick cardboard.

For the Dewalt 12” what replacement chain have you found to be the best.

Crusader

WKR
I did the "anti-leak" modification like in the video today. It went smoothly and after taking it apart you see first hand the little places where seepage could happen. I don't need to use it soon so won't be able to give a report until then. I probably wouldn't have gone through the work but I have the Dewalt pole saw and the leaking is so bad I just plan on emptying it after each use.
I have the pole saw also and the leak drives me crazy. Have to empty it when transporting the saw anywhere and somehow wrap it when transporting between cutting areas on the property.

Wheels

WKR
I have the leak problem with my Dewalt 12” and polesaw. The o ring did not solve the problem. I keep them on their side in the garage and have had no leaks. When I transport them upright I place them on a piece of thick cardboard.

For the Dewalt 12” what replacement chain have you found to be the best.

I have found that a weakness of the saws is the small kerf. As you get into 12-16" trees, your probability of pinching the bar increases. The choices are use a wedge like you do with a crosscut or pull early and cut from underneath. It won't give you any hints so you have to be on your toes.

If a replacement chain will give you a smaller kerf and you cut bigger wood, you might not want that. I have been told people have gone to a larger chain to compensate for that but I haven't worn one out yet and I have a number of gas saws for when the work gets intense.

Got a 20V 12" bar Dealt chainsaw, before I got it to elk camp this year I wanted to give it a hard trial run. Brought a full truck load of wood home today. One 5amh battery cut roughly 60 cuts, with juice left on the battery.
I'd say it works extremely well!
View attachment 672779
I'm looking at one. Thanks.
Got a 20V 12" bar Dealt chainsaw, before I got it to elk camp this year I wanted to give it a hard trial run. Brought a full truck load of wood home today. One 5amh battery cut roughly 60 cuts, with juice left on the battery.
I'd say it works extremely well!
View attachment 672779
Good to know. I'm looking at one.

I haven't done this yet to mine but it seems like fixing the oil leak is relatively easy to fix, minus having to take the saw apart.

Not all heros wear capes.

I have had this saw for years, have always just accepted it would leak all over the fing place, until is was about 1/4 tank.

Going to tear it apart today and seal up the actual tank joints per video

pcrossett

FNG
Not all heros wear capes.

I have had this saw for years, have always just accepted it would leak all over the fing place, until is was about 1/4 tank.

Going to tear it apart today and seal up the actual tank joints per video

Let us know how it goes! That was my project for this upcoming weekend.

Pretty simple, basic hand tools will do it, other than a long t20 torx. A long bit driver won't fit in a few of the holes, you either need a 4 inch long bit, t20 screw driver, or long t20 allen.

Just keep track of your screws and beware of a few small pins and springs.

Confirmed with water in the sink it leaks at this internal gasket. Parts sandwich together before the gasket is compressed. Just slap some silicon on both sides of the square ring and put back together. No more puddles of bar oil under this saw!!

Attachments

• 20240217_163122.jpg
    20240217_163122.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Spacek81

FNG
I've been impressed with my 20v Dewalt chainsaw. It may not have the weight and speed to cut through a tree as fast as my gas powered chainsaw, but that's not why I bought it. It takes care of many limbs that fall throughout my yard that are still continously falling from the icestorm of 2009 here in western KY. Definitely would buy again.

rayporter

WKR
the directions with my Dewalt saw said to drain the oil after use. that got old fast, so i just plan to keep something under it.

i put an Oregon chain on and it does as good as you can expect if you hit it with a file every now and then.

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I got really lucky on the pole saw as mine has never leaker. My Dewalt 20v chainsaw and Husqvarna Gas Saw has always made a mess. I plan on adding some gasket sealer this week. I need to replace a hose on the Husqvarna, so maybe i'll look at adding some sealer to its tank as well.

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
Is mine the only one that quits working in damp weather?

How long does it take to start working again, and what's a good way to dry it out? Asking for a friend.
Got mine wet, doesn't work anymore.
Blew it out with the air compressor have it hanging bar down in the warm garage.

Hahahaha, it works, you have to disengage the bar brake if you want it to keep working guys! Lol

Last edited: