20V DeWalt Chainsaw review

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear! I bought the 20" with the 60v battery at a wildlife fundraiser. Haven't tried it yet but it should be perfect for hunting.

I have a 12" that we use on trails while hunting on horseback. Three batteries will give you more cutting time than you have the strength. Take a qt of bar lube and a set of files and cut to your hearts content.

Let it cut as opposed to push it like a gas saw.

I have the Dewalt pole saw and weed eater. They are both great tools. I love not having to mix gas and change carbs out every year or two.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
My eldest brought me a little "Homelite" with a little short blade. It's corded.
No more chain saw work than I do and it works like a champ!

taskswap

WKR
I have the same one and love it. For me the biggest value is the ecosystem. I also have their tire inflator which uses the same battery but can also plug into a cigarette lighter port or AC outlet and can also inflate air mattresses and sports balls, as well as their portable pressure washer. That last seems like a luxury but is super helpful for dealing with things like mildew in your cooler (I clean mine at home, but missed one last year so this was nice), heavy mud off boots or wheel wells, etc. All from one battery.

When I go somewhere I don't feel like bringing a chain saw, I carry a reciprocating saw with a 12" Diablo wood blade. You can deal with up to a 20" or so trunk in an emergency if you use it right and it's super fast for smaller stuff like cutting an 8-10" sapling in half to get it off a roadway. That takes no bar oil so there's no maintenance, so I just always have it with me for emergencies.

Wheels

WKR
I've got the 20v. Dewalt 12" chainsaw like yours, its a great little saw for small work or if I don't want to get the big saw out. My only complaint is the oil reservoir leaks like crazy. Have to lay the saw on its side when not using to keep the oil from leaking out the cap. I'm sure I could find an O ring that fits the cap, but shouldn't have to.

Reactions: Fdh

Trial153

WKR
My 20v stays in the truck and Side by side , comes in handy running hounds all winter.
Pros…light and easy to use, convenient. I have an impact wrench for tire changes ect …
Cuts well enough for what it is.

Cons, the oil leaks leaks like crazy. Mine also doesn’t like moisture at all and has cut out several time in damp weather.

Personally I am looking for a replacement.

taskswap

WKR
On the oil issue, what works well for me is I don't keep the bar oil full, I only put in a fifth of a bottle when I take the saw out to do some cutting. For storage I cut a poly-backed drop cloth into four rectangles and wrap the saw with one when I put it in my truck. The cloth absorbs the oil and the poly backing stops it from bleeding through. It's not perfect but it does the job.

KHNC

WKR
I have the pole saw. As others said, it works great , but leaks all the bar oil out when in storage. Makes a mess and has done it since it was new. Stihl electric saw doesnt leak oil, but is much more expensive.

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 20v 12'" and the 60v 18". Aside from the 20v leaking oil, I am very happy with both. The 60v has a ton more power and ran probably about 15 minutes on a 9AH battery with heavy use. I was on my 3rd battery that day when the trailer filled up.

On the oil issue, what works well for me is I don't keep the bar oil full, I only put in a fifth of a bottle when I take the saw out to do some cutting. For storage I cut a poly-backed drop cloth into four rectangles and wrap the saw with one when I put it in my truck. The cloth absorbs the oil and the poly backing stops it from bleeding through. It's not perfect but it does the job.
Can you post a picture of this? Seems like a simple solution.