22-250 down to two choices I think

If you’re dead set on the 55gr Vmax then I wouldn’t get a 1:8 22-250, that bullet is very very thin and that’s a lot of RPM’s at 22-250 muzzle velocities. 1:9 may

The 53gr Vmax is a far superior bullet, not sure what they do to it and why but it does fine in fast twist barrels, they’re more uniform, and they have a higher BC than the 55gr too. It would be fine in a 1:14 and more ideal at 22-250 velocity but I know people who run them in 8 twist 22 creedmoors and they don’t come apart so an 8 twist would be fine too and would give you the option to load heavies if you wanted.

With that said, if it were me I’d get the Tikka 8 twist and then run Berger 80.5gr full bores. Basically a laser beam to 600 yards at 22-250 velocities, super accurate and uniform bullet, and really really effective on varmints.

The 53 gr Vmaxes do NOTalways stabilize in 1:14's. Actually I've seen more that won't than will.

53 vmax or 52 speer varmint are the best shooting for me and many others. personally, never had the need to use heavies in a 22-250 so no advice there.

MEdude

Lil-Rokslider
I did get a bergara. My dudes didn’t have any availability for tikkas, and I have no patience.

Hard to believe I didn’t get a Tikka, as I have always wanted one.

Thanks for all the input. I know these this vs that threads pop up all the time. It is nice to get specific input on ones exact scenario.
I’m working through the same decision. Anything to share on how you feel about your choice?

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
I’m working through the same decision. Anything to share on how you feel about your choice?
Been busy lately just got it scoped. Hope to shoot it this week. I will have no frame of reference on it vs a tikka though.

tyco

FNG
I just acquired a B14 ridge. I picked up some 50 grain Vmax to test it out, but haven’t had a chance to get it out yet. Curious if there is any suggestion for factory ammo that’s a good fit for the 1:9 twist rate?

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
I have been running 55 Hornady V-Max. Been working fine.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I like 55 gr ballistic tips pushed by H414. If you're wanting to save coyote hides, I'd try something else. Although I hear they're not worth much lately.68643~2.jpeg

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
I like 55 gr ballistic tips pushed by H414. If you're wanting to save coyote hides, I'd try something else. Although I hear they're not worth much lately.View attachment 647198
About 5 dollars generally dependent of course on a number of things. Some fur buyers in my area aren’t even buying this year.

OP
TFrank

TFrank

WKR
I just acquired a B14 ridge. I picked up some 50 grain Vmax to test it out, but haven’t had a chance to get it out yet. Curious if there is any suggestion for factory ammo that’s a good fit for the 1:9 twist rate?
Let me know how it works out. There are a number of folks out there who are pretty sour on the Bergara brand.

tyco

FNG
Thanks. This thread was one I was following closely before getting it. I have a Tikka in another caliber that I love, but have always wanted to try a Bergara too.

How has yours fared? Was hoping you could give me a head start if you found certain ammo did or did not work well with it.

Just mounted a scope on mine today and waiting for a chance to test it out.