22-250 for Deer

RS3579

WKR
I’m looking for a place to get factory loaded ammo for a 22-250. I would like it with TMK bullets. If they doesn’t exist, what is a recommended factory load? This is for my young son as it’s his 1st year hunting. Thanks in advance

Legend

WKR
You need to know your twist rate. If it is a 14twist then you will be stuck with 50 to 60 grains. We have killed a good number of deer with this weight bullet.

As for which round. Don't overthink it. Since it is his first deer you should be very close to ensure success. And if you are inside of 100yds any old bullet will work.

Heavy 22-250 factory loads are non existent because the standard twist rate is 1:14. Something like Barnes is your best bet.

Or just get the kid a Tikka compact 223 for $650 and enjoy all the factory heavy bullet options.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Federal offers the partition that if accurate is probably your best factory option. The 55 grain Fusion is great too, but discontinued so if you see it get all you can if you hope to use it.

I would look at barnes 50 grain rounds . Nice high velocity out of a 22-250 . If you hit shoulder . No problems
This is one of the few situations I actually prefer Barnes. But if you're gonna shoot thin jacket varmint bullets, lung shots work just fine or else it'll make a complete mess of the shoulder.

8grenade

FNG
The .22-250 is best known as a varmint round so that should tell you something. It can surely kill a deer but there are scores of better cartridges for deer hunting. Would not be a good feeling at all having a deer get away wounded and then you wondering if maybe you should have used a more potent round.

The Guide

WKR
As others have stated, the 22-250 often has a 1/14 or a 1/12 twist barrel as the cartridge was designed for use on varmints with light fast expanding bullets. If you have one that has a faster twist, you can use more modern designed bullets in heavier weights. If not or you are unsure, your best bet would be to use a bullet in the 50 to 60 grain size with either a soft point, a controlled expansion, or a monolithic bullet design.

Jay

If you have the twist for the heavies, you can always pay for semicustom ammo to be loaded for the 22/250. Or the tikka 223 route, or have the 22/250 recut to 22 creed, which has heavy bullet offeriings.

To the fngs on this thread, take a look:

The .22-250 is best known as a varmint round so that should tell you something. It can surely kill a deer but there are scores of better cartridges for deer hunting. Would not be a good feeling at all having a deer get away wounded and then you wondering if maybe you should have used a more potent round.
Lol its not like you're blood trailing rock chucks after getting tagged with a 22-250, it's known for blowing varmints into 1000 tiny little chunks and mist. Centerfire "varmint rounds" are only called varmint rounds because they're cheaper and easier to shoot in large volumes than larger calibers. Not saying its a good Cape buffalo choice, but we're talking about a deer here..

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
What did you end up using for factory ammo? What were your results? My mom used a 22-250 for whitetails back in the day. We reloaded hornady 55gr sp at 3600 fps for her and she never lost a deer or antelope. That bullet placed in the armpit was devastating on deer and usually gave an exit. It was actually a really good midrange round when using the MPBR method. Hold dead on out to 300.

OP
R

RS3579

WKR
What did you end up using for factory ammo? What were your results? My mom used a 22-250 for whitetails back in the day. We reloaded hornady 55gr sp at 3600 fps for her and she never lost a deer or antelope. That bullet placed in the armpit was devastating on deer and usually gave an exit. It was actually a really good midrange round when using the MPBR method. Hold dead on out to 300.
We’re holding off on the deer shooting until next season. We’re still practicing. Currently using the Hornady Varmint Express .22-250 55 Grain. They’re showing good groups.