22 ARC

Looks like 22 ARC is likely on the horizon from hornady. But why? I can see tiny improvements vs the valkyrie (little fatter/shorter) but it's hard seeing how that would really amount to anything. 20 FPS?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, if they throated for longer heavier factory loads, that’s a huge point. If Hornady is smart, they will be loading their heavier ELD bullets into the ARC.

The throat dimensions of the Valkyrie don’t allow for loading out longer bullets Without pushing it deeper into the case then is ideal. I think that could be the biggest difference and is what would allow a bigger velocity difference.

Plus there are already bolt guns with the Grendel/ARC bolt face. And, there is the availability of good Grandel brass.

For AR platform, not as much difference IMO.

I think the velocity game is a little bit higher than that. But, I can’t remember from when I was comparing the Valkyrie and 22 Grendel.

SouthPaw

WKR
Yes, if they throated for longer heavier factory loads, that’s a huge point. If Hornady is smart, they will be loading their heavier ELD bullets into the ARC.
Correct. Factory loaded with 88g ELDM it seems.

OP
wind gypsy
Yes, if they throated for longer heavier factory loads, that’s a huge point. If Hornady is smart, they will be loading their heavier yell, the bullets into the ARC.

The throat dimensions of the Valkyrie don’t allow for loading out longer bullets Without pushing it deeper into the case then is ideal. I think that could be the biggest difference and is what would allow a bigger velocity difference.

Plus there are already bolt guns with the Grendel/ARC bolt face. And, there is the availability of good Grandel brass.

I think the velocity game is a little bit higher than that. But, I can’t remember from when I was comparing the Valkyrie and 22 Grendel.
I looked at case capacities quick and found 22 valk @ 34.5 grains vs 6 ARC @ 34.0 grains. Being that the neck is longer on the valk i guess some of that is likely unusable. Don't know the accuracy of that but necking down the ARC will result in even a little less capacity.

Maybe they could use 50-60 thou more freebore than Valk to get same distance to lands? or just really lengthen things and avoid worrying about distance to lands but add more powder?

I'm skeptical as well, but I'm waiting on some 88gr factory velocity numbers. I've had a 224 valkyrie when it came out and the accuracy was unimpressive with all the loads I tried and I even sent it back to the manufacturer. Seemed to be a common story. It seems that Hornady might know how to design a better chamber that will yield more consistent performance.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm skeptical as well, but I'm waiting on some 88gr factory velocity numbers. I've had a 224 valkyrie when it came out and the accuracy was unimpressive with all the loads I tried and I even sent it back to the manufacturer. Seemed to be a common story. It seems that Hornady might know how to design a better chamber that will yield more consistent performance.
I had a Valk barrel and was unimpressed.

The 22 Grendel has been around and has a history as a better performer as a one of the 6.5 Grendel wildcats. I looked close at it when I was deciding what to chamber my Howa Mini in. Then I looked again when I had a chance to pick up an AR 15 upper for a deal.

And, Hornady figured out the 6 ARC as far as I can tell. How the cartridge is designed for SAAMI spec makes a big difference.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I looked at case capacities quick and found 22 valk @ 34.5 grains vs 6 ARC @ 34.0 grains. Being that the neck is longer on the valk i guess some of that is likely unusable. Don't know the accuracy of that but necking down the ARC will result in even a little less capacity.

Maybe they could use 50-60 thou more freebore than Valk to get same distance to lands? or just really lengthen things and avoid worrying about distance to lands but add more powder?

I bet Hornady optimizes the throat for their bullets, I don’t think the Valk was designed with high bc bullets in mind.

OP
wind gypsy
I bet Hornady optimizes the throat for their bullets, I don’t think the Valk was designed with high bc bullets in mind.
They SAAMI spec'd it with a 7 twist. Their whole marketing shtick is about how it performs at long range. That was the primary differentiating factor from 22 nosler IIRC that it COULD handle the highest bc bullets.
https://www.federalpremium.com/224-valkyrie.html

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, I’m not sure then, I just remember that the 22 Grendel seems to be able to load them out longer, which gave it an advantage

It might become popular for gas guns but that goofy case head size is probably gonna hurt it popularity wise just like the 6.5 Grendel 6 arc and 224 Valkyrie.

OP
wind gypsy

Looks like 2820 FPS listed for factory 22 ARC w/ 88 ELD vs 2675 with factory Valkyrie ELD. Would like to see chamber dimensions to understand how they get that velocity bump without a healthy dose of loading the ARC hotter. Regardless, those are intriguing numbers at AR pressures so a bolt action hand loader would see some really cool #'s. 3075 FPS with a 75 ELD is pretty cool.

Last edited:

z987k

WKR
Cool for a gas gun, but if you're going to do a bolt gun, why not just do 22 creed? Just like 6arc, go 6 creed. Load it down if you want a bit less recoil and match the ARC velocities while having factory rifles/bolts/barrels everywhere.

Who makes 6ARC in a bolt gun? Savage and howa I think are the only 2. I'd imagine those will be the only two for this as well.

OP
wind gypsy
Cool for a gas gun, but if you're going to do a bolt gun, why not just do 22 creed? Just like 6arc, go 6 creed. Load it down if you want a bit less recoil and match the ARC velocities while having factory rifles/bolts/barrels everywhere.

Who makes 6ARC in a bolt gun? Savage and howa I think are the only 2. I'd imagine those will be the only two for this as well.

Because 22 creed is way more overbore. Talking like 34 vs 52 grains of H20 capacity. Not really comparable.

Modest cases tend to be less temperamental, more consistent, and of course there's the barrel life thing.

6 creed makes sense over 6 ARC for the reasons you mention but also because theres a lot more factory ammo options than 6 ARC, it's not as crazy overbore, and 6 arc is just kind of slow. The 22 should easily be in that 3k FPS range with the heavies so more isn't really needed.

I plan on doing most my shooting/hunting with .223/6 creed so for me it wouldn't make sense to get a weird bolt face for one in a bolt gun, but I still think it would be cool.

Last edited:
I think this is more geared towards the gas gun folks.

As they state, 22-250 performance out of an AR-15 platform. Also designed to shoot the new ELD-VT bullet.
Yep, huge ammo market available there and many guys will only have to buy a new barrel to use it. Pretty ideal for all parties.

Bowhunter-tw

Lil-Rokslider
Im considering doing a 22arc bolt gun for predators. Was going to do 223ai with the lighter bullets, 53-70gr. But now thinking 22ARC could be the ticket, shooting those same light predator bullets. Better cartridge design, a little more speed, would suppress the same as 223 since gas volume should be lower than the gt/creed/xc cartridges. If I need long range high speed I shoot the 243

slickyboyboo

Lil-Rokslider

The 22 ARC, appears to be nothing more than a SAAMI version of the 224 Grendel. Handloaded, the 224 Grendel will outpace the Valkyrie by approximately 10% across the board, so around 300 fps with a 75 gr ELD-M. That’s also in an AR platform, in a bolt gun, you could get a little more out of it.

amassi

WKR
I have a spare tikka 223 just laying around
This would be a nice upgrade if I can get a smith to open the bolt face and figure out magazines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk