22 Mag vs 17 HMR....does anyone choose a 22 Mag anymore?

.22 mag for me. My Marlin 25M and my Ruger Single Six. My .22 mags have never let me down. Never even considered a .17 HMR

Buckhead

FNG
I have two .17 HMRs (CZ 452 Varming, Tikka T1x) and one .22 Mag (CZ 452 American). Have used both calibers extensively for hunting and pest control. While I enjoy using the .17 HMR, it definitely doesn't have the anchoring power of the .22 mag when using 35 grain or 40 grain bullets. On predators the 17 grain vmax bullets lack penetration and while 20 grain bullets are better, they still don't match the thump of the .22 mag. The .22 mag has a 100 ft pound energy advantage at the muzzle with superior penetration and expansion.

Attached is a photo of a coyote that I called in and shot with my CZ in .17 HMR. The coyote was hit in the boileroom at about 50 yards. When hit, it did a spin and ran about 75 yards and piled up. No exit, no blood trail, was lucky to recover. Typical result with the HMR, have also lost a couple. Using the .22 mag, they usually drop within sight if a good shot is made.

IMG_0437.jpg

TheGDog

WKR
I'm thinking 17 HMR as a desert small game jack rabbit round to 100-125 yards. Lethal without massive meat damage. Does this sound correct?
Since Jacks tend to hear ya sooner and run farther when they do spook, the .17 HMR would be perfect for Jacks! But I'd still try to do head/front shoulder if ya can.

EDIT: .17 HMR makes Rabbits do awesome backflips when headshot!

Last edited:

Gen273

WKR
.17 HMR for varmints and .22 Mag for small predators. Although, I have killed some song dogs with a .17, I still prefer the heavier bullet of the .22 Mag for them.

For coyotes with the .17HMR use the 20 gr hollow-points....(or even the 17 gr hollow-points). The V-max (plastic tipped) bullets are way to explosive to reliably anchor bigger game than adult prairie dogs (or rabbits). That said the HMR is not an optimum round for coyotes.

The 17 gr V-max is great for small varmints in that it is not prone to ricochets like the hollow-point ammo, or especially the .22 LR is.

Haven't looked recently with some updated ammo for the .17HMR and .22 Magnum, but 20 years ago, the HMR had less wind drift with available ammo than the .22 Magnum. But on windy days, the rimfires were best put away and the .223 or .204's brought out for prairie dogs.
The .17 seems like it might be my next Amal animal rifle. Shot some crows with the .22LR and never seems to make it through the feathers.

I have killed boatloads of jack rabbits and rockchucks with the 17 hmr. If I need more I pull out my 223.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot probably 10k rounds of 17 HMR at ground squirrels all the way up to badgers and rock chucks. For squirrels out to 200 yards, it's better than a 22 Mag but definitely under gunned when shooting anything bigger. I wish a company like lapua would get in to the 22 Mag game and make some better ammo.

Reactions: BLJ

TheGDog

WKR
The .17 seems like it might be my next Amal animal rifle. Shot some crows with the .22LR and never seems to make it through the feathers.
Crow Feathers on the Wing are TOUGH! Whenever I've popped 'em with .22 AirRifle that gets like around 950fps w 16gr like PolyMags or Terminators... I've had instances where the pellet didn't penetrate if the path was trying to go thru the wing. Same for some Quail, at times.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted lots of small game with 22lr, 22 mag and 17 wsm. I have not taken anything bigger than a possum with the 22 mag yet but its by far my favorite for small game hunting in general because it seems to have enough thump to take crows and bigger stuff like raccoons but doesn’t seem like overkill for squirrels like the 17 wsm. The rifle in the pics is a cz 457 I acquired about a month ago and before that I had a browning t bolt but I sold it because I didn’t really like the feel of it was not getting good accuracy out of it.

The pic is a 5 shot group from 50yds using 30 gr hornady vmax

Attachments

• IMG_2672.jpeg
    IMG_2672.jpeg
    270.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2673.jpeg
    IMG_2673.jpeg
    74.5 KB · Views: 15

Rich M

WKR
Just an old fart here - never saw a reason to get a 17. The bullets are neat looking tho.

Been shooting 22 short/long & mag since I was a kid.

If I was just getting into shooting, would consider it.

Coyotes and badgers don't seem to die easily with the 17 no matter where I hit them. Inside of 50 yards the 22 magnum will do it. Beyond that, neither are a good option.
For ground squirrels, both are fun.

204_ruger

FNG
I bought a ruger american 17 hmr rifle. Put a new Hawke Vantage 4x12x40AO IR 17 hmr scope on it. Bought 16 boxes of ammo. Thought i would shoot it all the time. Haven't even put a box thru it. Just setting there. I Always grap my 22 mag. When i go predator hunting. I am trying call a bobcat in. And i have my 22 mag. Killed several armadillos with the 17 hmr.