.223 75gr eldm varget

Hey guys,

Anyone using 75 gr eldm and varget in a bolt gun?

If so would ya mind sharing load info and components (brass and primer). Thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zackw

Lil-Rokslider
I was trying to work up a load with that combo. Settled on 25.0gr varget at 1.905” cbto. Getting 2910fps in a 22” tikka. Accuracy never came close to berger 80gr vld’s so I gave up.

FLS

WKR
Tikka CTR 24* 1-8 twist
Lapua brass
BR4 primer
2.415”
23.5 8208 XBR
24.5 Varget
24.0 H4895
All of these loads shoot sub MOA 10 round groups out of my rifle. I had to play with seating depth to get the ELDM to shoot well. SMKs are alot easier to tune.

Last edited:

ljalberta

WKR
Tikka .223
Lapua Brass
Cci 450
24.1gr Varget
75 ELD M

I’m loading .02” off the lands and get a little over 2800fps. Could load to 24.5 or 25gr in my rifle if I wanted.

Shoots great.

On a SAAMI chamber, about as much varget as I can get in the case without being too compressed. 24.5 is pretty good usually. A wylde or longer throat would help. 4895 or xbr is a nice alternative because it’s not so compressed.

OP
FrankieP1988
Thanks guys, would love to get my hands on some berger 73 or 77 gr if I can find em. Going to try out these eldm's for now. Thanks for the help!

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Max I've shot is 25.2 Varget with lapua brass, federal 205m, 1.905" cbto, 2840fps.

H4895 is faster and more accurate for me.

Lawnboi

WKR
In a Saami chamber I don’t think you’re going to be able to make dangerous pressure.

I was so compressed it was effecting my seating depth by the time I stopped.

Personally I don’t see varget as a viable option unless you have a wylde or longer. Unless your okay with 100fps less than xbr/benchmark and are okay with dealing with compressed powder, which isn’t a problem in itself but can be a pain in the ass at the load bench

OP
FrankieP1988
In a Saami chamber I don’t think you’re going to be able to make dangerous pressure.

I was so compressed it was effecting my seating depth by the time I stopped.

Personally I don’t see varget as a viable option unless you have a wylde or longer. Unless your okay with 100fps less than xbr/benchmark and are okay with dealing with compressed powder, which isn’t a problem in itself but can be a pain in the ass at the load bench

I guess im not married to the eldm or varget. It was just what was available recently. This is my first venture into reloading so just trying to get my processes down, though having an accurate and consistent load would be a big plus!

Odd1out

FNG
Ive had good results with 73gr eldm and win staball match.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I guess im not married to the eldm or varget. It was just what was available recently. This is my first venture into reloading so just trying to get my processes down, though having an accurate and consistent load would be a big plus!

What rifle/chamber?

Varget is a nice powder to start with, I’d just not expect great velocity unless you can load them long.

FLS

WKR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
If your rifle has a 1-8 twist or faster I would shoot a 77 grain SMK. I would pick a proven available powder. It doesnt matter how good a powder or projectile is if you cant get them when you want or need them. The SMKs are easy to tune and pretty much always available. Same for the Hornady 75 HPBT.
Right now TAC powder is available. It works really well with either bullet.
Varget is available, and it works well with both.
Shooters world Match Rifle is available and it works well with both.

A 77 SMK over 24- 24.5 grains of TAC loaded to 2.50-2.60 is a proven load that has shot well out of every fast twist .223 I’ve owned. It’s a very popular load for a reason.

FWIW, If you’re able to find some 8208 or H4895, I’d buy all I could get my hands on.

OP
FrankieP1988
1 just ordered 1000 77 gr smk, so I'll probably swap over to those instead of messing with the eldm, I'll check this weekend locally to see what powders are available

OP
FrankieP1988
1 just ordered 1000 77 gr smk, so I'll probably swap over to those instead of messing with the eldm, I'll check this weekend locally to see what powders are available

Guess they were sold out, my order was canceled. Anyone try 80 gr smk out of a 223?