.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Fatcamp

WKR
As said above midway has Redding. What do you have for a rifle? Mag space will help with those bullets.

Over in SD I’d think a guy needs a 223 and a couple hundred rounds on hand all the time. Pretty year round target rich environment out there.

Oh, I have a pile of stuff sitting around. Trying to put a rifle together for my younger kids to shoot deer with.

I have a Stevens 200 in .223 with 1:8 barrel. Very accurate and should stabilize those 77gr well.

TauPhi111

WKR
What are you guys shooting mostly? ARs or bolt guns? I had another thread asking about using tipped bullets in an AR that asked whether the tips sustained damage riding up the feed ramp in an AR that would cause them to break or or distort to where they effect BC and accuracy. Is that something that happens or just a unfounded worry?

robtattoo

WKR
I shoot tipped bullets out of both my ARs, all the time. Various different makes & flavors & I've never even considered it before. I can't imagine it'd be an issue in the slightest.

ElPollo

WKR
What are you guys shooting mostly? ARs or bolt guns? I had another thread asking about using tipped bullets in an AR that asked whether the tips sustained damage riding up the feed ramp in an AR that would cause them to break or or distort to where they effect BC and accuracy. Is that something that happens or just a unfounded worry?
Only if your feed ramps were bubba-ed up by a monkey on meth with a Dremel. Otherwise, tipped ammo should feed fine. Your biggest issue should be making sure you have a 1-8" or faster twist to stabilize the heavy bullets.

TauPhi111

WKR
I don't let any meth monkeys get anywhere near my guns. And yeah I got the 1:7. I'm all about that fast twist life. Just ordered me some 62 grain Barnes TTSX on Midway...yes they have em so go snatch em up.

LimeSpoon

FNG
Out of spec feed ramps or parts can cause issues with tipped bullets; if the bullet is impacting at an excessively steep angle and/or there's not enough space in the barrel extension cutouts you can see problems. If your rounds are feeding at the appropriate height into correctly shaped ramps then I doubt you'll have trouble

TSX and tough bonded bullets obviously can work, but heavy fragmenting expanders are simply going to produce broader wounding at comparable case pressures due to the way fragmentation works synergistically with the temporary stretch cavity. Truth be told I share in Form's frustrations in regards to the advocacy of less devastating rounds within the firearms community but I think it's also been evidenced aplenty that deer are not as immune to .223 as many people think, whether that be 77 gr TMK or 62 gr TTSX...if you can make excellent shots I don't think you'll be wasting tags but frankly, I am not the authority on that subject anyway.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
I need to book mark this thread. I got everything but projectiles a while ago because I was indecisive, now I've have some good material to browse

Edit-Roughly 6-1/2 hours later-
I guess TMKs are the route for 223, thanks all who have contributed its pretty incredible. I almost went TSXs and I'm happy I read this first. It seems 223 really can hold it own if you know what to expect and what your skill level is.

Now we need the 270 guys to rally like this since I have one I want to load for 😂

Last edited:
I've tested several different bullets in my 223 rifles. I've settled on the 62gr Gold Dot as my go to deer bullets. Great terminal performance on around 25 deer very much like the wound damage I see with the 77gr TMK. Great penetration and massive tissue damage being normative..

I don't see myself switching to the 77gr TMK bullets because I can't imagine needing more than what the Gold Dots produce.. I have killed deer from 230 yrds to 10yrds with boring consistency of performance..

BTW all reloads over CCI 450 primers LC brass and AA 2520 powder..

RedRidge

WKR
I have a version of the hobbit rifle in the works setup for the TMKs. Have a couple hundred to load. I will post the finished product once the barrel arrives.

fshaw

WKR
So I've read 30 pages and still have 7 to go. Great thread, thanks for keeping it going. I just bought a 223 Montana that is a 9 twist. Will it stabilize the 77TMK and if not what's my next best bet for soft tissue destruction balanced with penetration? Hunting close range whitetails, typically well under 100yds.

Thanks.

Frank

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
So I've read 30 pages and still have 7 to go. Great thread, thanks for keeping it going. I just bought a 223 Montand that is a 9 twist. Will it stabilize the 77TMK and if not what's my next best bet for soft tissue destruction balanced with penetration? Hunting close range whitetails, typically well under 100yds.

Thanks.

Frank
I've mentioned it previously in the thread, but i'm shooting a 1:9 twist Savage & I haven't noticed any instability issues inside of 300yds. My group opens up beyond its typical cone at 500, but I don't have a 400yd berm to see exactly when that occurs. All I can CONFIDENTLY say is that at 300 & in, it's a non issue.

I've had a lot of luck in the past, with simple 65gn Gamekings on deer & smaller hogs, all inside or very close to, 100yds

Last edited:

fshaw

WKR
I hunt in the Adirondack forest so if it'll stabilize out to 200 yards that would be more than enough.

Thanks.

Frank

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I'll just add that in my experience, Barnes, or any monometal need higher velocity to be effective. Much off on velocity and the wound is narrow. Deep though.

In my slower twist barrels the 64gr Winchester PP works well, but think you'll get about the same out of Nosler bonded, or Speer gold dot in the same weight.

Hey man I'm all for it when you compare a .223 to a stick bow or a compound and a pile of adrenaline....