.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Hello, I am a new member from AR. I saw a link for this thread on the fire, I have been a member of LRH and other forums for years, been shooting and hunting for a long time but never too late to learn. I have shot some of these but not on game. I would have suspected that they would be a bomb and not offer sufficient penetration. Real results here indicate otherwise.
With this info, I don't see why this bullet couldn't be used as a do it all bullet, it appears you have plenty of expansion for Varmints too and it is a good target bullet. One load for my 5.56's would be nice.
Granted the bullets cost more than most Varmint bullets but with the cheap "if you already have it" brass and modest powder charge I don't mind a few more cents per bullet.
Always there are some who would offer their "facts" based on no personal experience but I appreciate the experience based info & pics, after all, if we can't glean info from actual experience that is shared on these forums then why read them.
Thanks and I look forward to future exchanges.

tuk

FNG
I think .223 is sufficient for at least deer. But not legal in to hunt game in washington.

Juan_ID

WKR
Anyone have a box or 2 of 77gr tmk (projectiles) they’d entertain selling?? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Very interesting thread and most of it was worth the time it took to read 39 pages.

I like what I use and probably am not going to change myself, but the information is well worth it.

This thread hasn't changed my opinion of the .223, however it has expanded it. I already know many that use it successfully for deer. Bear and moose - holy crap, I'd of never considered it.

I also would have never thought a match bullet would perform so well on game.

If I have one thought throughout the thread it has been along the lines of too much damage. Some of the pictures show a lot of ruined meat. Not saying this as a fault, just an observation. Using something with this type of performance for game animals requires some careful shot placement.

Kudos to those that chose to do the work to try this out and have the discipline to do it responsibly. Thanks for sharing.

Glad to see the resources are available for the 223 to join the hunt.

cod0396

FNG
In addition to the 64gr BSB, does anyone know how the 55gr or 62gr TBBC performs on game? Both the TBBC and the 64gr BSB are highly recommended defensive loads for .223/5.56, but I’m thinking they give up some terminal performance compared to softer bonded soft points like gold dot fusion, and especially compared to a bullet like the 77gr TMK.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I agree, after seeing in this thread what the 77TMK is capable of I think it will try to work up an all round load for it. If I hunt something that I feel may need a "tougher " bullet, I will use one of my bigger rifles.

Honyock

WKR
So after reading this thread and becoming educated on the killing power of the 223 and the 77gr TMK, I have a question. Not picking a side or looking for an argument (there's already 20 pages of that). If you had saved for years to hunt true record book elk on the White Mountain Apache Reservation would you take a 223 and use the 77 gr TMK?

So after reading this thread and becoming educated on the killing power of the 223 and the 77gr TMK, I have a question. Not picking a side or looking for an argument (there's already 20 pages of that). If you had saved for years to hunt true record book elk on the White Mountain Apache Reservation would you take a 223 and use the 77 gr TMK?

I don’t recall many examples of people using this combo for elk in this thread. I wouldn’t use a 77 TMK for elk on any elk tag because I have other guns that are more appropriate.

BAKPAKR

WKR
OP’s wife used them on her once-in-a-lifetime Idaho bull moose. I, however, would probably use something bigger on moose or on White Mountain elk since my ability to wait for a good broadside shot is sometimes lacking.