.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

"A mild cartridge like a .243 is night and days difference from a .223, regardless of bullet selection."

This is what is incorrect. His whole post/argument/view is based on that and as such is invalid because IT IS NOT TRUE. Bullets of the same make such as the TMK for example will exhibit more damage to a varying degree as you move up in cartridge. A smaller caliber with a rapidly expanding bullet will exhibit larger wounds than a larger caliber with mono bullets. I used the .223 TMK because that is what this thread is about but I have other examples of .243/6.5 creed exhibiting more damage than 30/06/300WM. There's a video on YouTube where a guy compares ballistic gelatin from a .50bmg to a 6creed. 6 creed had a significantly larger wound. How you ask....... Because he used a rapidly expanding bullet in the creed and a fmj in the bmg.......Bullets matter more than head stamps.
I agree whole heartedly with your premise... just look at my other posts... yes, bullet construction matters more than headstamps...

however all I was getting at is that this other guys post did not say he was comparing small caliber expanding bullets to larger caliber monos... maybe that is exactly what he WAS observing... as you put it "Bullets of the same make such as the TMK for example will exhibit more damage to a varying degree as you move up in cartridge."

Thank you for the thought but the bolt face is different.

Randy
Gunsmith I talked to last week about this subject, said it's no problem modifying those bolt faces. He was referring to going up in size, not down... so I don't know if there is an issue there.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gunsmith I talked to last week about this subject, said it's no problem modifying those bolt faces. He was referring to going up in size, not down... so I don't know if there is an issue there.
He is correct that enlarging a bolt face will work but going down is not possible.
One of these days, one will pop up.

Randy

Shraggs

WKR
"A mild cartridge like a .243 is night and days difference from a .223, regardless of bullet selection."

This is what is incorrect. His whole post/argument/view is based on that and as such is invalid because IT IS NOT TRUE. Bullets of the same make such as the TMK for example will exhibit more damage to a varying degree as you move up in cartridge. A smaller caliber with a rapidly expanding bullet will exhibit larger wounds than a larger caliber with mono bullets. I used the .223 TMK because that is what this thread is about but I have other examples of .243/6.5 creed exhibiting more damage than 30/06/300WM. There's a video on YouTube where a guy compares ballistic gelatin from a .50bmg to a 6creed. 6 creed had a significantly larger wound. How you ask....... Because he used a rapidly expanding bullet in the creed and a fmj in the bmg.......Bullets matter more than head stamps.

Good point, and if the handful of guys at this late stage want pot stir with dismissive opinion without reading or facts they would have read comments from members who have killed with 300 wm and tmk at mid ranges and their details…

This^^^^^. I've shot more rounds through my .223 in the last month in meaningful practice than I put through my .30-06 in the last 6 months. The improvement in my shooting has been eye opening and I'm only getting started. Quit bickering and go shooting instead☺
Yeah, I had to take a break from this thread for a bit this evening... I wanted to see what reading my labradar would give me at 10 degrees F with factory 73elds... 2.3mils elevation adjustment on the scope was on the money! Put three rounds into a 3 inch disc at my 400 yard target behind my house. 2695, 2705, 2710fps with the factory 1/8 t3 barrel. I dare those coyotes to come by again tomorrow!

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I had to take a break from this thread for a bit this evening... I wanted to see what reading my labradar would give me at 10 degrees F with factory 73elds... 2.3mils elevation adjustment on the scope was on the money! Put three rounds into a 3 inch disc at my 400 yard target behind my house. 2695, 2705, 2710fps with the factory 1/8 t3 barrel. I dare those coyotes to come by again tomorrow!
Lol. Everything is always better after some trigger time.... I wish I could shoot out my back door!

Lol. Everything is always better after some trigger time.... I wish I could shoot out my back door!
Yeah, I never realized what I had until just an hour ago... when pnwgator taught me that I should be out there training my kids to be riflemen... mind blown! 🤣

I agree whole heartedly with your premise... just look at my other posts... yes, bullet construction matters more than headstamps...

however all I was getting at is that this other guys post did not say he was comparing small caliber expanding bullets to larger caliber monos... maybe that is exactly what he WAS observing... as you put it "Bullets of the same make such as the TMK for example will exhibit more damage to a varying degree as you move up in cartridge."
Do you think you'd be able to tell the difference in a heart hit with a 77 grain 223 TMK and a 130 grain 6.5 TMK at the same velocity?

Do you think you'd be able to tell the difference in a heart hit with a 77 grain 223 TMK and a 130 grain 6.5 TMK at the same velocity?
Would be interesting to see wouldn't it. Side by side gel tests of 69tmk, 77tmk, 130tmk, 168tmk, 195tmk. Maybe a test of each at various impact velocities, scale up from 1500fps to 3000fps or something like that.

just looking for a tikka 223?
Speaking of alternatives to the tikka 223... has anyone tried or had success with one of the kel tec bulpups? Like the rdb survival? 1/7 twist... wonder how a heavier bullet might do. Super compact package if it was accurate enough. Wonder how quiet it would be suppressed with the action so close to your face though...

Rooggvc

WKR
Keep in mind that Form also recommends the 75 gr ELDM as a good killer.

That‘s the bullet my stainless T3 Varmint likes.

I think it’s widely available.

P
Are you using the 75 ELDM in a .223? If so do they fit in the standard Tikka Magazine?