.223 for bear, deer, elk and moose.

Took my new Tikka compact 223 out to the range on Sunday. I was pretty impressed. Shot some Priv 75 gr to start, them some IMI 77 5.56 and finally some Black Hills 77 tmk. Shot steel, 200 yards to start then out to 400.
Even connected first shot at 900yards with the IMI. Of course the target is huge, 4ftx4ft but I was pleased. Rifle seems pretty accurate, old man running it is a bit suspect 🤣. But my main goal is getting my shooting back to where it was 15 years ago when I shot a lot.

What are you using to film?
The vid was taken using an Arken Zulus day/night 'scope.

The vid was taken using an Arken Zulus day/night 'scope.
… but does it pass the drop test?

Haha. I doubt any/many commercial NV or thermals scopes do. Much like aiming lasers, daily/multiple daily zero confirmations need to happen.
To the contrary. The thermals that we use for commercial culling hardly ever need to be touched. No erectors or mechanics to move or upset apart from the quite rugged mounts. This Zulus (not a thermal) has been put to the test in various harsh hunting conditions and come through just fine. Bumps around in the truck and on a quad just like your 'scopes do. Has now shot 9 deer and never been re-zeroed.

Here's a screen shot of the moment of impact. You can see the upset in the skin and hair. A little higher than appears in the vid and exactly where I wanted. It was down hill and shredded the off side lobe of the lung.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 8.41.42 AM.jpeg

Last edited:
Finally got through the whole thread, and man...what a wealth of info, evidence, and knowledge!

My thread experience went a little like this:
-pages about 1-20 or so I was pretty skeptical...but was open minded, still thinking I'd never even consider shooting anything bigger than a coyote with a 223 (only have ARs in 223/556, no bolts) but found myself amazed at the evidence, nevertheless. It was like a good book or movie, I just couldn't stop once I got started.
- somewhere in the middle where there was A LOT of reloading data, I found myself wanting (I mean NEEDING) to finally dive into reloading. A little after this, I think I talked with Form a bit and now have a list of reloading supplies to buy now that I will be home for a while.
- At about page 200 I was basically sold, I purchased 200 rounds of BH TMK loaded ammo from creedmoor sports
- I am now through the thread, and what do you know! I have a Tikka arriving next week and have started the suppressor search.

Note to anyone just starting the thread...just buy all the things now, then start reading...you'll end up with all of it by the end of the thread anyway. Except by the end, you'll be ready to go, and wont have to anxiously wait for everything to arrive like me.

Seriously though, what a wealth of info here and I'm excited to read through it again.

Note to anyone just starting the thread...just buy all the things now, then start reading...you'll end up with all of it by the end of the thread anyway. Except by the end, you'll be ready to go, and wont have to anxiously wait for everything to arrive like me.

Seriously though, what a wealth of info here and I'm excited to read through it again.

Good for you. I think everyone needs a bolt 223 even if you don't/can't use it for hunting for cheap trigger time. Preferably set up exactly as your primary.

I do not yet, but I currently hunt in a bow, shotgun, muzzleloader area. I could take a CF rifle to state land or find a lease/ willing landowner, but I can be door to in stand in about 30 minutes so haven't.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stu
I read plenty. Good thing for me I have been apart of atleast 200 big game kills in my life. Elk, Barbary sheep, Bear, Oryx, Deer. Antelope, Ibex. I’ve been to Alaska hunting. I already know what I need to know. I shoot a 338 ultra 250 Berger. Instant death. 9lb rifle. Probably the least lethal kill I have ever personally had was from a 6.5-284 Norma 140gr AB. Had to shoot a 180” muley twice at 150 yards 🤦‍♂️ Go book a hunt in Alaska and tell your guide your bringing a .223 🤣
WHEN you get around to reading this thread (because its obvious that you have not....🙄), you'll see that the OP is trying to get to AK to take a bear with the .223.

For new here you seem remarkably aggressive ???

it’s a shame you see no value in reading - it is possible you may discover something new.

Personally killed 150+ deer, not sure how many additional I’ve been a part of. I definitely was in the magnum camp, my 500 nitro express +p rcm magnum shooting 1000 grain bonded partion/tsx/ devastate anything. Been hunting long time… at my age, one time I dropped a T-Rex, DRT too with complete pass thru. Real assuring if I had to track him.

All kidding aside, these days I’ll take 4 lbs of recoil death ray in most situations.

I read plenty. Good thing for me I have been apart of atleast 200 big game kills in my life. Elk, Barbary sheep, Bear, Oryx, Deer. Antelope, Ibex. I’ve been to Alaska hunting. I already know what I need to know. I shoot a 338 ultra 250 Berger. Instant death. 9lb rifle. Probably the least lethal kill I have ever personally had was from a 6.5-284 Norma 140gr AB. Had to shoot a 180” muley twice at 150 yards 🤦‍♂️ Go book a hunt in Alaska and tell your guide your bringing a .223 🤣
Troll or are you being serious?

Back