.22LR Rifle Recommendation

I'm starting to do some research for a .22LR Rifle Purchase. Looking for recommendations of makes/models.

I'd like
  • Wood stock
  • Heavy barrel
  • Sights in case a scope is bumped
LMK if you have a model that you love.

thanks
David

Choupique

WKR
A buddy of mine has a cz 457 that is incredibly nice and shoots great. It's a really fine rifle and I want one.

OP
D
A buddy of mine has a cz 457 that is incredibly nice and shoots great. It's a really fine rifle and I want one.
I've bookmarked the American and Varmint. List is bit high at ~600.
I've also look at the Savage MARK II FV-SR with comes in around $300.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the Savage, it’s a nice shooter. Had a bit of extraction issues at first, but it is broke in.

Choupique

WKR
List is bit high at ~600.

I think he found his for close to $500.

Ruger american rimfire also gets great reviews and is sold with a wood stock. I have one in 22 mag with the plastic stock. It's alright for the price point.

If savage has quit using their stupid junky sheet metal mags that poke out the bottom, I'd get another one of those. I had one and it was a laser beam but the mag dug into my back and didn't feed well.

I have a 2 457s and a bunch of accessories to go with them. They have been very solid.

I have a 20" .22lr threaded barrel on one with a walnut stock for backyard use. And i keep a 20" threaded .22wmr or .17hmr barrel on the second rifle that wears a symthetic stock.

I have the scout wood stock and 16" threaded barrel with sights, which is designed for kids, as well. The rifles are very versatile, 2 screws to remove the stock, 2 more to remove the barrel and you can slide in another caliber. You will have to re-zero but it is usually within an an inch or 2.

I bought the first one and started collecting the barrels for it. Then bought a second scout when it was on sale for $350. These rifles are very popular with the precision group and you can usually find them selling the factory stocks / barrels on different forums.

Another vote for a CZ. I have a 452 trainer and 457 scout, and honestly if I absolutely had to get rid of all of my guns but 1 for whatever reason I would keep one of those.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
CZs are well worth the coin, mines a 455 American that is very slick to operate.

I preferred the look and feel of the American stock and sporter barrel, I have a Rem 700 front sight and Williams peep I'm going to have fitted sometime just to complete the package.20230904_175954.jpg

Hnthrdr

WKR
Have that model in 17 hmr, mine does not have irons, I think I got mine for 230 on sale, the bolt was trash so I put some polishing compound on the contact points and cycled it about 2k times… much better now! Super fun little rifle especially suppressed

OP
D
I have a 2 457s and a bunch of accessories to go with them. They have been very solid.

I have a 20" .22lr threaded barrel on one with a walnut stock for backyard use. And i keep a 20" threaded .22wmr or .17hmr barrel on the second rifle that wears a symthetic stock.

I have the scout wood stock and 16" threaded barrel with sights, which is designed for kids, as well. The rifles are very versatile, 2 screws to remove the stock, 2 more to remove the barrel and you can slide in another caliber. You will have to re-zero but it is usually within an an inch or 2.

I bought the first one and started collecting the barrels for it. Then bought a second scout when it was on sale for $350. These rifles are very popular with the precision group and you can usually find them selling the factory stocks / barrels on different forums.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful

OP
D
Not a heavy barrel, but elegant.

View attachment 636091

Browning A Bolt .22 LR. Probably out of your price range.

P
I have a Browning Citori Lightening O/U. Love the finishes on the Brownings. Spending more for a Browning .22 would mean that I would have to prioritize other purchases. I'm looking for a .22 Rifle, a ~.243.270 Rifle, a 9mm wheel gun, and finally a new to me 12 gauge semi-auto. And a .223 Colt. Please don't show this list to my wife :)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m looking to get one of the CZ precision trainers with the manners carbon fiber stock.

I’ll use the area 419 rail with one of my SWFA 6x scopes and my dead air mask 22.