Lefty 22lr bolt action

mitchparker1980

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
Looking to pick up a 22lr bolt action.

This rifle will primarily be used for range work. (I love hunting with my Henry 22lr)

Between these three choices, which one would you recommend and why?
  1. CZ 457 (probably leaning Varmint - but maybe American)
  2. Tikka T1x
  3. Bergera B-14
Thanks in advance.
-M

Dunky

WKR
have no experience with 1 and 3, but have a T1X and would say the pros are similar set up and ergos as my other rifles ( if you own any other tikkas) and accessories are pretty easy to find.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i have the 16" T1x. Maybe 300 rounds through it. Very nice, utilitarian. Stupid fun w a can shooting subsonics. Plenty accurate to practice at 100 yards. Bolt is a bit stiff on cocking. Sometimes the magazines and I don't agree on how things should work. But more than satisfied with the T1x. Great Tikka trigger, stock same as my other Tikkas. Fun to shoot steel at 100 offhand.

Set up a CZ 457 American for my dad. Very smooth. Very nice looking rifle. Very accurate. Very looong barrel (24.8" is longer than my 7 mags....!). Only cons for me would be not threaded and just too nice of a gun on the American model. The LH Varmint looks pretty nice and a shorter thicker barrel would probably work well. Too bad it's not threaded.

Haven't played with the bergara but they're noted for their barrels and no one has returned to our shop to complain their bergara didn't shoot well. Comes threaded and with both 5 and 10 round mags.

Couldn't go wrong with any of these really. Depends on if you own a rimfire can and want a threaded barrel. And/or what's in stock and at the best price....

Encore4me

FNG
Vudoo Gun Works if you can afford it. I would love to have one but out of my price range. I have a Kidd, not a bolt but very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvDog

FNG
I bought my son a 457 Varmint and put it in an XLR Element 3.0. Put on an Area 419 30 MOA Rail and mounted a good scope. Swapped out the trigger spring for less than $10 and it's a shooter. The best part is that it's not too picky about ammo either. It shoots all SV ammo well. Of course some ammo shoots better than others, but it's all still pretty good.

It's a righty. I liked it so much I wanted one for myself but at the time they didn't have any lefties anywhere.

I decided to pick up a RH Tikka T1x to play with. I put it in an XLR Element, added and Area 419 Rail, and swapped it's trigger spring too. It was an identical setup to the 457. It just wasn't as nice a shooter. Bolt was not as smooth and I didn't like the slimmer contour barrel. It was good with ammo too. Not too picky. Shot regular SV well. Almost held it's own against the CZ, but wasn't as good all around.

So I sold the Tikka and was on a waiting list for a LH steel barreled B14R. I just wanted the barreled action since I knew I would drop it in chassis and upgrade the trigger anyway. I was on that waiting list for a year.

I got tired of waiting so I ordered a LH Vudoo 360. Wow. Talk about a nice rifle. Everything about it is nice. I especially like the AICS sized mags. Much easier for my to manipulate vs the CZ Mags.

All that said, the last time we hit the range with my KYL target and other challenge targets, my son beat me. First time he's ever out shot me.

The big reason was that I was trying out some new ammo in my Vudoo. It's much pickier about ammo, and it didn't like the SK Long Range that I tried that day.

But between the 3 you listed. I've had 2 of them and I'd say CZ over the Tikka.

And I'd go with the Varmint barrel too.

Billdoe

FNG
I have a cz 452. Local Smith chopped a couple inches from it and threaded for my can. Cci standard and a calm day 200 yards is pretty fun. Upgraded trigger, firing pin spring too

I have a CZ 457 varmint and really enjoy it. The texturing on stock is a little more aggressive than I care for, but otherwise, it's great. I'm getting the barrel threaded for a 22 suppressor now.