243 to 6 Creedmoor - Would you make the switch?

I'm looking to get a new fast twist 6mm barrel, or possibly a new rifle altogether, so it's decision time. Stick with the 243, or move over to the 6 Creed?
If you were already set up to reload for 243 and mag constraints were not a problem, what would you do and why?

VernAK

WKR
I did and I'm very pleased with my decision and now have 3 6CMs. I have worn out two 243s and I liked them but the 6CM seems much friendlier to load for. It's hard to describe but I haven't had issues with developing loads or dealing with excessive pressure.

KineKilla

WKR
I would not. Both shoot 6mm bullets albeit the CM shoots them faster.

Money could go towards a rifle providing significant differences rather than one only slightly different....IMO

Honestly I’d go with the 6cm. Unless you want to slum factory fodder that’s fairly average, then go with 243. Trip ur dies and brass

buy a case of Berger ammunition for 280$ to your door.

lapua brass over winny brass. By a lot.

Rich M

WKR
@16Bore had suggested looking at a 6 CM in another post and I did. The 6 CM shoots slightly heavier but newer design bullets and then they hold the velocity and ballistics better. .243 shoots lighter bullets and old design 100 gr bullets that tend to shed velocity "faster". The cutoff point is about 500 yards.

Same as with most other CM stuff, if you are gonna shoot over 500 yards, then there is a bigger difference. That's where they shine.

So - there it is.

handwerk

WKR
I just went through this when I picked up a new 8 twist SS barrel for my M70 .243 fwt, I'd have gone with the 6 CM but I was all set up with .243 dies and brass so I stuck with the old .243, it's loving the barnes 95g LRX's so I'm content.

OP
F
It seems that the shoulder angle and neck length cause premature throat erosion with the .243. I'd go to the CM.

I know the 243 isn't exactly a barrel friendly round, but can I realistically expect longer life given same powders/bullets with a 6CM? How much longer approximately?

I just went through this when I picked up a new 8 twist SS barrel for my M70 .243 fwt, I'd have gone with the 6 CM but I was all set up with .243 dies and brass so I stuck with the old .243, it's loving the barnes 95g LRX's so I'm content.

I'm looking at that LRX since I really have no choice but to use mono's here in CA. Are you running hand loads or factory?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I would get 243 AI and keep using the brass I had. Laupua makes 243 brass as well. I pretty confident I will never have anything in my safe that has Creedmoor stamped on it :D

Chipz

FNG
@16Bore had suggested looking at a 6 CM in another post and I did. The 6 CM shoots slightly heavier but newer design bullets and then they hold the velocity and ballistics better. .243 shoots lighter bullets and old design 100 gr bullets that tend to shed velocity "faster". The cutoff point is about 500 yards.

Same as with most other CM stuff, if you are gonna shoot over 500 yards, then there is a bigger difference. That's where they shine.

So - there it is.
If he's reloading then none of that matters, they shoot the same bullets. Most factory .243 barrels are the slow twist but he stated he is getting a fast twist anyway. The only question he needs to specify is if he cares about barrel life and speed or not, which is pretty marginal between the two, but the .243 will edge it out in velocity. Probably get better case life from the 6 Creed, but thats about it.

OP
F
I would get 243 AI and keep using the brass I had. Laupua makes 243 brass as well. I pretty confident I will never have anything in my safe that has Creedmoor stamped on it :D

Dang it Steve! I'm trying to avoid buying new dies here so I can buy more components and here you are tempting me with velocity and avoidance of being told I have a man-bun. :eek: Unless I'm mistaken and I can somehow use my existing dies on an AI. Then there's also the question around feeding issues with an AI. I've never had one, but the internet tells me they often don't feed for shiz.

....... The only question he needs to specify is if he cares about barrel life and speed or not, which is pretty marginal between the two, but the .243 will edge it out in velocity. Probably get better case life from the 6 Creed, but thats about it.

Well of course I wan't both! Ha! Honestly I'm not worried about barrel life too much, unless you had told me I can get substantially more life from the 6 Creed. Which you didn't.

Anyone else with experience that can speak to barrel and case life differences?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Hah, don’t forget all the money you will save on flat brims as well. For starters you can shoot all your standard 243 and fire form the cases. Then it is neck sizing from them on. Feeding? What action?

OP
F
Are you saying I can neck size the fire formed AI cases with my standard 243 dies? I do not have bushing dies if that makes a difference.

If I was to go 243ai it would be on a centerfeed Savage action. The AI is good for what, an extra 200fps?

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I have absolutely loved 243win for over 25 years. I spent thousands of dollars blowing out AI’s in custom fast twist barrels over that time. I bought my first 6 creed 3 years ago, and I wouldn’t go back. The 6 creed is all of the good things the 243win can be, but in turnkey options. If you’re wondering where your next mortgage payment will come from, then I wouldn’t take off a good barrel to convert, but if you’re spending new barrel money anyway, I would switch (and did).

Rich M

WKR
So, 6 CM will stabilize the 85- 100 grain pills of yesterday as well as the newer longer bullets?

Got my attention here.