25-06 Effective Range

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
A old Texas Hunting Guide friend once told me that he considered the 25/06 to be the most perfect cartridge ever devised for deer hunting. I can already feel the hackles rising, but since this particular guide has presided over the demise of more than a thousand deer, I had a strong feeling that he knew what he was talking about. Being a handgun hunter, I opted for the Thompson Center Pro-Hunter with a Burris 3 x 12 scope, and have not been disappointed. I prefer a little heavier bullet, and have used Nosler 115 gr. Ballistic Tips with complete satisfaction. Even though I am shooting a 16" barrel, velocities are exceeding 2800 fps. This fall, I will be using the Nosler 100 gr. E-Tip in honor of California's no-lead requirement.

2017-NT Blacktail.JPGPC170001.JPG

Wrench

WKR
I’ve carried a 25-06 for many years, I had mine set up for the 100 g triple shock Barnes. Awesome set up. 3308 FPS.
I hunted Texas for hogs (well over 50 hogs)
Colorado with over (18 deer)
Wyoming and utah(5 pronghorn)
Canada (2 bear)
That being said, most anything over 450 is a gamble.
The energy really starts to drop off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 257 Roy shot that bullet at about 3450. I passed through a Roosevelt elk and it fell like it got hit by lightning.

I'd have zero concern at 500 on a deer. I'd go half again before I broke a sweat with a easier to erupt bullet.

saltfork

Lil-Rokslider
I've used a 25-06 quite a bit off and on over the last 20 years or so, taking maybe 2 dozen whitetails, a couple mule deer, a blackbuck antelope and numerous hogs. I would have no problem using it to 300-400 yards on mule deer. Lots of good bullets out there. I settled on the 117gr Sierra PH, as it shoots really well in my rifle, and performs great on deer in the typical 150-250 yard range.

Apollo117

WKR
You couldn't pay me to part with my Savage M110 in 25'06. It's got that once in a lifetime accuracy.

I realize that's subjective, but the fact that my Tikka T3 25'06 shoots almost as well speaks pretty highly of the quarter bore IMO.

FLS

WKR
25-06 hits way above its weight class. I’ve killed a bunch of deer and a few antelope with one. Most with a 115 Ballistic Tip or a 117 Sierra Game King. Only a couple ever went more that a few yards from where they were hit. The cartridge has the energy to be lethal at 500+ yards if the rifle and shooter are capable.

Last edited:

Laramie

WKR
Theres been a lot “said” on this thread but it’s arguable that the most important (only?) question has yet to have been answered. See below.
Actually several of us have made specific recommendations. There is a lot of right answers and in reality any quality bullet designed for hunting will work just fine at standard factory felicities as long as the OP's rifle shoots them accurately.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Good to see you mentioning practice since you are talking about long shots. You mentioned only shooting out to 200 yards effectively so far?

The cartridge and rifle are capable on mule deer a long way out there, depending on load, 3 times as far as you’ve shot the 200 yard does. 350 yards is where we typically see most shooters start to “struggle” with most cartridges and there first few times trying to stretch out past 200 yard shots.

Do you plan on dialing? Planning on field verifying hits at different yardages? Happy to help provide some insight if you need.

Love the 117 Hornady SST in my Savage 25-06. Have many antelope with it and a couple decent mule deer at 300-350 yds drop where they stood. Heck of a round that is overlooked.

Dcrafton

WKR
@ sea level, 2000fps at 535 yards and 1800fps at 665 yards, for example.

Just remember that each bullet Manufacture has its velocity requirements for proper bullet expansion for ethical kills.
Most but not all are around that 1900 ft./s range.
That being said I really love my 25-06, but it does have its limitations for an ethical kill.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
For sure. My point was not to pick the specific effective range for that bullet (as I’ve neither researched the effective velocity limit for that bullet’s use on animals nor do I have experience with that particular bullet on animals). But instead, to illustrate that once you pick the effective minimum velocity of your specific bullet of choice, simply plug in your atmospherics and starting velocity and a simple ballistic calculator will tell you the maximum range within your parameters. It doesn’t have to be guesswork and conjecture.

Dcrafton

WKR
For sure. My point was not to pick the specific effective range for that bullet (as I’ve neither researched the effective velocity limit for that bullet’s use on animals nor do I have experience with that particular bullet on animals). But instead, to illustrate that once you pick the effective minimum velocity of your specific bullet of choice, simply plug in your atmospherics and starting velocity and a simple ballistic calculator will tell you the maximum range within your parameters. It doesn’t have to be guesswork and conjecture.

For me, I really like the Sterlok Pro. I use it with all my different calibers for dialing. It’s been pretty dead on. A good ballistic calculator is priceless in my opinion.

Afhunter1

WKR
Pretty much my only deer gun is a rem 700 with McMillan stock and Lija barrel.

110ab at 3260 in a 24” tube and no pressure yet.

7828ssc is 25-06 magic dust I think. Ha ha

OP
rzpalm

rzpalm

FNG
Lots off great info here. Thanks again. I will buy couple different rounds to test once it cools off. South Alabama heat is unbearable right now.

h8brick

FNG
You couldn't pay me to part with my Savage M110 in 25'06. It's got that once in a lifetime accuracy.

I realize that's subjective, but the fact that my Tikka T3 25'06 shoots almost as well speaks pretty highly of the quarter bore IMO.
I am thinking of getting a tikka in the 2506 , the barrel length is 22 correct? i was kind of wanting a longer barrel as most forum experienced guys say 26 is best but i am not sure and kind of hard to find without spending fortune , man oh man do i wish i still had my remington bdl in 25 dang it!!

Bghntr416

FNG
I have a friend with a custom 25-06 Ackley improved. He has hunted all over the world with it. He hot rods his quite a bit so it is faster but 500 yards will be no problem with a 25-06. Let us know how you do.

Spoonbill

WKR
I am thinking of getting a tikka in the 2506 , the barrel length is 22 correct? i was kind of wanting a longer barrel as most forum experienced guys say 26 is best but i am not sure and kind of hard to find without spending fortune , man oh man do i wish i still had my remington bdl in 25 dang it!!
I would be amazed if you could tell the difference in performance between a 22” tikka and a 26” rifle in the field.

Rich M

WKR
Further than you'll be comfortable shooting at a deer.

My 243 makes the numbers out to about 500 yards, so your 25-06 will do one better than that. I won't shoot past 400 tho.