25-06 Effective Range

rzpalm

FNG
I’m planning on carrying my 25-06 out west on a mule deer hunt. I have an assortment of calibers but I’m most confident with this gun. What would be the max effective range on a mule deer in your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
With a quality bullet in a factory load, the 25-06 is very capable of taking mule deer at 500 yards. The caliber is capable of further with load development but I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who isn't very practiced and educated on their particular gun/loads performance. Small errors exponentially become larger errors the further out you get. Practice a bunch and find your maximum effective range that you are confident in. I believe you will likely find your rifle to be more capable than your abilities. At least that is true with most, including myself.

If you are using a good bullet along the lines of a Nosler 110 gr. Accubond, 115 or 120 gr. Paritition, and you are a good shot, anything from 25-500 yards and you would be able to take a deer effectively. The 25-06 is an excellent cartridge. Practice a lot until you feel comfortable shooting up to those ranges. Also practice from hunting positions such as shooting over your pack as a rest, maybe using a bi-pod, or a downed tree as a rest. And practice some more. Best of luck on your hunt.

Tmac

WKR
My 25-06 with the Federal Fusion 120 gr. load is good to 500 ish at about 3’ in elevation on cold days. I try an keep impact speeds over 2k with it. 415 yards is my longest kill with it. Was a bang flop on a very large mule deer. Depending on your skill, load and environmental details, you might be able to stretch it to 600 or more.

OP
rzpalm

rzpalm

FNG
Thanks all for responses. I’ll be practiced up before my trip. I have many many kills with this rifle doing doe management on our home farm. Most shots are under 200 yards.

Dcrafton

WKR
I’ve carried a 25-06 for many years, I had mine set up for the 100 g triple shock Barnes. Awesome set up. 3308 FPS.
I hunted Texas for hogs (well over 50 hogs)
Colorado with over (18 deer)
Wyoming and utah(5 pronghorn)
Canada (2 bear)
That being said, most anything over 450 is a gamble.
The energy really starts to drop off

OP
rzpalm

rzpalm

FNG
I have to make sure I can get close enough. Im already spending a ton on my gear. I also have a 30-06 and a 7Mag. But they are both heavy, one is stainless with wood stock and one is not stainless. Im not sure I want to carry either one through the mountains. So that leads me back to my favorite rifle. 25-06

Laramie

WKR
I have to make sure I can get close enough. Im already spending a ton on my gear. I also have a 30-06 and a 7Mag. But they are both heavy, one is stainless with wood stock and one is not stainless. Im not sure I want to carry either one through the mountains. So that leads me back to my favorite rifle. 25-06
If you are comfortable shooting 300 you should be fine. I have shot a few deer further than that but in most cases, you can get withing that range. A 25-06 is a GREAT mule deer caliber. Don't overthink it too much. Good luck to you!

If you really lit a fire under a 115 VLD, it would easily do 1k. A 131 ACE is capable of more... Typical ammo will do 500 easily.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
rzpalm

rzpalm

FNG
131 ace? Not familiar with that

Dcrafton

WKR
131 ace? Not familiar with that

The 131 ACE blackjack is a great bullet but the standard 25-06 will not have a fast enough twist barrel to stabilize it.
I have a 25 PRC with a 1-7.5 twist pushing that 131 around 3160 FPS. It’s an awesome bullet but don’t waste your time and money with it until you Get a faster twist

OP
rzpalm

rzpalm

FNG
Ah ok. My 25-06 is a browning X-Bolt stainless stalker. Not sure how hot I can get with it.

FLAK

WKR
I have one I bought new years ago and I've killed one deer with it.
Planning on using it almost exclusively this year. Thing is like a Laser.
Think I've got 100 rounds of 110gr. Accubonds loaded up.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Subscribed. I’m a recent addition to the 25-06 (a Cooper that I’ve since had threaded, btw) fan club.

I believe the 25/06 is effective as far as the person can confidently shoot it.
Be more concerned with memorizing a Windrift table then how far it’s effective.

I shot a muley in Nebraska a few years ago under 50 to 60 mph wind conditions. I was never so thankful to have memorized statistics as I was at that moment.

OP
rzpalm

rzpalm

FNG
I’m not one for memorizing things. Don’t they have an app for that?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
quarter bores kill great out to 500-600. Anymore then that and the wind drift and low BC starts to overtake you. If you are a legit 900 yard killer its not the best choice. If your an average guy with average shots the 25-06 / 257 weatherby will serve you well. It does get there pretty darn quick with less drop. 36"ish of drop at 500 by my app.