257 weatherby or 300 win mag

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The problem that most are going to have with your argument is your delivery. Most folks aren't going to read it. It's given in such a way as to turn most folks off and few are going to read the details.
They grow bored very quickly. It's a classic case of "know your audience".

What people will look at is numbers.

So the answer is to give inaccurate information or to outright lie to them?

KRA-Z

FNG
Now if you had a .300 weatherby.... lol

shoot what you’re most comfortable with!
You’re going to be much more relaxed and confidant in your shot with the .257 will be plenty, at the ranges you’re hoping to keep with.

Super tag

WKR
I’ve hunted elk for years, they’re tough animals, clearly the 300 wm is a better choice. Conditions and circumstances aren’t always ideal, the advantages of the larger caliber could make a difference. I’ve hunted with the 257 and it's a great round, but in my opinion it’s not the best round for elk when you have a choice

Personally shot an Alaska bull moose. Used a 300 Wby with 180 partitions 3 good hits. Buddy who I was hunting with who lives there was using 338 Win mag 250gr partitions he also put 2 rounds in the animal. Weren’t taking any chances on letting it get away I guess. Showed little signs of hits until he tipped over. 150yards. When we tipped it over the size of the exits was no where even close in size. Saw firsthand what the difference was and it was a lot!!! 300 wby I thought was big. Boy was I wrong 😳

Personally shot an Alaska bull moose. Used a 300 Wby with 180 partitions 3 good hits. Buddy who I was hunting with who lives there was using 338 Win mag 250gr partitions he also put 2 rounds in the animal. Weren’t taking any chances on letting it get away I guess. Showed little signs of hits until he tipped over. 150yards. When we tipped it over the size of the exits was no where even close in size. Saw firsthand what the difference was and it was a lot!!! 300 wby I thought was big. Boy was I wrong 😳
Okay....

Where were the hits? Got video of the shooting?

A lot of what I have seen, especially with moose, is people shooting an animal that's already dead. Just because it didn't roll over instantly doesn't mean it needed 4 follow up shots from big magnums.

Don't mistake anchoring for killing humanely.

Okay....

Where were the hits? Got video of the shooting?

A lot of what I have seen, especially with moose, is people shooting an animal that's already dead. Just because it didn't roll over instantly doesn't mean it needed 4 follow up shots from big magnums.

Don't mistake anchoring for killing humanely

Yes moose was probably already going to die. Hard to tell whether or not it was hit. My first Alaska moose was going to empty Mag until it was laying dead. My point was that of the exit wounds between the two calibers the larger gun was way more devastating. Behind the front shoulder body cavity. Even one grazed the antler. Was bedded stood up after being shot. From what I’ve been told is that they take a long time to die. Off subject. Post was about caliber size. Larger is better when game is large. Not totally necessary but helps . And no no video seriously?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 12