26 nosler

NMYeti

FNG
So I just got a CZ 550 Sonoran western in 26 nosler with a 26” fluted barrel with a custom break on it. Has a manners stock and their single stage trigger on it. It was a steal of a buy so I jumped on it. Has 15 rounds down the tube and is clean. Before I buy ammo for it I did a twist rate check and it’s 1:9. Couldn’t find info on CZ website as this model is discontinued so had to do it old school. So with that being said, I have two options for factory ammo available locally. Nosler 140 AB and 129 double tap ammo. What do you guys recommend for it? I don’t hand load and it’s just going to be my backcountry mule deer/couse deer/sheep and speed goat gun. I already have 6.5 prc which is lights out just couldn’t pass a 800 dollar price on the gun. Any suggestions would help me out. Thanks.

The 9 twist may stabilize the 140‘s but I would lean on the 129’s. The 9.5 twist in my Model 7 will not stabilize the 140’s.

The 9 twist may stabilize the 140‘s but I would lean on the 129’s. The 9.5 twist in my Model 7 will not stabilize the 140’s.
This isn't bad advice, however speed and density altitude come into play regarding stability. Using factory ammo, a 26 Nosler is 450 fps faster than a 7-08 and will certainly stabilize a 140 with a 9 twist.

Hnttillmt

FNG
I would also favor the 129. Always better to be plenty stabilized than marginally stabilized. Terminal performance on game is where it really makes a difference. I really wanted to shoot hammer 131s in my 26. Recommend twist by hammer is 1.7.5 . Mine is a 8 twist. I thought the whole speed and elevation benefit would make it ok, but when I callled hammer and talked to Steve about it he told me it really isn’t going to help and highly recommended I just go with the 124. Haven’t loaded them up yet so no report there. You could also reference the twist calculator on Berger’s website

OP
N

NMYeti

FNG
Thanks for the information. I called CZ today and they told me that it came from factory with a 1:8 twist so idk why it showed me a 1:9 when I did the old school way to check. I’ll be going out to the range this weekend and I’ll do my tests with each box and see if this gun can shoot sub MOA at 100 as that is where I zero all my guns due to I use turrets for all my hunting applications. Thanks again...I’ll post the pics of the final groups on target and see what you all think.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The bore doesn't lie. If it showed you 9 twist, then it is a 9 twist or you did it wrong. In the end, if it shoots the bullet you want, then nothing else matters much.

khuber84

WKR
Your patch/rod method may have been skidding over some the rifling due to loose fitment not showing the true twist as well? Just a thought.