260 rem or 260 AI or a 7mm-08?

rmarshall

WKR
I have a Older 700 SA with a custom trigger, currently in a 243, I want to either a 260 rem, 260 AI or a 7-08. I currently have all the stuff to load the 260 rem and the 7-08. The only reason I'm thinking a 260 AI is to get a little more out of the 260 and 7-08 I already have. Do I just stick with one of those 2 or do an AI version? Im planning on a 24 " barrel. I don't shoot cans. Other calibers welcome as well. Thoughts and feedback please. thanks

gerry35

WKR
All three are good. I'm a fan of the 260 Rem and own one but the AI version is intriguing. You could make yourself an accurate fire forming load for practice and a full power load once you have your AI brass formed.

OP
R

rmarshall

WKR
All three are good. I'm a fan of the 260 Rem and own one but the AI version is intriguing. You could make yourself an accurate fire forming load for practice and a full power load once you have your AI brass formed.
thanks gerry! great thoughts

OP
R

rmarshall

WKR
My 7mm-08 is my main shooting iron. Deer, elk, antelope, whatever. Very easy on the shoulder but kills out of its weight class.

P
Pharm,
I do love the 7-08, i have some great 140 and 150 class bullets and your favorite powder too "Big Game"
What twist would you put in the barrel? 1-9? I doubt id ever shoot anything bigger than a 150. I have some 150 sciroccos that might work well.

OP
R

rmarshall

WKR
I'm over fire forming brass. Just too much for me. Now if you love the range and would shoot anyway the AI may fit your needs.

What's wrong with the 243? that's one of my favorites...
Fire forming isn't horrible, I had do it for my 280 AI when first starting shooting it. But it can get old.
Nothing wrong with the 243 I just love the option of a bigger pill..

elkguide

WKR
All good option but for me the 7mm08 shines much brighter. (I'm over fire forming.) The 7mm08 has a much wider range of options for bullets as well, 110 grain to 195 grains. My preference has always been the 140 class.

I’m a 260AI fan.

My current favorite load for mine shoots a 142 ABLR at 3044fps average with a 24” 7.5 twist Brux barrel.

I don’t know why folks get worked up over fireforming. There are many ways to skin that cat but you can absolutely group tune a load for at least seating depth while fireforming and then make minor tweaks after cases are fully formed.

Unless you are a “shoot 3 shots the week before season to verify zero” type of hunter, you should be shooting hundreds of rounds a year anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pharm,
I do love the 7-08, i have some great 140 and 150 class bullets and your favorite powder too "Big Game"
What twist would you put in the barrel? 1-9? I doubt id ever shoot anything bigger than a 150. I have some 150 sciroccos that might work well.

Our Tikkas love the 150 eldx. Tikkas are what, 1-9.5?

Sure, 1-9 would work.

P

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I loved my old 260 AI. Great round. I was shooting the 142SMK's right at 3000fps. 28in barrel, and the load was not pushing pressure at all.

Shot it in PRS comps for 2 years until I burned the barrel out.

Fireforming brass did get old, but it was a sweet round.

OP
R

rmarshall

WKR
Thanks for the advice all, I currently have a 260 rem, I’ve been shooting them before the creed was ever close to conception. I’ll never go to one of them, yes the ammo is available and reasonable but I won’t do it. I’ll keep it a 243 before I buy a creed barrel. Please No offense all but it’s not my cup a tea. I load my own ammo and have plenty of stuff to keep doing so.

gerry35

WKR
Thanks for the advice all, I currently have a 260 rem, I’ve been shooting them before the creed was ever close to conception. I’ll never go to one of them, yes the ammo is available and reasonable but I won’t do it. I’ll keep it a 243 before I buy a creed barrel. Please No offense all but it’s not my cup a tea. I load my own ammo and have plenty of stuff to keep doing so.
I feel the same way been happy with the 260 since 1997 and see no need to change. My Tikka has an 8 twist and the M+ magazine. Seems since you have a good 260 adding a 260 AI or 7mm-08 would be the choice that makes the most sense.

06 SB

FNG
Another vote for the 338Fed. You already have the other 308 based cartridges covered. Go bigger!

Grundy53

WKR
Wow. Did a 6.5 creedmoor beat up your dog or something... seems like some deep seeded animosity there...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk