26th Annual Mule Deer Mortality Study- SW Wyoming

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I’m definitely not a poster anywhere online, but I read a lot. Guess that makes me a lurker. Maybe I should post sometimes. Robby I wish I would have known you were coming through I live just north of Cokeville I would have bought you guys dinner at the buckle, or at least pizza at the j. For a chance to chat deer with you a bit.
don't be shy, lurkers miss out on the real fun. Will you be at the Evanston study?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby,

Did you drive down through Cody area? Wondering how the deer a little farther north and east fared.

The real question within the question: how localized are the regions of winterkill? I always thought a bad winter in one area was a bad winter everywhere. If the western part of the state got hit, what other areas got hit and what got spared? It sounds like certain ranges got hit hard, but other ranges or maybe lower elevations may escape snowpack and give animals a chance to survive.

No, I didn't get that far N and E. But you're right in that winterkill can often be spotty. Check with your local bio before applying.

No I won’t be making it down to Evanston. Family stuff keeping me tied up. I cover lots of ground between Evanston and star valley for work all year. I’m lucky enough to get a pretty good look at a lot of what happens, besides talking with Jeff and Gary and comparing what we see.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
When is the Evanston one? I might be able to drive up from Utard and volunteer some time. I wanted to burn my points on H next year.... I might just wait for G at this point.

This Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be at a soccer game this Saturday or I'd do the Evanston one.
I plan to hunt H next year regardless.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be at a soccer game this Saturday or I'd do the Evanston one.
I plan to hunt H next year regardless.

It’s certainly not going to get much better for a while so now is not a bad choice.

Robby, have you heard much about the winter kill around Saratoga?

I don't have good historical data for you on if this is a lot (felt like a lot) but I do have some anecdotal evidence. I counted 6 dead deer including a forky buck in a 3/4 mile stretch while shed hunting last weekend. It definitely wasn't an easy winter on the deer, but I also think it could have been worse out in eastern Wyoming.

jmcd22

WKR
Thanks Jordan, uncertain if we will be around Saratoga this year or in the NW....maybe Idaho instead. Thanks!

Depends on what area of Idaho you are thinking of going to. Much of central Idaho and eastern Idaho got hammered as well.

This was not a good winter for many of our ungulate populations across the west...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have family pictures with the in-laws saturday and will get my hide tanned by the Mrs. if I miss it. I really wanted to go. That's a bummer

Dang, that’s a tough one to wiggle out of, there!!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Update. I hit the Evanston study (Region K deer) yesterday with my daughter Sophia. The turnout was less than last weekend. Did a 6 mile loop with Jeff Short. Seems the winterkill was even worse than further north. Here’s some pics. There is some video on my IG page and an interview with the biologist on my live IG. But that last video disappears at 1pm today as IG purges all the live stuff but live is the only way to do a long video.

fa72b9dd736d3ca8c5e7e7fd715266db.jpg

3c2d1461abafd99caad2206f42eaadf1.jpg
fd667c7db2f58c25e968ce6c5db052e5.jpg
c6de067b08102b1f43e1a2a52c2ba715.jpg
9fc02a2077b525339436b0dac698490b.jpg

So I found more dead deer in a shorter amount of time than last week. That doesn’t mean much with one person and a small sample size but as Jeff says in that IG interview, we know it was a bad winter for SW Wyoming.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I encourage everyone to watch the Jeff Short interview. It's very insightful on how biologist try to manage the population. I learned tons of information and learned to look at things from a different perspective. Thanks Robby to your family for volunteering and giving back to muledeer and especially for sharing with the rest of us that didn't make it out there.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

elkguide

WKR
Wish that I had seen this sooner. Would have loved to have seen that interview.

Sure is a great thing that your daughter does NOT look like you!!!!!!