27-6.5 PRC

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Kickin an idea for a future build around. I like the idea of the 6.8 Western, but factory support is nil. The only brass you can get comes from Winchester, and I’ve never liked that stuff.

The 6.5 PRC, though, has tons of available brass and Lapua even makes brass for it, which I could easily neck up to .277 and make something darn similar to the 6.8 Western.

Some benefits aside from brass availability is the use of less powder and large rifle primers, which I have scads of.

What says the peanut gallery?

Last edited:
OP
Nhenry

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Would you call it a 6.8 Midwestern? 😂
I think it’s a good idea.
Absolutely I would and I would give you credit for the naming convention. Seems fitting because of where I’m from.

I wanna do it just because of the name now

B23

WKR
Do you plan to shoot the heavy for caliber .277 bullets like the Berger 170's? If you are, I would probably look at bumping up to the 7PRC as your parent case. ADG is making 7PRC brass now and a 270-7PRC would probably push those 170's 150-200fps faster then a 270-6.5PRC.

Or, maybe split the difference and use the SAUM as your parent case and do a 270 SAUM that way you could still use a short action like you could with a 270-6.5PRC but it would give you more velocity.

I just don't see why. What would it do that a 6.5 PRC or 7 SAUM wont? Seems like extra work/money without a real performance benefit.

I get that some folks like to be unique but just from doing 6.5 SAUM back when you had to neck down and turn 7 or 300 SAUM brass was enough to cure me of dicking around with that stuff again!

OP
Nhenry

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Do you plan to shoot the heavy for caliber .277 bullets like the Berger 170's? If you are, I would probably look at bumping up to the 7PRC as your parent case. ADG is making 7PRC brass now and a 270-7PRC would probably push those 170's 150-200fps faster then a 270-6.5PRC.

Or, maybe split the difference and use the SAUM as your parent case and do a 270 SAUM that way you could still use a short action like you could with a 270-6.5PRC but it would give you more velocity.
I was thinking about doing a more practical version of the 6.8 Western. Heavier Hammers like the 160gr HHT, or the 165 ABLR. Not really looking for a magnum that uses more powder and different, harder to find primers. Plus, 7 PRC brass is a hot commodity right now.

SAUM isn't a bad idea, but get reminded that a lot of F-Class guys are using the 7 PRCW (6.5 PRC brass necked up to 7mm) with great success. It'd be similar to that.

OP
Nhenry

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I just don't see why. What would it do that a 6.5 PRC or 7 SAUM wont? Seems like extra work/money without a real performance benefit.

I get that some folks like to be unique but just from doing 6.5 SAUM back when you had to neck down and turn 7 or 300 SAUM brass was enough to cure me of dicking around with that stuff again!
Absolutely nothing.

Like I said, the 6.8 Western intrigues me. I was just kicking around an idea because the Western isn't really a long term viable option, but I'd like something similar.

BDWMT

FNG
270-7 PRC would be a great round to play with. I’m intrigued and will probably build one at some point. Just something about 270 nostalgia paired with the 170 Berger.

Reactions: B23

B23

WKR
270-7 PRC would be a great round to play with. I’m intrigued and will probably build one at some point. Just something about 270 nostalgia paired with the 170 Berger.
Should be very similar in performance to the 270 Weatherby mag but without a belted case. For a hunting rifle a 270-7PRC slinging the 170 Berger's would make for a nice setup.

Harvey_NW

WKR
I like it. The 6.8 didn't appeal to me for the exact same reason, but the 27 cal is starting to now with some modernized bullet designs available. Have a tight throated no turn reamer made for Peterson or Lapua and I'll get one chambered too.