.270 Tikka T3x or Browning X-Bolt Stainless using solid copper bullets

Looking to pickup a .270 this year in either T3x or X-Bolt. Can anyone who has owned either of these two rifles confirm if they group solid copper ammo reasonably well?

I have a T3x in 270 that didn’t shoot either mono I tried in it well. But that has nothing to do with Tikka and everything to do with this particular barrel. IMO, there isn’t a manufacturer that makes a barrel that “groups monos reasonably well”. It all comes down to the particular barrel you end up with.

I also have a 300WM Tikka barrel that shoots monos incredibly well, five shots at .6”. It’s barrel specific.

Macintosh

WKR
Tikka 270 here. Mine groups 130 ttsx factory ammo on average of about .6-.7moa for 3 shots, a bit over an inch for 10 shots. On paper-only according to some of the online stability calculators some of the monos with a higher bc (lrx and some of the boutique ammo) may be a bit marginal out of a 1:10 at sea level, but I havent actually found any lrx ammo to try and I dont handload, so cant say firsthand. The ttsx’s group fine for me.

OP
L
Tikka 270 here. Mine groups 130 ttsx factory ammo on average of about .6-.7moa for 3 shots, a bit over an inch for 10 shots. On paper-only according to some of the online stability calculators some of the monos with a higher bc (lrx and some of the boutique ammo) may be a bit marginal out of a 1:10 at sea level, but I havent actually found any lrx ammo to try and I dont handload, so cant say firsthand. The ttsx’s group fine for me.
Those are great results!

Buy the Tikka T3X 270! Mine shoots 3/4" groups @100 yds. with Barnes VORTX TTX 130 grs. off range sandbags. Only modification I made was to replace the stock plastic trigger guard with a Mountain Tactical bottom metal. Will be lugging mine into the Wyoming mountains after big mule deer next week.
Waiting to pick up a 7PRC in 2024 when Tikka brings them out. Hoping they step up their game and come out with a lightweight adjustable LR stock.

My 2 cents. I like what Browning has done with the X-Bolt line. Good ergonomics stock trigger not as crisp as the Tikka's.

JohnB

WKR
My T3x 270 does similar with off the shelf Barnes TTSX but gets into the 2+" group range with LRX.

Macintosh

WKR
Reading what I wrote makes it sound better than it is, “a bit over an inch” is just under 1.5”. Maybe 1.3-1.4 normally, which ime is pretty standard for a 10-round group in a rifle that usually hovers just under 3/4” for 3 shots. Not winning any awards but about as good as I’ve owned in an off the shelf rifle and plenty for my needs.

Tmac

WKR
2 of my 3 Tikka‘s shoot mono’s well, one is about as accurate as they come with 130 TTSX’s, the other shoots 129 LRX’s into an inch-ish. My other one sprays mono’s all over, but shoots Fusions and Terminal Ascents close to an inch. All are SS in 270 Win.

Only been around 2 X-bolts. Both were very accurate with regular lead bullets. Monos were not tried. 30-06 and a 7mmRM. No reason an X-bolt shouldn’t shoot mono’s well. Odds are most will and some will not, about like my Tikka’s.

I’d say pick the rifle you like. Bet there is about an equal chance either will shoot mono’s well.