270 WSM in standard length magnum action

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Been a while since I've posted, but I know lots of you guys like the 300 WSM. I'm looking at the 270 WSM throated long and twisted fast enough to shoot the 165 accubond lr. Seems like a guy could get the best of both worlds of tge 6.8 western and the extra capacity of the wsm. Is there any reason this wouldn't work in a long action magnum Remington 700? I have a 7mm rm that needs a barrel anyway. Would I be better off swapping the Remington off for a Tikka? I know Tikkas work great for wsm's, and would probably be cheaper to rebarrel in the long run, but I've never owned one, and tge recoil lug has always bothered me for whatever reason. Any input from those with experience will be appreciated.
Robert

Last edited:

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I built a 7 wsm on a rem700 long action. Seat 175gr berger bullets at 2.450" CBTO, works out to 3.1xx" no feeding issues from a box mag. Lots of room in the case for powder over SA seating depth.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I usually say build off what you have, but I would want a better extractor for a hand loaded Magnum. Would you need a new stock and trigger?

You could probably sell the rifle and build off a Tikka without much more.

If you are going to buy a new stock and trigger, etc. you might consider a budget custom action as well.

If you feel comfortable screwing on a prefit to an Origin, you can get a .270 magnum in one flavor or another. I know the Sherman stuff is available and easy button, but you pay a little more for it. Preferred will do an Origin prefit in Sherman calibers.

My 7ss shooting a 180 gets over 3100 if I wanted. My buddies 6.5 SS shooting 150s is over 3200. They are 1000 yard guns based on terminal velocity of 1800 fps.

If that’s ballpark to make you happy, it’s an option.

Love me some short mag magic!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I built a 7 wsm on a rem700 long action. Seat 175gr berger bullets at 2.450" CBTO, works out to 3.1xx" no feeding issues from a box mag. Lots of room in the case for powder over SA seating depth.
What velocity you pushing?

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I usually say build off what you have, but I would want a better extractor for a hand loaded Magnum. Would you need a new stock and trigger?

You could probably sell the rifle and build off a Tikka without much more.

If you are going to buy a new stock and trigger, etc. you might consider a budget custom action as well.

If you feel comfortable screwing on a prefit to an Origin, you can get a .270 magnum in one flavor or another. I know the Sherman stuff is available and easy button, but you pay a little more for it. Preferred will do an Origin prefit in Sherman calibers.

My 7ss shooting a 180 gets over 3100 if I wanted. My buddies 6.5 SS shooting 150s is over 3200. They are 1000 yard guns based on terminal velocity of 1800 fps.

If that’s ballpark to make you happy, it’s an option.

Love me some short mag magic!
It's a complete rifle, just needs re-barreling. I've heard people talk about extraction problems with 700's but I've never had any issues with it. I have a 300wm and probably put 750 to 1000 shots through the 7 mag that now needs the barrel, all but a few with stiff handloads. Have you personally had issues with extraction on a 700?

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, this is exactly what I wanted to know. I think my decision is made now.

mcr-85

WKR
Only pic I have handy but this is a 270 wsm on a rem 700 long action. It's got a ptg bolt with a m16 extractor on it.
Stockys VG stock and a Trigger Tech. It's got a Benchmark 1-9 barrel that is probably a bit longer than I'd do now but it's fine. It's 28"+ brake.

I shoot the Berger 170 EOL at 3050 with Retumbo. Overall length with that bullet is 3.0835".
d97408b7a39639c01e3952e8ea1b0f0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It's a complete rifle, just needs re-barreling. I've heard people talk about extraction problems with 700's but I've never had any issues with it. I have a 300wm and probably put 750 to 1000 shots through the 7 mag that now needs the barrel, all but a few with stiff handloads. Have you personally had issues with extraction on a 700?
Yeah, just put a new barrel on it it that’s all you need.

I haven’t run 700 without the m16 extractor. I err on the side of caution, you are right, the vast majority don’t have a problem. Some do…

I probably talk with too many smiths that see the broken ones and stuck cases. I am risk averse when it comes to my gun. I think too much about what could go wrong and plan for it. Cheap insurance to me. A little moisture in the chamber, high pressure and that is when Murphy would strike me with my luck, hahaha.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Only pic I have handy but this is a 270 wsm on a rem 700 long action. It's got a ptg bolt with a m16 extractor on it.
Stockys VG stock and a Trigger Tech. It's got a Benchmark 1-9 barrel that is probably a bit longer than I'd do now but it's fine. It's 28"+ brake.

I shoot the Berger 170 EOL at 3050 with Retumbo. Overall length with that bullet is 3.0835".
d97408b7a39639c01e3952e8ea1b0f0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
That's a nice looking rifle. If I can get a 165 close to 3000 with a 24" I'll be quite happy. I'll probably end up shooting some lighter monos for whitetails here at home as my shots will be inside 300, but the rifle is being set up with elk hunting out west in mind. I think that 165 should do fine to 600, which is probably as far as I'd shoot. Thanks for the info.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, just put a new barrel on it it that’s all you need.

I haven’t run 700 without the m16 extractor. I err on the side of caution, you are right, the vast majority don’t have a problem. Some do…

I probably talk with too many smiths that see the broken ones and stuck cases. I am risk averse when it comes to my gun. I think too much about what could go wrong and plan for it. Cheap insurance to me. A little moisture in the chamber, high pressure and that is when Murphy would strike me with my luck, hahaha.
I should've been more specific about my rifle. It's a complete rifle, but a factory action outside of a trigger tech trigger. I'll have to get the action squared up when I change barrels. I may go ahead and have the m-16 extractor added on. Like you say, it's fairly cheap insurance that might save a hunt for a guy.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Compare the cost breakdown for truing snd installation of the extractor. It’s the smith work like that which ultimately pushes the money to a Tikka or a budget custom, if you just sell the 700.

You could sell the 700 and put that cash with the cash to true it and have a Tikka instead. That’s why the Tikka is such a deal. You can sell the take off barrel and stock to put towards a new stock.

You get a Tikka action with upgrade. Some guys don’t like to deal with that though. But, I t’s what drives the Tikka fad.

If you add in a little more money, you can get a budget custom and then get trigger and stock.

But, any of the options will end up with a sweet shooting rifle.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an 80's rem700 and a barrel, had a trigger tech trigger already and had the Smith put the barrel on and chamber as well as true the action. Was about the same price as buying a tikka up here in chinada

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an 80's rem700 and a barrel, had a trigger tech trigger already and had the Smith put the barrel on and chamber as well as true the action. Was about the same price as buying a tikka up here in chinada
Nice, my 700 is actually a 1963 model 7 mag. It's the second year of production if I'm not mistaken. The bolt sounds way more substantial than my newer 700's. I think the tikka is honestly the better setup for the wsm's, due to the single stack mag and ease of barrel swaps, but I'm just not sure I want one. I never have loved the recoil lug setup on them. Also, I'm very accustomed to the 700. The only question I have left is 270 wsm or 7mm. I'm leaning towards the 270, since I have another 7 mag and a 7mm-08 already. Oh yeah, that chinada joke had me belly laughing.

Last edited:

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see an issue building off that action at all. I'd go 270wsm over 7wsm, brass is very hard to find. Or you need to fire form off 300wsm if you can find that.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I don't see an issue building off that action at all. I'd go 270wsm over 7wsm, brass is very hard to find. Or you need to fire form off 300wsm if you can find that.
The brass is the main reason I'm leaning towards 270 wsm. Norma makes 300 and 270 wsm, but no 7mm. In fact the only 7mm I could find are hornady and winchester. I'm picky about my brass, and have never had issues with norma at all. I don't really like necking down as you often have to ream the necks to get rid of the "donut" left at the bottom of the neck.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
It's really too bad no one else make wsm brass, I'd love some factory 7wsm from a quality manufacturer like adg or Lapua, Norma. Nothing out there though

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
It's really too bad no one else make wsm brass, I'd love some factory 7wsm from a quality manufacturer like adg or Lapua, Norma. Nothing out there though
Just saw on midway that Barnes has released a 155 grain lrx in .277. That seals the deal for the 270 for me. Barnes' data for 6.8 Western is just a tick under 3000 fps, so I should easily get a couple hundred more. Should be a nasty pill.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
As a 6.8W guy, I'd love to have the slight case capacity improvement with the 270WSM and shoot the 175g Sierra's that I've had real good success with. A fast twist 270WSM would be a great all purpose gun.

OP
RMajors

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
As a 6.8W guy, I'd love to have the slight case capacity improvement with the 270WSM and shoot the 175g Sierra's that I've had real good success with. A fast twist 270WSM would be a great all purpose gun.
That's my way of seeing the situation as well. The 6.8 really intrigued me, but in my case I already have a long action, so I thought why not have both the fast twist and the extra powder? I think it'll be a killer setup.